Bejing Pollution - ESPN piece (Read 990 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Thought this was pretty good... http://track.flocasts.org/videos/play/70318-olympic-haze-beijing-08 MTA: This really pisses me off. Why are the games being held here again? Regardless of the pollution, this country has done nothing to deserve this historic event.

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)
      And you know, when the topic of boycotting these games came up about 90% of those polled were against it. The most common reponses had to do with being against bringing politics into it. Politcs *****! It's downright criminal to have human beings have to compete in this gas chamber. It is dangerous.! The **** with politics. That has nothnig do do with it. Some of the rotten stuff that human beings continue to do to other human beings is almost beyond comprehenison. It's enough to make a person angry! Angry
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Wink Im going to hijack my own thread. Props on your workouts, weekly mileage, and PRs - your PRs in your 60s are better than mine in my 30s. Smile

• Black Canyon 100k
        • RRR
        • Zane Grey 100k
        • High Lonesome 100
        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
        • The Bear 100
        • Javelina Jundred (?)
          I was in Beijing in May for the Great wall marathon and the air quality was awful Tongue. The bus ride back from the race was awful-windows open, tons of vehicles and I was sick on the bus and at least for 2 hours after I got back to the hotel. I don't think it'll be safe for the athletes and sad they won't be able to feel good about their events. Sadder is the chinese people live in this year round. Yuck. Kathy
            Thought this was pretty good... http://track.flocasts.org/videos/play/70318-olympic-haze-beijing-08 MTA: This really pisses me off. Why are the games being held here again? Regardless of the pollution, this country has done nothing to deserve this historic event.
            WHY? Only one reason I can think of...FEAR. Everyone else in the world is afraid of China...afraid to say no. No one could possibly want to compete in athletic events there. Still, it's almost beyone comprehension how this could happen.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            JakeKnight

Did the pollution issue come up way back when Beijing was awarded the games? Was there any thought of moving them to another city in China? Or - assuming they all have bad air - any talk of building some of the venues out of town, far enough so the air would be clean? Or did everybody just realize this after it was too late to do anything? It's going to be really bad for the marathoners in particular. I don't blame those who skipped it. MTA: No, I didn't read the article yet. Maybe I should do that before asking further dumb questions.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

mikeymike

Really interesting. It's ten minutes long but worth it. Top secret polution masks are our secret weapon. The last half of the video withe Stephen Andrews, the environmental consultant who lived in Beijing for years to study air quality, talking about manipulationg air quality numbers is absolutely frightening. What a fiasco.

Runners run

C-R

The company where I work has extensive business dealing in China. I am not one that gets to travel there but several of my lunch time running parters do. None of them run outside because and I qoute one "my lungs felt like they were on fire after about three miles". Yuck! I feel for the athlestes as these folks are at the top of their game, have maybe one shot in a lifetime at the Olympics, and now have to compete in what amounts to a cess pool of air. Very sad.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

De-slacking in progress

The company where I work has extensive business dealing in China. I am not one that gets to travel there but several of my lunch time running parters do. None of them run outside because and I qoute one "my lungs felt like they were on fire after about three miles". Yuck! I feel for the athlestes as these folks are at the top of their game, have maybe one shot in a lifetime at the Olympics, and now have to compete in what amounts to a cess pool of air. Very sad.
                    The company I work for owns a company in SE China near the sea. That city is just as polluted. Even if the USA and the rest of the world cut their greenhouse emissions, China's is so bad it wouldn't make one bit of differance. Had friends that visit China last year-every city is bad

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That's just frightening. I think it's going to be an odd games. Are we going to see athletes who decide on game day they can't compete? Sad when this might be their only chance to compete at that level.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

kcam

That guy is exagerating. I was in Beijing in February. I ran. I've run in Beijing in years past as well. It was polluted but it was no big deal. For us mortal runners who are not on the razor's edge of our performance limitations it's no problem (at least for me it wasn't, no lung fires or other melodramatic symptoms). For Olympians it's a huge problem. And I definitely wouldn't want to run there day-in day-out.
                        Mr R

The Olympics were held in another city with terrible air quality back in 1984.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

The Olympics were held in another city with terrible air quality back in 1984.
                            L.A. in 1984 is not Beijing in 2008. L.A. in 2008 is not Beijing in 2008. Poor air quality relative to other places, yes. Ridiculously polluted, no.

• Black Canyon 100k
                            • RRR
                            • Zane Grey 100k
                            • High Lonesome 100
                            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                            • The Bear 100
                            • Javelina Jundred (?)
                            derek

Top secret polution masks are our secret weapon.
                              Looks as though all the athletes will be walking around like Michael Jackson :-)

Derek

C-R

That guy is exagerating. I was in Beijing in February. I ran. I've run in Beijing in years past as well. It was polluted but it was no big deal. For us mortal runners who are not on the razor's edge of our performance limitations it's no problem (at least for me it wasn't, no lung fires or other melodramatic symptoms). For Olympians it's a huge problem. And I definitely wouldn't want to run there day-in day-out.
                                I am glad to hear that the experience for you was ok during the winter months. As a former resident of your neck of the woods, I can recall driving over the 680 hills into the valley and seeing a brown haze that would make the hair stand up on the back of one's neck which may mean you probably are acclimated to a higher level of pollution than others. So my guess is your tollerance (at least physically) must be greater than those of us here in the Midwest but even you "wouldn't want to run there day-in and day-out". Just makes their point that the place is not condusive to good health and running in their personal experience. I will be sure to pass along your advice about melodramas to my running partners at lunch today as it should make for an interesting discussion to pass the miles. That being said, it still doesn't change the underlying fact that the conditions are impacting the competition in ways that will limit performance of longer distance runners and has caused top level runners to drop from specific races for worries about long term health effects. And if it impacts Olympians why would it not impact mortals as well?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/