Serious Question (Read 862 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is with an eye on future Monkey marathons. I am interested in your thoughts, whether you plan to participate or not. What do y'all think about having two price options, one with medal and shirt and one without medal and shirt? The medal and shirt tack on a considerable amount to the total price, and not everybody wants them. (This would be for future years. The 2007 monkey is already out of the barn. Or the bag. Or something like that.)
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like the option. I find that I will pay more for a technical shirt if a race offers them--but it's nice to have the choice for those who don't want to pay more for a shirt/medal. I'm doing a HM next month that offers a shirt/no shirt option. They are only supplying technical Ts. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I think making the shirt optional is a good idea. Making the finisher's medal optional somehow cheapens the medal for me so I'd keep that as part of the race fee. I've seen a lot of races lately make the t-shirt optional and I've generally opted not to purchase it. Since I run marthons so infrequently, however, I'd probably get the shirt to commemorate it. But I'm sure some people have enough marathon shirts to last a lifetime and would opt out to save some cash.

Runners run

Mishka-old log

I definitely want to run the monkey someday...maybe '08? I'll complicate things even further. Ideally, I'd take home a shirt, but no medal. I'm not really big on medals. But I'd think that'd be an administrative mess to offer 3 options. Between the 2 options you presented, I'd prefer the t-shirt and medal. Offering two price options is a great idea if it doesn't complicate things too much on your end. Modified to add: I just read Mikey's post...apparently there are 4 options!
            I think making the shirt optional is a good idea. Making the finisher's medal optional somehow cheapens the medal for me so I'd keep that as part of the race fee.
            I agree completely.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I think making the shirt optional is a good idea. Making the finisher's medal optional somehow cheapens the medal for me so I'd keep that as part of the race fee.
              I agree with this, too.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Lazy idiot

I agree with this, too.
                Ditto

Tick tock

va

I would think making the shirt and the medal optional would be a good idea. Probably more important to locals. If I go to the trouble/expense of travelling to run in the monkey, I will want a shirt and medal... modified to add:...and I probably won't even consider at the cost.
                    I really like the idea of having the option. I have various medals and don't know what to do with them. Shirts I wear, so I like them. The cost, not so much an issue, but in the waste not/want not view, I don't need a medal for any race that I run.

Michelle

btb1490

I think it's a good idea as well, both from a runner's perspective and from the race director's perspective ( a chance to save $$$ ). It does add to your administrative duties a bit, having to keep track of who gets a shirt and who doesn't. As an option, you could just charge everyone a base entry fee that doesn't include a shirt, then sell shirts for a nominal fee at the race. Although then you won't know how many shirts to pre-order.... it's never easy, is it. Heck, just run!
                      I really like the idea of having the option. I have various medals and don't know what to do with them. Shirts I wear, so I like them. The cost, not so much an issue, but in the waste not/want not view, I don't need a medal for any race that I run.
                      Kids love medals. I usually seek out some small child at the race and give them the medal. The looks on their faces are priceless! Smile
                        if you are going to offer people a shirt / non shirt option then make it a really good technical shirt. people dont get to see it beforehand and if its rubbish quality they end up feeling ripped off (given they've actually paid separately for ti) when it works well its great - our local half and marathon does this - its a good quality fitted shirt and i do loads of running in mine. i'll definitely be getting one next year.
                          agree

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Kids love medals. I usually seek out some small child at the race and give them the medal. The looks on their faces are priceless! Smile
                            Wow, what a neat idea! I never thought of that. I've heard of programs where you can donate your medals and they use them for races with children or special needs athletes. I figured there will come a day when I donate the ones I have (not that I have all that many but in a few years they'll add up).

Michelle

if I ever make it to the Monkey (2008, I hope!) I'd want the shirt and the medal. Smile

Jennifer mm#1231