Miserable winter in England (Read 984 times)

My running was going so well until it started getting dark by 6pm. Any ideas how to motivate yourself when you cannot run in the sunshine. I have no night running gear, anyone got any good kit for staying safe in the dark .The weight is piling on and I need some encouragement to get off my fattening arse and back ounding the streets. The gym is OK but I get bored after about 8k on the treadmill.

Si

JakeKnight

My running was going so well until it started getting dark by 6pm. Any ideas how to motivate yourself when you cannot run in the sunshine. I have no night running gear, anyone got any good kit for staying safe in the dark .The weight is piling on and I need some encouragement to get off my fattening arse and back ounding the streets. The gym is OK but I get bored after about 8k on the treadmill.
      I lived in Scotland for three years, so I feel your pain on the miserable winters. And I, too, frickin' hate running in the dark. And on the treadmill. But before the other folks here offer their wisdom on a hundred different flashlights, glow in the dark vests, helmets with lights on them, and assorted geekery ... how about the obvious question: can you run in the morning? It's still too dark then, too, for now, but the clocks move back an hour in a couple weeks (unless the U.K. doesn't do the daylight savings thing!). Can you get on the road by 6 or 7 in the morning, before work? Or are you so far north that it's still not light then? (By the way, getting moving earlier supposedly boosts your metabolism all day, making it easier to keep off the pounds, and letting you eat more curry. Although why you Brits like your curry is completely beyond me Cool )

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Go Pre!

I am one of the fortunate ones that likes running at night...I prefer the sunshine but if it's warm, night is good. I live in an area that's well lit which helps. As for what to do, I have snap on flashing lights about the size of ... hmmm ... about the size of a poker chip Smile that can clip on sleeves or pants or running belts. Reflective clothing is highly recommended of course. These are the times yuo avoid your music or at least keep it really low....just in case Jack the Ripper or light-less cyclist crosses your path. Run fast!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Although why you Brits like your curry is completely beyond me Cool )
          Maybe because it totally rawks!!! I could eat curry several times/week (another reason I wish we had a Trader Joe's--they have some awesome curries)! Big grin I agree with Jake...if you can get out in the AM, do so. But even then motivation can be hard. We have pretty "british" cloud cover in these parts during at least 6 months of the year and I can already see it killing my motivation (add rain, wind, snow...ick). Even though the Summer heat and humidity were miserable, I really hate bundling up and feeling so cold as I first step outside. It's enough to make a person turn around and crawl back into bed. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just suck it up and go. Eventually it becomes a habit. It's actually that simple. I'm an early morning runner which means I'm running in the dark from October through March. Get a reflective vest if you're worried about cars seeing you. Pretty soon it will be brutally cold, too, and I'll be longing for the mornings when it was just dark. What's the alternative, not run? Then you'll be fat AND bummed that it's dark out all winter.

Runners run

I agree w/ Mike...suck it up & go. We have clouds & rain, then wind & snow, then more cold, wind & snow. A blizzard, then a freeze, then some biting wind that almost knocks you backwards. Getting out there sucks. The first few miles suck. Your body is cold & tight, it doesn't want to relax & run. It hurts to breathe in the cold air. But you do it. You run that first couple of miserable miles, then a couple more, then 5 more. And when you are done, you drink a big cup of hot cocoa & say, "screw you, Old Man Winter, I ran & kicked your cold, miserable ass!"
              So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                Hi Simo, I lived in England up until the age of 24 and did many night runs. I have several suggestions; Don't sit down, never get comfortable at home before you want to leave. Tell yourself that you will run for 10 mins and if you dont feel like running after those 10 minutes to turn around and go home. Get some good comfortable pants and long sleeved a hat and gloves (you can always tuck the hat and gloves in your pants. Being warm means you won't stop to get cold. Agree to run with someone, that means you cant let someone else down as well Tongue I hope they help. Simon
                  Cold and Dark is the name of the game for me in the next few months. I'm in NE Scotland, a wee bit North of where JakeKnight lived, and it's real cold and real dark. Up here you travel to and from work in the dark for months so unless your out at lunchtime you've got to "suck it up". I don't as yet so everything I'm doing already is at night. My suggestions for coping/keeping it going are- 1) Buy a couple of cheap track suits (ones with a hooded top so you can look like Rocky and with the slight furry/thermal ling to them). You can wear these over your more usual stuff in combination to suit the prevailing conditions. They're cheap so you can get them wet/dirty. You can always open the zip, put your hat in the pockets etc. to make you more comfy again dependent on the conditions. Apart from the pretending you're Rocky bit (.........eye of the tiger it's the thrill of the fight, rising up to the......................)I found these extremely helpful in keeping me going in snow & rain last winter. They are quite heavy but these are only for training so who cares? I think they're great value. 2) Buy a cheap fleece hat. Can be washed and dried very quickly and can be removed mid-run to suit conditions but the main thing is when you set off you'll feel a bit more snug (40% of heat loss is through your head) and hence feel more like carrying on. 3) Warm up as best you can before you go outside. 4) Set a goal! Enter a race in the spring or something, pay that money! Then you've got a clear target to aim for and you can structure your training rather than letting the 'I'll put it off 'til it's light' demon strike Evil grin. You won;t be able to otherwise what a waste of money? Always gets me anyway! Other stuff; run with someone, join a club, run at lunchtime etc. All makes sense. Main thing, the main motivation- Make it fun! Big grin (as best you can) eg. When Rocky had run the streets, and been followed by kids, and sweated, and pushed, and hurt, and run up the stairs, and turned by the monument............he punched the air! With both hands and for all he was worth, he punched the air. He enjoyed it, for one reason or another and despite the toil, he enjoyed it! That's the trick! Wink Good luck. Cheers, FC
                  JakeKnight

Cold and Dark is the name of the game for me in the next few months. I'm in NE Scotland, a wee bit North of where JakeKnight lived, and it's real cold and real dark.
                    I remember that darkness well. I worked in a building with no windows and no external doors (for security reasons - I'd tell you about it, but I'd have to kill you, and who wants that?). When I worked a regular 7 to 3 day shift for a while, I can remember going literally weeks without seeing the sun. It was still pitch black at 7:00 a.m., and already dipping below the horizon by 3:15. This, of course, explains why you folks hang out in bright, noisy pubs all winter long. Yes Of course - I also remember being able to play golf until damn near midnight in the summer time ... and the birds waking me up with the sunrise at 2:30 a.m. ...

JakeKnight

Hi Simo, I lived in England up until the age of 24 and did many night runs. I have several suggestions; Don't sit down, never get comfortable at home before you want to leave. Tell yourself that you will run for 10 mins and if you dont feel like running after those 10 minutes to turn around and go home.
                      I agree. The best motivational advice I ever heard for days when it's cold out and warm in bed and you don't feel like getting up (or running after work) was simply this: put your shoes on and head out the door. Plan to run (or walk) just across the street. Maybe down to the corner. Tell yourself you'll quit when you get there. 99% of the time, you'll find that once you get that far, you'll just keep going. The other 1% of the time, you can come home and have a beer. We won't tell.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It was still pitch black at 7:00 a.m., and already dipping below the horizon by 3:15. This, of course, explains why you folks hang out in bright, noisy pubs all winter long. Yes
                        Yep. I spent some time with my hubby while he was studying in Aberdeen and the sun set around 3:30. That was insane. I wonder what sort of incidences of SAD are seen over there. For a while I worked in a darkroom and didn't see more than an hour of daylight/day. By the end of Winter I was feelin' pretty awful. I don't miss that job at all! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

RainDropRunner

I like fluffchub's gear list. Pretty much what I wear too. I really have to run in the AM or" it don't happen"... When I run in the dark I wear a reflective vest and a flashing red light that cliips onto me. I also most generally have my dog along (he's starting to grumble about runining in the dark and the rain...whoose). I wear gloves and a fleece headband if it is below 40 and .... I run with tunes...so, I just rock out for 3 to 6 miles before going to work. It's actually the only time I listen to my MP3 player, so I always look forwrd to it....even in the dark.

~RDR~

joe reed

simo, you need to find a mate who likes beer and running. ;-[)

Dog-Love

Well if you ran with the gals I run with, rain snow or shine, there is no better motivator!!!! Here in Alaska...temperatures drop...it gets pretty dark...and you hafta get out at noon! No ifs ands or butts! Running through the snow on trails in the winter is so much fun and every now and then a black wolf will join your party. Just find some friends who like to get out with you and there you have it!
                              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                                Thanks everyone, just realised how pathetic I sound whingeing about dark nights when everyone else goes out in real winter weather. Not sure I can do the before work thing, no showers at work which don't help. I've already tried a few night runs in well lit areas I just do not seem to run as fast as I do during the day, my stride patterns get disrupted by unseen slopes and stuff. I did do a mile in about 6 minutes on Friday night after a major beer session and karaoke with some work colleagues, stupid I know but I had to get the last train, if I missed it I was looking at £30 cab fare. Anyway, ran in my work shoes and my shins have been killing me for the whole weekend. Found out why you shouldn't run with alcohol on board, thought I was dying on the train on the way home. Serves me right. Cheers, Simo

Si