Basketball (Read 1144 times)

Menace to Sobriety

Round ball season is almost upon us. I play in an over 30 league(I'm waaay over 30). We practice a couple times a week which consists of 60 to 90 minutes of full court pick up basketball. On basketball days, I may run 30-40 minutes easy in the AM, then play ball at night. What would seem to be a reasonable assignment of mileage for the b-ball. I'm thinking about 1 mile per 10 minutes of play. Also, for the record, running 40 miles per week does NOT get you in shape for basketball. All that starting, stopping, jumping and changing directions is a killer.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I don't think you can really make any kind of equivalence like that. Nothing meaningful, anyway.
        I agree. Log it as basketball time. For running, I'm thinking 0 miles per 10 minutes. Maybe even less.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Basketball and long distance running don't mix, I could jam it 4 years ago, and have lost at least 12 inches off my jump because of repetitive muscle usage of the hamstrings during long distance running, I am currently riding bike only or stepper and squatting again and starting to feel a little better. After I get my squat to 300lbs, I will start doing plyometrics and very short burst drills on stepper or EFX like 20 minutes at 160 HR. In other words, everything I do is geared towards explosive strength bursts, I might even do 10, 20 and 50 meter dashes. 1/2 marathon times while dunking it were bad,but good 1/2 marathon times equals no jumping at all. Also I do jump exercies with jump shoes additionally.

Menace to Sobriety

Let me know how that works out. I could jump like a rabbit a few years back, but once I hit early 40s, it really fell off fast. I know distance running has a negative effect, but I suspect age is the bigger factor.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I am 48 now, and still you just have to do the proper things, everything must be geared towards explosive strength, I am only 6'1" and built more like Phelps with shorter legs than upper body, the shoes of choice for basketball are Nike Shox because you can cross train with also on like an elliptical, squatting is imperative and dashes are also, you have to remember you only get a couple of steps, so you have to be able to generate quickness in very little time, it will be interesting to see if I can get it back at my age, but since I went to bike I have already gained back a few pounds, as squat goes up I will shorten the dashes and start working on one and two legged jumping exercises. Alan Iverson from rumors can still run a sub 5 minute mile which is an indication of explosive anaerobic strength and good athletic ability.

Menace to Sobriety

Alan Iverson from rumors can still run a sub 5 minute mile which is an indication of explosive anaerobic strength and good athletic ability.
                You sure that's not Rip Hamilton? I've heard he was that fast. I haven't heard that about Iverson either way.

Insert witty title here

I'm thinking about 1 mile per 10 minutes of play.
                  For that to be true you would have to run around the court at a constant rate of 6mph the entire time.. I'm not a bball guy but that seems unlikely. I see a lot less running and a lot more standing still or moving short distances while at 1 end of the court. You could always play outside sometime and wear a Garmin and see how far it says you ran.

ThomasRuns Blog
                  Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]