out and back, follow route back to start buttons... (Read 759 times)

audiorunner13

trying to plot a new course and i can plot the first leg. Second leg follows first leg back to start. How do i use the out and back, follow route back to start buttons to complete the course and give me the total mileage? What a great tool to track my training. Thanks so much for this tool. audiorunner13 Big grin
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, audiorunner13! I think Eric's out of town for the holiday. Here's what I've found out: "Out and back" is pretty simple - once you plot all of your first leg going out, click on the "out and back" button that looks kinda like someone turning around. See how the line goes from blue to a sorta-red? That means you've followed the route back. Milage should compute automatically near the top of the map - you do have to copy it over into the form, though. "Follow route back to start" I can't get to work on my computer - it keeps saying I need to be on the route when I am. I don't know what's up with that. Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There are two out and back functions. One follows your route back along the exact route you have already taken. This is a true out and back. The button has the label "Create the return leg of an out and back route" and has an image that looks like a lower case blue n. The other one Eric calls a lollipop; you run out 3 miles, do a 3 mile loop and then run back on the first 3 mile route. To do this, do your route out, the extra loop, and then position your route point back where your catch the return route. When you press the "Follow route back to start" button, it will complete the back portion without retracing the entire route back.
        eric :)

Janell and Trent: thanks for filling in for me while I was gone for the weekend! The out and back function is the more straight forward of the two to describe. The follow route back function is probably be easier to understand if I can draw a picture, which I can't do at the moment. I'll try to create one tonight. Regardless, Trent did a good job at explaining the follow route back. The trick to getting it to work is the last point has to be on the route you created. eric Smile

There has been some confusion on the feature called follow route back to start. Hopefully, this will clear it up. Let's say you live on the upper east side in Manhattan, and your route runs into central park. Here's the first leg of your route: Once in Central Park, you proceed to run a quick loop around the baseball fields: Once you completed your loop, you would run back to your posh apartment. Instead of having to create the last portion of the route, which is identical to the first portion, you can use follow route back to start to do the work for you. To use the feature, make sure that the last point of your incomplete route is on the route itself. In the inset, notice the location of the last point. If it is not on the route, you will get the error "The last point needs to be on the route." Even though you think the last point is "close enough", the map doesn't know that. If the last point is on the route, the last leg of the route will be created for you. Notice the color change to indicate the out and back portion of the route. Hope this helps! eric Smile
            Wingz

Professional Noob

To use the feature, make sure that the last point of your incomplete route is on the route itself. In the inset, notice the location of the last point. If it is not on the route, you will get the error "The last point needs to be on the route." Even though you think the last point is "close enough", the map doesn't know that.
              Eric - the times I've had the "last point needs to be on the route" message as near as I could tell it was smack dab on the middle of the line. Any ideas why it doesn't seem to want to work for me? (Besides the fact that I always seem to find the bugs...)

Eric - the times I've had the "last point needs to be on the route" message as near as I could tell it was smack dab on the middle of the line. Any ideas why it doesn't seem to want to work for me? (Besides the fact that I always seem to find the bugs...)
                Janell, Are you implying that the mapping code is buggy? Black eye How's this, create and save a sample map with the last point on the route, so all I needed to do is click the "follow route" button and see for myself what the problem is. eric Smile
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've run into that a couple of times, but it usually works fine...so I guess I've hit the bug, too. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks for the moral support, Kirsten. For some reason people don't believe me when I tell them their darling baby might have a small bug... <g>

Wingz

Professional Noob

Okay, Eric. Your map's saved under "Eric's Route." pbpbpbpbpb Tongue

Okay, Eric. Your map's saved under "Eric's Route." pbpbpbpbpb Tongue
                        Hrm... I tried out the map you made me. The only thing I did was click the button and it works! So, that doesn't help me in finding the bug...