Farah vs Bolt 600m race (Read 295 times)

Maybe you are just agreeing with me?

I agree with half of it i think. I remember hearing a story about how his coach or someone wouldn't give him a shot to try the 100 because he figured bolt was to tall to be that kind of sprinter. So i guess you could say bolt either wanted to try the 100 for how much glory it gets or because he actually felt he would dominate like he does. either way i think we can agree that bolt does have some strength reserves for a longer race than 400 meters

joescott

It seems that 800m was in the offing at some point.... "Farah challenged the Jamaican to a race over either 600 metres or 800 metres."

I think we should all agree that Farah could beat him like a baby seal at 800 meters.  I'm still looking for a pretty good clubbing at 600, but we will see.  Joking

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Why is it sideways?

Michael Johnson on Usain Bolt:

"He has the build to be a great 400-meter runner and he certainly has the speed. Without a doubt I think if he chose to make the switch at some point in his career and decided he was going to train for the 400-meter I am certain he would break the world record and probably run under 43 seconds and become the first person to run 42 seconds."

joescott

Although at 800 surely you would take a miler over a quarter-miler, Jeff, no?  Man, I would.  Anyone who has raced track at any level knows that it is just possible to run a whole 400 purely on raw speed.  That is not possible at 800.  At 800 there is no way Bolt touches the European 1500m record holder, regardless of whether or not he could some day run a sub-43 400.  And for the record, Spiderman could definitely take Batman; at least he's my favorite.... my biases sometimes color my judgment.

- Joe

DoppleBock

Neither guy is going to do something different to train for this charity 600 ~ So thinking about what would happen if Bolt and Farah trained specifically for the 600 has no bearing on the discussion.

The big question is will they actually let their big brass balls hang out for a charity 600 or will it be less than a full brass monkey.

Both athletes will be in prime condition for their respective distance ... Bolt for the 100-200 and Farah for 1500+ (What is he focussing on for Worlds?)

I would not write Bolt off, but I think Farah will be the favorite at 600 meters and Bolt would be the favorite at 500 meters

I could not find any records (Except Norway National) for the 600.  Anyone have a link to the WR for 600?  Maybe they do not keep one.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Ha.. the idea that Bolt would actually care. He may just show up.. run sub-19 for the first 200m.. then call it a day.

The big question is will they actually let their big brass balls hang out for a charity 600 or will it be less than a full brass monkey.

And we run because we like it
              Through the broad bright land

Why is it sideways?

Although at 800 surely you would take a miler over a quarter-miler, Jeff, no?  Man, I would.  Anyone who has raced track at any level knows that it is just possible to run a whole 400 purely on raw speed.  That is not possible at 800.  At 800 there is no way Bolt touches the European 1500m record holder, regardless of whether or not he could some day run a sub-43 400.  And for the record, Spiderman could definitely take Batman; at least he's my favorite.... my biases sometimes color my judgment.

At 800, no way, but I thought the question was 600.

joescott

I will use the phrase "full brass monkey", by the way.

- Joe

DaBurger

I could not find any records (Except Norway National) for the 600.  Anyone have a link to the WR for 600?  Maybe they do not keep one.

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2013/07/duane-solomon-runs-second-fastest-600-ever-113-28-at-harry-jerome-classic/

1:12.81 Johnny Gray USA,

also, 600 yards is < 550m so Jeff's memory buddy converts to slower than 1:15 (69*600/550), and probably 1:16, 1:17?

Know thyself.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

According to Wikipedia it's 1:12.81 set by Johnny Gray in 1986.

MTA: Damn. Too slow.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I wonder if the one falling behind on the home stretch will "pull a hammy" like Michael Johnson did vs Donovan Bailey at 150m in the last big matchup like this.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

DaBurger

also, 600 yards is < 550m so Jeff's memory buddy converts to slower than 1:15 (69*600/550), and probably 1:16, 1:17?

Also, with some (questionable) math, I'd say Farah could run a 1:19, based off his 50.x kick off of 14:00 5k pace and his 3:28 1500m (I actually gave him a 1:48 800m without knowing the 2003 time)

Know thyself.

joescott

At 800, no way, but I thought the question was 600.

Ah, yes, we were, that is the main point of the thread, but then I thought you were responding to my post about Farah proposing 800 meters, but I think you were just offering up general evidence of what a stud Bolt would be at 400.

- Joe

joescott

Also, with some (questionable) math, I'd say Farah could run a 1:19, based off his 50.x kick off of 14:00 5k pace and his 3:28 1500m (I actually gave him a 1:48 800m without knowing the 2003 time)

Rethinking this, I think DB and I were too optimistic at 69-70, for sure, but 79 is way too conservative.  As you say, he can run a :50 kick after 13 minutes of suffering.  Wouldn't take nuthin' for him to tack a 0:29 200 onto a 50-second quarter run fresh.  I'm sure he could do better than that.  This distance makes my head hurt!

- Joe

Is this going to be a clean race, or will Bolt be allowed PED's?

Ya, I'm not a believer in his performance.  It seems enhanced beyond normal.

Basically, why would anybody care if somebody like Bolt would be beat by (or would beat) somebody else in a made up promotional race?

Why do we get excited about high performance athletes up until they get caught doing what they're doing?
                                Then, we quickly throw stones.

We should all see the writing on the wall with this guy.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life