What's up with this FIRST training? (Read 1192 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

...Something I've read about elsewhere (if you havn't heard about it, it consists of only 3 runs a week, but each workout is high intensity). It seems to go against everything else I've read (pile on lots of miles first, then add some higher intensity workouts, but the majority of runs are easy). It's certainly intriguing. Any comments? Arla

Ex runner

I only heard about it earlier this week, when va mentioned it in a thread. He's started a group on RA here. There are some good articles if you go through the forum topics. The cross-training 2X-3X/wk on off days is apparently just as key as the intensity of the running workouts. It looks interesting to me, but I think I'm still too new to running to make a go of it. I'll build some more base first, then I might try it out.
      Brandon
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's something I will probably look at if I ever join DH (diddidit) in cycling. I love running, but I'm probably much better suited to cycling. So it would be kind of nice to use both sports to still enhance my running. Variety is the spice, and all that, too. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

F.I.R S.T. works but it's tough. I wouldn't recommend it for a first marathon. Yes, it goes against the grain so to speak, but if you can do the workouts, you can get great results. They also have a 5 day plan that is remarkably close to what we all know. IOW, the real 3-day F.I.R.S.T. plan is simply speed days with days off instead of easy runs. Check it all out here: http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Feeling the growl again

Well, if you are after a way to only run 3 days per week and perform ok, I'm sure it does ok. But frankly, there are no shortcuts in this sport. If it is truly performance you are after, you will perform best at the highest combination of mileage and intensity that works for YOU. The majority of people will end up running more than 3 times per week, as easy runs are an integral part of building your aerobic base. I've tried just about everything in my running career....low mileage high intensity, high mileage high intensity, very high mileage moderate intensity, etc etc. While each is an individual, every accomplished person I have ever trained with has run their PRs at a fairly high weekly mileage coupled with 2-3 good workouts each week. While we all talk HRMs, GPS, etc etc, this is fundamentally a very simple sport where miles run and smart application of intensity produce optimal adaptation of the body to training stresses to produce PRs. In other words, if you want to try to get PRs at a currently relatively low mileage running 3-4 times/week, try FIRST. If you already run more than 3-4 times per week or are seeking to maximize your gains, forget it. No shortcuts in running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Queen of 3rd Place

Spaniel - thanks. What you say makes sense. Nothing like good ol' common sense! Arla

Ex runner

va

To clarify some things… The FIRST program is basically 3 hard running work-outs (interval, tempo, and long) with non-weight bearing cross-training replacing easy runs. The interval and tempo work-outs are the same as those found in conventional plans, but the long run is at a faster pace than is typical. The idea is that the non-weight bearing cross-training: + allows for greater overall training load (i.e., you can complete the 3 hard running work-outs while training with a decent amount of intensity on the cross-training days) + promotes recovery + reduces the risk of injury due to overuse + adds variety So, it is not 3 days of running and 4 days of rest. With the cross-training, it is equal to or greater than many conventional plans in terms of training load. I don't consider it a shortcut. In many ways it is more difficult than more conventional training plans which simply include 1 or 2 days of quality runs with remainder being easy runs. I think the plan makes some sense, so I am giving it a try, and will spend the next 5 months doing 3 quality runs and 3 cross-training work-outs per week as I train for a May half-marathon. My PR for the half is 1:57, from October. How much can I improve? It will be interesting to see... Btw, if you’re interested in FIRST-like training, you’re welcome to join the group.
                mikeymike

According to this email I just got from Runners World, I can run faster by running less. That's great news! I wonder how they know how much and how fast I've been running. Maybe they've been snooping on my RA log or maybe their program is so good it will work for EVERYONE regardless of their experience level or how fast they are now. This is phenomenal news. I wonder if Ryan Hall knows about this. He could break 2 hours for the marathon with a program like this: Dear Michael, If you’re like me, you want to be a better, stronger, healthier, and most of all, FASTER runner, right? But after work, family, daily errands, and keeping up with piles of laundry, how are we supposed to fit in enough good workouts to reach our goals? It’s one of the biggest challenges runners face. But now, there’s an answer… No other running book comes close to providing the proven, efficient training system you’ll discover inside RUN LESS RUN FASTER. In fact, the remarkable FIRST training system, which you’ll find detailed in RUN LESS RUN FASTER, is completely revolutionary and like nothing else you’ve ever tried. With the FIRST system, you get unique training programs that:
                • Improve speed and endurance for life
                • Dramatically reduce training time
                • Offer a smarter, quicker, easier way to train
                • Provide the best results in the least amount of time
                • Produce consistently spectacular outcomes
                • Are more closely studied and more guaranteed than any other program
                • Promote lifelong running success
                • Work for runners of all ages, abilities, and experience levels
                • Improve marathon times by an average of 19 minutes
                • Tailor workouts to your unique fitness level
                • The FIRST system in RUN LESS RUN FASTER works so well because it’s scientifically based and meticulously measured. It’s one of the only systems developed by exercise scientists and tested with real runners. The FIRST system has reduced race times for hundreds of runners. And, we’re so confident that this lab-tested, scientifically proven plan will work for you, we guarantee your satisfaction! Best of all, any age-group runner can benefit from RUN LESS RUN FASTER. FIRST programs don’t just work for 4:00 or 5:00 marathoners, but sub-3:00 marathoners, as well.This amazing system has also been used to improve performances by runners preparing for their first 5K or marathon, and by runners in their early twenties, as well as veterans in their sixties and seventies. Plus, this groundbreaking system is extremely flexible and can be adjusted to fit all types of runners, from those who have limited time to train to those make training a major focus. Sincerely, Chris Cunningham Runner’s World Books PS Amby Burfoot, executive editor of RUNNER’S WORLD magazine and Boston Marathon winner, calls the programs in RUN LESS RUN FASTER “the most detailed, well-organized, and scientific programs for runners” that he’s ever seen. That’s why there’s sure to be a huge demand for this book. Please reply soon, while we still have your FREE-Preview copy! Click here now!

Runners run

I like the F.I.R.S.T. program although I don't quite have the stamina for the 3 day/week of hard runs. I think for experienced runners who want to maximize their efficiency but have limited time (whether family, school, other sports), etc. this program would be able to benefit them. I might revisit their 5 day schedule a little later this season.
                    USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010

Half Fanatic #846

Hi Arla - I tried the FIRST program for a few weeks recently. After 3 years of running and at 61, I was looking for a good running program that would give me more time to rest and recover, and I enjoyed the cross-training also. The program is more intense than most, but I couldn't handle the intervals/repeats Tongue. IMO, it seems like FIRST is better suited to those with more running experience (and more youthful!). I do miss the X training, though. Presently I'm doing Low HR Training (see the User Group) to build my aerobic base for a few months. Now I'm running 4-5 times a week, going further than ever before, feeling good all the time, and enjoying running - I'll probably never be "fast", but I can always improve! Big grin Hope this helps!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Hawt and sexy

OMG. It's like Dick made his way here. Great. Can I pop out a great century race if I only bike 3 hard days a week? I wanna ride like Lance.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Cross training is great, it's better than nothing for sure. Unfortunately it is NOT a replacement for running, even easy running. "Runners" World's mission is to sell. Sell, sell, sell. Not necessarily sell what is right, but sell you what you want to hear. People like to be told they can run faster by running less just like they like to be told they can lose weight by eating cupcakes and exercising 5 minutes per day with a little $400 thingy that shocks their ab muscles. Problem is, neither one really works. If cross training were so great, Lance Armstrong should have debuted with a 2:30 marathon or better, even if he was a bit out of shape. After all he was the greatest tour cyclist in history. I'm sure for a lot of people, FIRST may work at first even if it is a reduction in mileage....it's called periodization. The problem is the gains are temporary and you will plateau rather quickly. There is nothing new and radical about that. Elite 5K runners do about half their peak mileage during the racing season. But to improve, they pick it up again after the racing season is done.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

va

Hi spaniel, You’re right, Runner’s World wants to sell stuff, but they are just marketing the book and didn’t come up with the training program. It was developed by exercise physiologists/trainers/athletes at Furman. As for cross training, I don’t think there are many people who will say cross-training alone is a better way to train for running than running itself. With the FIRST program, it’s a means to allow you to get the 3 quality running work-outs in while still getting an aerobic work-out and exercising the muscles in your legs (granted in a different way). For many people, trying to run hard on 3 days, and then also running easy on 2 or 3 days, is simply too much. Which of the quality running work-outs you would eliminate in favor of more easy running miles? Or are you suggesting people should HTFU, forget the cross-training, and run the hard work-outs as well as 2-3 days of easy running? Note this is a good reason to keep your training log public (i.e.., so we can see how you train). Another aspect to this discussion is that guys like you and mikey are great runners, and many here on RA will never even come close to being as good as you. As for me I am older, fatter, slower, and know I will never be as good as you all. The references above to the training methods of Ryan Hall and Lance Armstrong are funny.
                            mikeymike

I'm far from a great runner, but I hear what you're saying Stephen. I was poking fun, mostly, at the-get-rich-quick-one-size-fits-all-do-more-with-less marketing spam from Runners World than at the program itself. Though I really don't think FIRST is a great program for most runners. I'm sure that like anything else it's a great program for someone, but to me it tries to solve problems most runners don't have. Why would I want to run less if it means I have to cross train more? I like running. I started doing it because it was a sport I could do with a minimum of equipment and just about anywhere anytime. Cross training usually involves a bike or a pool or some other piece of equipment or specialized facility and takes more time then just heading out for a run. And it won't help me become a better runner as much as running will. Some other things I don't like about FIRST. I have figured out, partly through trial and error, that I can't handle three hard workouts per week--so I don't do them. I do two at most. I've figured out that easy mileage is not the hard part of any training program and almost no amount of it seems to do me in...it's the workouts. I've also learned that the more easy mileage I'm running, the bigger and harder workouts I can handle. So why would I want to increase the amount of high intensity training, which I know raises my injury and burn out risk, while simultaneously reducing my easy mileage, which I know helps me recover for the hard workouts? That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

Runners run

el Jeffe

I'll be giving this a try for my next marathon. If anyone's interested, I've come across a FIRST workout generator in an Excel document. Download it here. Put your race date and goal time in the white cells and your 16 week program will be automatically generated. Now go give'er!