Best alternative to running? (Read 1704 times)

onepinkfuzzy

Being a single female, I don't feel safe running in the dark in the morning alone. But since I have such a limited time for training (as a single mom), I have to take advantage of every minute of 'alone-time' I get, which means early mornings at the gym twice a week. I'm training for a tough, hilly 50k in April, coming off a few injuries and some heart trouble (now resolved, dr gave me a green light to run (yes, even excessive distances)). Two mornings a week, until the sun starts coming up earlier, I'm stuck using the gym. In your opinion, what's the best cross-training available? I've been doing spinning and some elliptical. I tried the stairclimber for the first time this morning, and am leaning towards that as my main substitute for running (gets my hillwork in...?). Thoughts?
      From what I've read, water running is the best replacement for running. That would require a pool and infinite patience. Water running is the worst, most boring exercise I've ever done. I swim as cross training, but you're really looking for a replacement, so swimming probably wouldn't help.
      waterfordrider

Team Effort

Boy, That is a tough one. I would say using a combination of the three types of exercise equipment you have mentioned will probably work best. I got on a bicycle when an injury forced me to quit running. Cry The downside is equipment cost and time. Big thing is do not let yourself get in a rut. Big grin Roger

www.runninngahead.com/groups/5000MC/forum

In the Gym 1. Treadmill 2. Elliptical 3. Spinning - nowhere near as good as the other 2
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            In the Gym 1. Treadmill 2. Elliptical Staircllimber - not sure. I haven't hear any real success stories. Spinning - way behind the first 2 and I don't know about climber. I know runners who have come back strong after using elliptical while injured. Two of them are 2:40's marathoners. It's supposed to be next best machine after treadmill for runners. You can set the treadmill on incline to simulate hills. Doesn't your gym have one?
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            onepinkfuzzy

yes, my gym has treadmills...I just can't stand running on one!!! I can usually manage about 3 minutes before having to get off. But for some reason, I can do the other machines just fine... And water running? I think that'd be worse than the treadmill Big grin

dork.major dork.

I would suggest that you join the Ladies Locker Room User Group. There was just a long thread in that forum about safety and running... Depending on what you're looking for, I would suggest the rowing machine -- great total body workout, not a replacement for running, but the best aerobic equivalent I think... But I'm biased.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Treadmill is the best and I know how you feel about it because I was the same way. You need to slow down on it, get some music or TV and go with it. It IS running. If you slow down and gradually increase your pace, I promise you that you won't hate it as much. The other closest things to running are the Cybex ARC trainer and the Precor AMT (Adaptive Motion Trainer). They are types of ellipticals and are VERY good for running training.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I'm in a similar boat --- ... I run alone and it's dark when I'm home during the winter. The TM is your best bet ... it sucks, and it's boring, and the time drags on ... but it isn't simulating running -- it IS running. I listen to audio books and watch tv, and go at a slower pace than I run outside.
                    2009: BQ?

Prophet!

LMAO, Surf! Big grin The treadmill takes some getting used to, but it really is the best bet.I have one at home, and with 2 kids it is often my only option. I watch TV or listen to my iPod (or both!) and always go slower than outside. If you can make yourself do 20 minutes of it, it gets much easier.
                        "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                        invisible

onepinkfuzzy, Skip rope.
                          90 percent of the game is not giving up.

SMART Approach

If your gym has a treadmill, you need to be on it an drun. That is a long race and you can't afford to not run NOW> The other exercises will not give you near the benefit. You will get used to the treadmill. You have to.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

invisible

I don't think treadmill running is really classed as 'cross training'.
                              90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                                But, in the context of the question... "Being a single female, I don't feel safe running in the dark in the morning alone. But since I have such a limited time for training..." It seems that the goal of running a 50k and lack of willingness to practice running are incompatible.