The Olympics random thoughts thread (may contain spoilers) (Read 1312 times)

Feeling the growl again

C'mon people.  Way too little traffic on here regarding T&F events, this has been an amazing Olympics.  Rushida and the entire final in the 800m today....holy wah.  The US leadoff 4X400 guy running a 46.1 split breaking is leg 200m in.  I'm still hoping they re-show that one tonight.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C'mon people.  Way too little traffic on here regarding T&F events, this has been an amazing Olympics.  Rushida and the entire final in the 800m today....holy wah.  The US leadoff 4X400 guy running a 46.1 split breaking is leg 200m in.  I'm still hoping they re-show that one tonight.  

to think that Coe's record stood for ~20 years speaks volumes about how good it was, and the way it was broken today was amazing.

to think that Coe's record stood for ~20 years speaks volumes about how good it was, and the way it was broken today was amazing.

Kipketer broke Coe's record back  in the late 90s, and Rushida's had the WR for a couple years now.

But Coe's time did stand for some 15 years or so -- pretty solid stuff.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Two steeplechase questions:

1. The final looked like it started at the 3000 waterfall start line (the inner one). But the water jump is inside the track (at the London Olympic track), so doesn't that mean the London Olympic steeple is short of 3000? Or was that a dedicated "3000 steeple" waterfall start line?
          2. Why did Kemboi cut out to lane 7 (or so) in the final straight? Just so he could lay down immediately on the track?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Two steeplechase questions:

1. The final looked like it started at the 3000 waterfall start line (the inner one). But the water jump is inside the track (at the London Olympic track), so doesn't that mean the London Olympic steeple is short of 3000? Or was that a dedicated "3000 steeple" waterfall start line?
            2. Why did Kemboi cut out to lane 7 (or so) in the final straight? Just so he could lay down immediately on the track?

I'm pretty certain that they've figured out how to make sure the distance is correct.

Kemboi is just weird - he always does that. Check out videos of his WC win last year.

No run...need sleepy!

xor

I'm pretty certain that they've figured out how to make sure the distance is correct

This being the Olympics, I'd bet that we'd all agree.  Look at Perry's comment like this "I can't tell where they made up this distance; can someone help a brother out?"  (I cannot help my brother.  I did not see it.)

Steeple has its own starting line. FFS, people.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Steeple has its own starting line. FFS, people.

How far is the steeple start from the 5000 start? Do both have inner & outer waterfall lines?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Also, in 4x400 Womens Heat 1, they seemed to break immediately to lane 1 instead of running the tangent to the corner - how come?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How far is the steeple start from the 5000 start? Do both have inner & outer waterfall lines?

Here is a hypothetical example drawing, I think, giving it 35m back: http://www.steeplechics.com/facequip.php?drawing=3

Also, in 4x400 Womens Heat 1, they seemed to break immediately to lane 1 instead of running the tangent to the corner - how come?

I noticed that too. Seems odd they wouldn't take the shortest path to the corner. Perhaps it was all about position. 

This is why we talk about non track and field stuff.  Too many lines and too many rules in T&F.

With waterpolo, you just dunk the guy with the other color ear muff, and throw the volleyball looking ball into the floating soccer net. 

No questions to ask about any details.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

xor

You also knee him in the crotch which nobody sees because it is underwater.  Water polo is a brutal sport.

This is why we talk about non track and field stuff.  Too many lines and too many rules in T&F.

With waterpolo, you just dunk the guy with the other color ear muff, and throw the volleyball looking ball into the floating soccer net. 

No questions to ask about any details.

LOL, but waterpolo seemed to have it's fair share of rules. I'm still looking for the horses. And Ralph.