Numbness in My Foot (Read 64 times)

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

So my last few runs I have noticed the 3rd and sometimes the 4th and 5th toes on only my right foot start to go numb. I ran an 8.5 mile yesterday and I spent the better part of the back half trying to make fists with my toes to get somelife back into my middle toe (only one acting up at the time).

Now this could very well be because of the cold (I live in NH) as I don't remember this issue last year. I did try various sets of shoes but I think I haven't been getting that extra 1/2 size bigger that I need. But outside of shoes and cold, anyone have any other suggestions if these two factors don't bear fruit? I was thinking maybe some compression calf sleeves might help or my form. My right foot tends to over pronate at times but I don't recall this ever being an issue.

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

muppy

I had Morton's neuroma, the  3rd and 4th toes get numb and the ball of my foot gets a burning sensation,  some things that help are bigger shoes and loose laces over those toes(when it starts to burn somtimes it helps to stop and loosen laces over toes). Hope you can get this figured out!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Shoes tied too tightly, especially if you were wearing thicker socks than usual?

Or perhaps the shape of the shoe does not fit your foot so well (any more)?

You might try loosening the laces, or a different lacing pattern.

Run for fun.

You may also want to have your back checked out. Have a friend that had a similar issue. It turned out to be an issue of a disc pushing on a nerve.

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

To give an update, I went for a 4 miler yesterday morning. I loosened my laces considerably and that seemed to help although my toes still went kind of numb.

This numbness also occurs when I am not running. Not oftened but I am thinking it might be due to cold weather. In the next few weeks I plan on visiting the doctor and trying out various different shoes and lacing patterns to see if this changes anything.

I also thought it could be my running form as this only happens to my right foot and never the left. I have a HM in April and I am hoping for a PR so I'm trying to get this issue figured out. Thank you for all of your input and anything else you may think if helpful please post.

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

+1 on the back, although back problems usually tend to affect either the big toe, or the 5th/4th toe. You might test the strength of your foot and toes to get a first idea, although a loss of strength does not always occur with back problems.

Perhaps the shape of the shoe just does not fit that foot. I have that problem with one of my pairs, I can run in them up to 1 hr only, after that, my left big toe goes numb.

Run for fun.