Hip pain. (Read 1318 times)

phzzzzzzzzzzz

In October, I'm planning or running the Detroit Free Press Marathon. This will be my second marathon. I've been working on building up my base. My goal is to get to 50mpw by June, when I start the actual marathon training program. I've been consistently running 25-30mpw for the last several months (I just found out about runningahead.com last month. So, my log here doesn't go back very far.) I mostly run at a slow comfortable pace, but I have started doing a speed workout once a week. I ran 3 miles on the treadmill on Tuesday. Since that run, my hip joint has been hurting. I took yesterday off to see if a day of rest would fix the problem. Instead of running, I walked quickly for 3 miles. The hip does feel much better this morning. The thing is, I was going to do an 11 mile run this afternoon. Is that a bad idea? Maybe a shorter run is a better idea? Maybe I should walk again, instead of run? I've had knee pain before, so I kind of know how to gauge that. This is the first time my hip has bothered me.
    chrimbler

Only you can really answer this question...how bad does it hurt?...how much of a nancy boy are you?...maybe just HTFU and run!!!... Smile ...just kidding (not really) But like I said only you know how much it is hurting, go run and see, you can always cut the run short
      Run like you stole it!
        If the speed workout is new, and the hip pain is new, I would dump the speed workout at least for now. Speed work seems to increase your chance of injury pretty significantly, unless your body is really ready for it and you do it right. If you can ramp your mileage up to 50 mpw, your speed will probably increase from the mileage alone.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Slow-smooth-fast

I was off for 6 months with hip pain thankfully i am back on the road to recovery. Good luck

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

phzzzzzzzzzzz

Only you can really answer this question...how bad does it hurt?...how much of a nancy boy are you?...maybe just HTFU and run!!!... Smile ...just kidding (not really) But like I said only you know how much it is hurting, go run and see, you can always cut the run short
            HTFU is for sissy's. ha ha. Mainly, I don't want to aggravate an injury and totally screw up my training for the marathon. I think I will just go out and see how it feels running.
            If the speed workout is new, and the hip pain is new, I would dump the speed workout at least for now. Speed work seems to increase your chance of injury pretty significantly, unless your body is really ready for it and you do it right. If you can ramp your mileage up to 50 mpw, your speed will probably increase from the mileage alone.
            Good point. I do tend to get impatient and want to push myself harder than I probably should... I think that's a pretty common problem...
            I was off for 6 months with hip pain thankfully i am back on the road to recovery. Good luck
            Thanks! Yeah, I want to avoid any serious injury that will hinder running for any length of time. How did you injure yourself?

Slow-smooth-fast

overtraining. I was up to 70mpw for a few weeks, then went into hard interval and tempo work.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Bugs

I've had two hip pains that required attention; first was tight hip flexors second was tight piformis. Both required stretching. With the first I tried rest, electronic stim, massage, ice, you name it. After a month was going to do PT, but decided I didn't have time for that, so I stretched every 30 minutes for 1 1/2 days. Took care of the spasm. I would try gentel stretching and gentel running.

Bugs

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What do you mean by "hip joint"? Where exactly does it hurt? Your hip joint has no nerves, per se. Pain from the hip joint is usually felt elsewhere. So where does it hurt? More importantly, do you like monkeys?
                    What do you mean by "hip joint"? Where exactly does it hurt? Your hip joint has no nerves, per se. Pain from the hip joint is usually felt elsewhere. So where does it hurt? More importantly, do you like monkeys?
                    Trent, Have you been into the Old No. 7 ? Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I was having hip pain when I started running again last year, I knew it was my form and I was trying to fix it but it wasn't working as well as I thought. I tried going for a few alignments at the chiropractor and then a friend suggested stretching and yoga... I started doing a dvd at home and there is one stretch I love for my hip called pigeon pose. Not sure if you have cable but we have comcast and in the On Demand section there is Exercise TV, once in that menu you can pick from various Yoga videos to watch for free!
                      -Jen
                      2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

phzzzzzzzzzzz

What do you mean by "hip joint"? Where exactly does it hurt? Your hip joint has no nerves, per se. Pain from the hip joint is usually felt elsewhere. So where does it hurt?
                        The pain is right where the hip meets the pelvis. If I'm sitting down, it's right where I bend. Oddly, it doesn't hurt all the time, just when I turn my hips. I ran 11 miles last night at a slow even pace. Today, it feels like the pain is going away. A friend of mine complained about hip pain after running on a treadmill. This pain also started after a treadmill workout. I wonder if there's a connection. I don't know why a treadmill would hurt the hip, though. But, like I said, I've never had this kind of pain before, so I don't know how to diagnose it.
                        More importantly, do you like monkeys?
                        Like monkey? I love monkeys! Some of my favorite distant relatives are monkeys, though my immediate family are all great apes.

phzzzzzzzzzzz

I was having hip pain when I started running again last year, I knew it was my form and I was trying to fix it but it wasn't working as well as I thought. I tried going for a few alignments at the chiropractor and then a friend suggested stretching and yoga... I started doing a dvd at home and there is one stretch I love for my hip called pigeon pose. Not sure if you have cable but we have comcast and in the On Demand section there is Exercise TV, once in that menu you can pick from various Yoga videos to watch for free!
                          That's a great suggestion. I do stretch before and after every run. Still, I feel like I'm always tight. A little yoga might do me some good.
                            I started having hip pain several weeks ago. After relentlessly searching the forums here for old posts I came up with a few possiblities; hip flexor, piriformis, snapping hip, etc. One of those threads led me to http://ubsportsmed.buffalo.edu/injuryencyclopedia.html where I figured out that the rehabilitation excercises for many different types of "hip pain" seem to be similar regardless of the actual cause. Anyway I decided to take two weeks off from running and do the piriformis excercises/stretches every day, and if my self diagnosis wasn't working at that point I would go to a doctor. I finally went out for a very short, very gentle run over the weekend and the hip pain hasn't come back. I'm going out for a longer run tonight so we'll see. You can see I havent been running very long or very high mileage but that's been my experience... MTA: had to fix the link
                            Heroes never die. They just reload.
                              Does your hip snap or pop every step you take while running?

phzzzzzzzzzzz

Thanks for all the replies. My hip seems to have gotten better without me having to do very much. The pain started just after I began running on a treadmill at the gym... I've heard from other runners at work that treadmills cause pain in their hips, too. I'm guessing it was that. My solution was to not run on the treadmill for while, and the pain went away. Has anyone else experienced hip pain from running on a treadmill? I always assumed a treadmill would cause less pain because the surface is softer.