Hartford '08 (Read 910 times)

Hi all, I'm working up the guts to run my first marathon and am strongly considering this October's Hartford Marathon. I only have one race, a half I ran in April, under my belt. One guy told me that Hartford has a few considerable hills after mile 20. I'd greatly appreciate any insights/thoughts/advice.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

mikeymike

I ran it last year. The first mile or so has a bit of a hill in it but you don't notice it because it's the start of the race and you're so full of nervous energy, then it's flat until after mile 20. There is a fairly significant hill at about mile 21 and then the last 3/4 miles is mostly uphill flattening out at the very end, probably not much of a hill, really but it feels absolutely brutal at the end of a marathon. I really didn't like the end of this course--lots of little twists and turns, a tough hill at mile 21, and a mostly uphill finish. Having said that, overall it's a decent marathon. The start and finish in the park are nice.

Runners run

xor

I also ran Hartford last year... I think the course had been changed from prior years. Overall, it is not a hilly course... but as you have been told, the hills that exist are in the end. It is a well-run race. If you are really bugged by hills (and you shouldn't be... come out west, we got HILLS), consider the Bay State Marathon in Lowell MA. Usually the same weekend as Hartford. No real hills, though also not the most exciting course ever. Also a well-run race.

I also ran Hartford last year... I think the course had been changed from prior years. Overall, it is not a hilly course... but as you have been told, the hills that exist are in the end. It is a well-run race. If you are really bugged by hills (and you shouldn't be... come out west, we got HILLS), consider the Bay State Marathon in Lowell MA. Usually the same weekend as Hartford. No real hills, though also not the most exciting course ever. Also a well-run race.
          Thank you both. I'm not so bugged by hills, but what caught my attention was the comment that the hills are located after the point at which many runners hit the wall. NJ Marathon is supposedly flat, but I'd have to wait until Spring for that one.

Thank you both. I'm not so bugged by hills, but what caught my attention was the comment that the hills are located after the point at which many runners hit the wall. NJ Marathon is supposedly flat, but I'd have to wait until Spring for that one.
            Just a quick note on your NJM comment. It is flat, but I found "the wall" to be the worst I've experienced in the second loop of the course. Two loops is tough - after you watch the halfers finish there is a stretch with little to no support. It may have been me, but I now think I'd avoid a double loop. I ran Hartford way back in 99 (I know the course has changed), but the hilly part toward the end is actually a nicer part of the course. Plus, you don't have to train through the winter if that's a potential problem for you.
            2010 Goals: Danbury Half Marathon: <1:42:00; boston="" run="" to="" remember:=""></1:42:00;><1:42:00; nyc="" marathon:=""></1:42:00;><3:45:00; finish: run amuck and warrior dash! finish:="" run="" amuck="" and="" warrior=""></3:45:00; finish: run amuck and warrior dash!>
              Just a quick note on your NJM comment. It is flat, but I found "the wall" to be the worst I've experienced in the second loop of the course. Two loops is tough - after you watch the halfers finish there is a stretch with little to no support. It may have been me, but I now think I'd avoid a double loop. I ran Hartford way back in 99 (I know the course has changed), but the hilly part toward the end is actually a nicer part of the course. Plus, you don't have to train through the winter if that's a potential problem for you.
              Thank you. Have you ever run the Jersey Shore Relay course as an individual marathon (they allow this)? If so what was it like?

Baystate is as close to flat as you are likely to find, and is a double loop course. Not a destination marathon, it's not particularly scenic. It does have a high percentage of runners qualifying for Boston. marathonguide.com reviews for Baystate C'mon up, it'll be fun. Sorta. Clowning around

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

could anybody compare these two ,for the half marathon ? It's probably to soon for me to run that distance ,but maybe if I have a progressively better summer ...could be my 55th birthday present ,to me.
                  mikeymike

Baystate is as close to flat as you are likely to find, and is a double loop course. Not a destination marathon, it's not particularly scenic. It does have a high percentage of runners qualifying for Boston. marathonguide.com reviews for Baystate C'mon up, it'll be fun. Sorta. Clowning around
                    I'm signed up. Rumor has it it is getting close-ish to the limit.

Runners run

I'm signed up. Rumor has it it is getting close-ish to the limit.
                      I wouldn't be surprised if it did fill quickly, it is the USATF New England Marathon Championship race this year. I was a little concerned that my name didn't appear as a registered runner, but they just updated the site and I"m listed now. I'm sure it will be more than a little chaotic, but hopefully I get to say hello on the 19th. I'd love to buy you a beer Mikey, but you'll probably be sitting in your living room by the time I cross the line.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

mikeymike

I'd love to buy you a beer Mikey, but you'll probably be sitting in your living room by the time I cross the line.
                        Hell no, I'll stick around if there's beer involved. See you there!

Runners run

ultramarathon/triathlete

I ran the hartford half last year. It starts out the same as the full and is a great course. I actually ran 23 miles as marathon training that year so I ran a lot of the last miles of the full marathon course backwards (not me physically backwards, I ran in the opposite direction) which in hindsite was probably distracting to those finishing the full, but I had my bib off and ran on the sidewalk as much as I could to keep out of their way. I also got to run it with Dean K last year, which was cool. Having said all that, the real draw for the Harftord Marathon (and half, and 5K, all on same day) is that they have a wicked good post race. LOTS of food and goodies and massages. All free. It's a fun course so you'll love it. They also have nice finisher medals and it is very well organized.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

Blisters

The course in Hartford was changed for either 06 or 07. That said, the end of the course may still be unpleasant. The old course had you go past the finish line at about mile 20 and then up the only significant hill of the route. Mentally, a little challenging. I recall the last 5 or so miles being rolling, then you came back down that aforementioned hill to the finish line. I ran it in 05 when it rained, sometimes hard, for most of the race. Considering the weather, I thought they did a nice job with organizing the race. The logistics were fairly easy. In that regard, I think it would be a good first marathon.
                              It seems odd to me that Hal Higdon's beginner training for the full marathon only has you run 20 miles max. I'm planning on running the Hartford this year as my first ever marathon. All this talk about a significant hill 20 miles in makes me nervous. Others have told me I'm not running enough miles to consider a marathon this year however being stubborn, and having the Hal plan made me feel alright... Anyone use the beginner plan and run the Hartford marathon? or another marathon ..... what was it like to run the last 6 miles when you'd never run that far before?
                              busiman

Running out of mistakes!

When I look at the elevation for Hartford it looks pretty flat. The biggest hills are 30-40 feet. This seems flat compared to a bunch of other marathons (Vermont, Boston, Philidelphia). Is the elevation chart old or is it a relative hill issue? I'm planning on racing it, but I keep hearing conflicting things about hills there. :-P
                                -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                                also on Twitter