Restless leg solutions? (Read 852 times)

obiebyke

I really think I have Restless Leg Syndrome. I was up for hours last night because of it. It feels like an overwhelming urge to move my legs. It doesn't usually bother me when I sleep alone, I guess because I must twitch around, but when I sleep at my girlfriend's, it often drives me nuts. I finally had to go down to the couch where I could twitch my legs around and not wake her up. I fell asleep for a couple hours down there and then was able to go back to bed and fall asleep. What can I do about this? Seems like a silly thing to get prescription meds for. I heard Tylenol or ibupofen might help? Anyone have recommendations?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Well, there is some evidence that it's linked to iron deficiency. You could try iron supplements (though you should probably find out if you're really deficient first -- it's possible to take too much iron). Also, get more exercise. IMHO, exercise is a great way to deal with sleep issues in general. I see that you don't run every day, so perhaps you could add walking or biking on the other days.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      obiebyke

Thanks, Ed. Yeah, walking or biking might be good. I was thinking today that I should probably track if it ever happens on a day I do run. I'll pay more attention. I'll also think about going in for a blood test. I just had blood taken, so I'm reluctant to go in again. Can iron be done as a poke test, or will I have to get a whole tube taken?

dork.major dork.

I'm pretty sure that you can do iron as a prick test... but this is asking me remember my vegetarian days, and they are, um, distant.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

obiebyke

Internet seems to say that it has to be a vacuum tube. What a pain. I ran this situation by my dad, a retired doc, and he says restless leg was invented by big pharma, that it's extremely rare and everyone has restless legs sometimes. That said, he recommended taking a multivitamin and extra D and waiting a month. We shall see. Anyone else have this problem and/or a solution? MTA: "restless" i/o "reckless." Although every runner does have reckless legs sometimes, it seems.

Dave

My wife has it, really bad. She tried iron supplements and bananas (potassium). Helped for a while. The doctor now has her on a medication called requip. She takes half of the recommended dose, about 90 minutes before bedtime. Seems to help quite a bit. My wife adds that it is a real disorder, at least for her.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

obiebyke

It's definitely real. Just rare. At least, that's what my dad says. Bananas. Check. Thanks dgb.

Our local newspaper here has column on health questions/advice/and remedies for common illnesses. One topic I read ALOT about in this column is people SWEARING up and down about their cure for RLS. They claim, and i Have no idea why this would work, (nor do the newspaper people), but everyone that writes in claims that putting bars of soap between the sheets down by your feet will instantly cure the RLS. Iknow it sounds like a croc, but maybe if you could look it up on the internet you might find more info on it. and if it does work, who cares why right? i've even read about people who went on vacation and didnt have their soap bars under the sheets and the problem immediately started up again until they got back home to their own bed/soap bars
                  obiebyke

I looked it up, and there are definitely tons of testimonials. So weird! But hey, I love the placebo effect. As long as it works. Thanks!

Post back if it works - i would love to know how it pans out for ya
                      obiebyke

Will do. First job is convincing my gf to let me put soap in her bed. Big grin

i dont think it will stain or anything like that - just dont use anything with color or dyes or strong fragrances. probably just your typically dove or ivory would do. i should probably put some in my sheets to get out the damn dog smell! hate that the dogs are all up in my bed with me, but feel so lonely when theyre not there!

Giant Flaming Dork

Hmm... After I started running I got a kind of restless leg thing going on. I get a "must go running" feeling in my legs every morning at my normal weekday workout time. It wakes me up. Sucks on the weekends. And it happens if I go more than two days without running. And sometimes at my desk if I haven't stood up in a couple hours. Or if I see someone else running. Or if I think about running... Maybe it's not my legs... MTA - hrribl speelling

http://xkcd.com/621/

My mom has problems with this, and her MD told her to drink tonic water before she goes to bed. It has quinine in it, and that's what's supposed to help. Worked for her, but it may be the placebo effect.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

Ostrich runner

My mom has problems with this, and her MD told her to drink tonic water before she goes to bed. It has quinine in it, and that's what's supposed to help. Worked for her, but it may be the placebo effect.
                                Haven't heard that for rls, but my old coach used to have teammates who'd cramp drink tonic w/ quinine before races. In turn, I suggested that to the ex for her monthlies, and she seemed to think it helped. FWIW, having done alot of disability work for fibromyalgia claimants, rls can really be bad for some people (or so they malinger).

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum