Would you rather (Read 686 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Set a significant PR in a race and miss winning (or even placing AG) or Win a race but miss your personal goal and not PR?

The Greatest of All Time

I have set many a PR's but have never won, so winning would be nice for a change Big grin
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        I would rather set a PR. At my speed, winning a race would be because no fast people showed up, not because I had a great race.

Depends upon the race and competition and goals for that day/season. I have two big PR goals this Summer, mid-2:30s for the marathon on May 4, and sub-16 in the 5k in the August/September race season. Since there's no cash on the line in the marathon, I want the time. For the 5ks, I pretty much want the time as well. I've gone too long w/o going under 16, and if I do it once I'll probably be able to keep doing it. It's just a barrier right now. Those goals are hard and fast, so while winning would be nice, I'll still risk blowing a race by trying to hit the time. Normally, I'm all about the winning. That's usually my #1 goal. Since there are a lot of folks a lot faster than me in this area, it doesn't happen overly often, but if there's an opportunity to win (especially if there is actual competition) then I go for it. For example, last Summer I participated in a 5k race series. The final 2 races were 4 days before and 3 days after a 50k I was running, so I didn't really want to race fast in the 2nd to last race and knew I wouldn't race fast in the last one. I couldn't bear the thought of losing the series though so I padded my lead in the second to last week, which wound up being necessary since after the final race I only wound up winning by 6 seconds. (They take your top 6 times out of 18 or 19 races.)

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I have no fantasy of ever winning a race and very little hope of ever placing my age group. I've only started my 5th year of runing (I'm almost 55) and there are a lot of hardcore runners around here in my age group that have been running for years. Althoug, I did place 3rd in my age group and 10th overall in my first 10k last year out of 50 runners. For me, each race is about setting a new PR. I feel if I set new PRs, then I've accomplished something. Last year my running really picked up and I shattered my PRs by minutes 5K 24:06 old PR to 21:46 new PR (pace 7:02) 5M 43:13 old PR to 38:21new PR (pace 7:41) and then ran my first 10K 47:14 (pace 7:38) If you look closely, you'll see that my 10K pace was faster than my 5M pace and my previous best 5K pace was around a 7:51, so my 5M and 10K pace is faster than my previous 5K pace. It all exquates to showing improvement and that's what I hope to accomplish for the next couple of years.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

My legs are killing me

I'd love to just win my age group for once but there are alot of fast 40-49 year olds.

an amazing likeness

The only person I'm racing in a race is myself. I want to place top 1/3rd in my AG, but the race to that is against me, not the other guys.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

PR.

Runners run

I'd rather have the PR. In true genie fashion, if I picked Win age group or the whole race. I'm sure the Genie would arrange it so that I was the only one in my age bracket entered, or I would be racing 100 year olds Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

A Saucy Wench

I'd love to just win my age group for once but there are alot of fast 40-49 year olds.
                      Show up for a race in horrid weather...actually the best bet for winning AG I have found is when there are 2 races together like a 5K/10K or 10K/HM. Around here the faster runners tend to do the longer of the 2 events, do the short one and you have a chance. I prefer the PR. I cant control who shows up on race day, I only have influence over me.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

obsessor

$ 4 1st?