first 10 mile week (Read 946 times)

Okay big deal... I have done 10 miles in a day (several years ago). I am proud of it none the less! I am big guy 235 (started over 250) and a recent ex-smoker. I actually ran more the last day of the week than I anticiapated and felt good. I started back in Janurary very slow. I made a plan to increase by 10% week until I got a decent base. First couple weeks I stayed to a pretty strict schedule. Then I decided to just go and do what feels good. Funny thing is last night I did the math and I am almost perfectly on pace for an extra 10% per week. People seem that they feel 10% to be to restricting. If you stick with it though it is pretty aggressive, you double your workouts every weeks. Okay time to ease up for a week or so and then make another push Smile
      Good job. Keep it up!
      Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Way to go, Chris! You're doing it the right way.
        celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Chris-- Congratulations! That's great progress. Big grin

Chris
          PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Congratulations! I look forward to hearing more as the months go on. Smile

Michelle

Think Whirled Peas

Nice job Chris. Sounds like you figured out what works for you and you're doing a GREAT JOB of sticking to it. Keep it up!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Lazy idiot

Chris, this is awesome. way to be disciplined. I wish I'd done last year what you're doing now. Instead, I spent many nights not running due to beginner's overuse injuries. Keep up the steady work!

Tick tock

Good Job, Chris! It is difficult to begin again....I am in the same boat. Keep it up!
                  Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
                    Keep up the good work! You ran 10 more miles than the guy sitting on his couch!!
                      speaking of injuries... I would like to see some research on running injuries. When are they the most likelty? Are they most likely the first couple weeks? Months? Are beginners just as likely to get hurt as veterans?

Another Passion

Well done, Chris and... awesome job on kicking the smokes. I'm an ex-inhaler as well. Keep it up!

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Just wanted to give you a pat on the back too, Chris! You're accomplishing a lot and going about it in a very smart manner. I started out doing too much at first and spent time on and off of the bench. Stay disciplined and hopefully you won't have to go there! Congratulations and keep us posted please!
                            Well done, Chris and... awesome job on kicking the smokes. I'm an ex-inhaler as well. Keep it up!
                            Hey rvelich, I just noticed your GCM avatar and I looked over your blog... I am from NWOhio. Did the marathon do you in?? I noticed you have not run since. : ) Black eye Great cause and I am now a fan of you and your running. Keep it up and..... Go Kicking Mules!
                            Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD

Another Passion

Hey rvelich, I just noticed your GCM avatar and I looked over your blog... I am from NWOhio. Did the marathon do you in?? I noticed you have not run since. : ) Black eye Great cause and I am now a fan of you and your running. Keep it up and..... Go Kicking Mules!
                              As they (whoever "they" are) say, small world, Cougar! The marathon was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I went into the race (stupidly, but not ignorantly, as many might think) knowing that I risked the possibility of doing more damage to a nagging lower leg issue that I had been experiencing since February. I haven't been able to run since the marathon due to my leg injury, which was most definitely worsened by the marathon. I have no regrets though. Still haven't determined what the injury is to my leg, but I go for an MRI this evening at Flower Hospital, which as you know is in your neighborhood. See, definitely a small world. I'll be back in time. You can count on it. Wink Mishka, from here, also lives in Toledo and was instrumental in me even finishing the GCM. I love this community (RA that is... and my actual physical one as well). Kicking Mules... how long do you think it took them to think that one up?!? Funny thing, the mascot name was too long to fit entirely on my class ring so it says, "Kick'g Mules". Big grin When I'm able to finally get back at it, we'll have to meet up for some runs at Wildwood or somewhere. We can invite Mishka and his emu too. Thanks for the kind comments, Cougar. Smile Sorry for the brief highjack, Chris and... every milestone is a milestone so, keep at it! Smile

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Mishka-old log

Mishka, from here, also lives in Toledo and was instrumental in me even finishing the GCM. I love this community (RA that is... and my actual physical one as well).
                                Oh, and it gets crazier...ready? Cougar89 is Coach Briggs, and his dad was my coach (Coach Briggs) when I was in HS. Back then, our school was part of the GLL with Bedford and Coach Masters was coaching even then. Coach Masters and Coach Mahoney are sometimes running pals of mine (even more for Cougar89 as he lives closer to them).