Cool Running log import (Read 5406 times)

eric :)

The most important part of any running log is the data. Determining which log to use is probably the most crucial step, as you will be locked into using that log. Many runners will not switch to use a newer and more useful log because they don't want to lose the records. If you are looking for a new log, you should definitely consider logs that allow you to export data over the ones that don't. Currently, RunningAhead.com has no export functionality, but I will get to it eventually. Should you wish to export your data in the near future, just drop me a note and I'll begin work on it. Some users and many prospective users wanted to import their Cool Running log and I readily agreed to create one, thinking that it would be straight forward. I will describe some of the problems I encountered while implementing this feature. On the surface, the import process seemed easy enough, especially since every field from the Cool Running log maps to a field in RunningAhead.com's log. The conversions for most of the fields are straight forward. There is only one way to convert heart rate, weather, and run types, etc. There are some fields that are ambiguous. The Cool Running log's weight and temperature fields have no units, but I can guess based on their locale preferences. However, I can't rely completely on the preferences because it is possible that the users are importing the data before setting their preferences. The toughest problem is mapping of the shoes. The shoe in all of the other running logs is merely a text box, and you can enter anything you want (e.g. "my shoes", "blue asics 2090 bought in 2003"). I chose to separate the brand and the model. It is not easy to extract the information out of "blue asics 2090 bought in 2003", and completely impossible for "my shoes". So, much of the time was spent working on handling and massaging the shoe data. I'm almost finished with the innards of the Cool Running log import. Now I just need to create the pages that will guide a user through it the entire process. Since everyone's log is different, I'm thinking that I would have the users send me their Cool Running logs and I'll import them myself, at least for the first several times so that I know it is safe for public consumption. It is a bit more work for me, but it ensures the integrity of the data, which is the most important.
      How do you do the import?

ccamp, Send me an email via the feedback form and we can go from there. eric Smile
          I would be interested in importing just the runs themselves but I don't care about shoes, weather, weight, time of day etc., especially if those details are a hassle. Basically it would be nice, at some point, to be able to compare--in the same format--my training and racing from a couple of years ago to now (or whenever I get back in decent shape.) If there were a way to import just the basics--date, distance, time & notes--I'd be more than happy with that.

Runners run

Awesome job with the import, Eric! I can now graph my running by month all the way back to 2002 and see just how far I've fallen off the wagon. This will be the best motivator for me on my comeback trail. Mike

Runners run

Awesome job with the import, Eric! I can now graph my running by month all the way back to 2002 and see just how far I've fallen off the wagon. This will be the best motivator for me on my comeback trail. Mike
              Mike, Whenever Marsha asks if I want to go on a "slow" recovery run, I insist that she gives me her pace instead because her 8:00 mile is my tempo pace Blush Even if you feel like you're crawling, you're still that much faster than me. Good luck with your running and I'll see you at the races. eric Smile
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I would be interested in importing just the runs themselves but I don't care about shoes, weather, weight, time of day etc., especially if those details are a hassle.
                I wonder if a power-entry tool would be useful. From a single form I can enter the basic information on a bunch of runs instead of doing an import or entering each run individually.
                  what about batch entries? If I want to enter log data from 2 or 3 years of paper logging?? Is there a simple format for batch adding?
                  Team Cross Runs more than just a running blog!

what about batch entries? If I want to enter log data from 2 or 3 years of paper logging?? Is there a simple format for batch adding?
                    I can import your data for you. Just send me an email via the feedback form so we can get started. eric Smile
                    Voodoojunkie

Eric, I'm definitely interested in importing my CR log to here. I've gotten quite used to it, but it's time for a change. If it's not too much trouble, please let me know what I need to do. Thanks a ton!
                        Eric, Can I publicly thank you for converting my data from my CR log - It is much appreciated and I look forward to a long and productive stay with yourself and the community here. Even noticed a few familiar names from around and about (Hi Joe!) - - Once again, thanks a million for all the work you have put into this project. Liam

Happy Camper

Eric: I would like to have my CR log uploaded. I have it saved in Excel Workbook format. Please send me the instructions. Thanks!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Head Procrastinator

Can I join in here and get my log converted? Awaiting instructions, meantime I will browse around. Thanks Barb
                            ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Barb, Drop me an email via the feedback form and I'll take care of you. eric Smile
                              Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Eric - I join Liam and other CR refugees in thanking you for seamlessly transferring my log to RunningAhead a couple of weeks ago. Looking at the mess that is called Active.com, I'm sure glad I found your site. The folks on the forums are pretty friendly too... Jeanne Boomers & Beyond

Jeanne