Garmin 310x Communicator (Read 1502 times)

Why do their half when you know you can do their full?!

I'm not sure I'll be ready for a full by then because I want to RACE it, not just try and FINISH it. I'm thinking about doing an open marathon mid May of 2013 and want to do a HIM in the fall. I'm going to target an IM for 2014. I'm leaning towards Muncie, Redman or Wisconsin right now but that can change. I'm not good in the heat so I need to find something that has some cooler temps and lower humidity.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I've been having trouble with the Garmin Communicator plugin since yesterday.  I can upload to Garmin Connect fine, but it will not transfer to RA.  I get the message "You need to install the Garmin Communicator Plugin before you can use your Forerunner with RunningAHEAD."

I've tried reinstalling the plugin; no go.  (Mac 10.6.8, Chrome 22.0.1229.79, Forerunner 610)

Turns out the answer to my issue is that the latest version of Chrome (v22) isn't compatible with the Garmin Communicator plugin... gah. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Eric

I just bought a new laptop, loaded the Garmin Communicator and Ant Agent. I sync'd my 310 with the Ant Agent and transferred all my workouts to the new computer. I went to RA and tried to upload a new workout and RA did not find ant new workouts.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Turns out the answer to my issue is that the latest version of Chrome (v22) isn't compatible with the Garmin Communicator plugin... gah. 

It isn't a Chrome only issue.  It is not working for me on PC via Chrome or Explorer.  Not working on my Mac via Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.

Wondering ... Eric .... do you have any thoughts - haven't seen you comment in a while.  Thanks.

• Black Canyon 100k
          • RRR
          • Zane Grey 100k
          • High Lonesome 100
          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
          • The Bear 100
          • Javelina Jundred (?)
          eric :)

I'm out of ideas.  I don't have a Garmin that uses Ant Agent so I can't reproduce the problem.

Burnt Toast: it sounds like your problem is very reproducible.  I don't suppose you have another GPS that you could you and send the 310 to me so I can see what's going on?

I'm out of ideas.  I don't have a Garmin that uses Ant Agent so I can't reproduce the problem.

Burnt Toast: it sounds like your problem is very reproducible.  I don't suppose you have another GPS that you could you and send the 310 to me so I can see what's going on?

I just email Garmin support today about getting my 310 fixed\replaced and they sent an email stating they will get back to me in no later then 3 days. The down arrow button doesn't work. I could sent it to you after I get it back unless someone else wants to offer the use of theirs. I'll let you know after I recieve an answer from Garmin. GPS, but I do have an FR60 that uses a foot pod.

Actually I think I'll use the FR60 tomorrow on the dreadmill and see if RA will find that workout after I upload it. It uses the Ant Agent also.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Eric

I did a little experiment today with my FR60 and my 310xt. I paired the FR60 with my computer and did a dummy workout for a test. After I ended the session, the Ant Agent found the FR60 and imported the dummy workout. I then opened up RA and chose the FR60 to import form. RA found the new workout.

Next I started my 310xt and made another dummy workout, then seaved it. The Ant Agent found a new workout on the 310xt and downloaded it. I then tried to upload to RA and no new workouts were found.

Then I copied the dummy workout from the 310's activities folder to the FR60's activities folder. Went back into RA and select the FR60 for import and the copied dummy workout from the 310 was found and successfully imported.

Thoughts?

MTA: Lastly, I made another dummy workout on the FR60 and sent it to the Ant Agent. I then cut it out of the FR60 device folder and pasted it into the 310 devide folder. Next I opened RA and tried to import new activities from 310 but nothing was found.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

My 310XT is working fine ever since August when I did the total reset of the device.   (fingers crossed)   No problem uploading to RA.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

My 310XT is working fine ever since August when I did the total reset of the device.   (fingers crossed)   No problem uploading to RA.

I've tried that three times now and even loaded the most recent software onto it from Garmin......waiting to see how stupid that was.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

No, sorry.  I'm not sure if it's the GPS or not.  The fact it says it cannot find the GPS is my challenge.  Usually, having the Ant software / data on the system is sufficient.  Don't need the Ant or GPS in/running.  The Ant software and/or communicator serve as what RA sees as the GPS being "connected".

• Black Canyon 100k
                      • RRR
                      • Zane Grey 100k
                      • High Lonesome 100
                      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                      • The Bear 100
                      • Javelina Jundred (?)
                      HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Interesting - Garmin Connect can't "find" the device either (Chrome, IE)  and both Mac and PC.

• Black Canyon 100k
                        • RRR
                        • Zane Grey 100k
                        • High Lonesome 100
                        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                        • The Bear 100
                        • Javelina Jundred (?)
                        eric :)

Burnt Toast,

What happens if you uncheck the "Import new workouts only" option?  Does it upload all workouts, including the new ones?  Or does it not find anything?

I was thinking of the next step if your answer is it uploaded all workouts, including new ones and decided to look into your data.  It turned out that RA thinks your last workout was completed on May 13, 2013.  This would explain why the Ant Agent doesn't find any new workouts.  I have manually set the date back several days so it should start working for you again.

I don't know how this happened, unless there's a corrupt entry in your GPS.  I'll put in code to prevent dates in the future.

eric Smile

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Here is what I've done tonight and Garmin is now "seeing" my device.  I will try RA once all firmware is updated.

Garmin 301xt and Mac.

1) manually uploaded all TCX files from my Garmin folder on mac

2) Deleted all programs related to garmin:  Ant Agent, Training center, communicator plugin. 

3) Went into the plugins folder and deleted anything to do with Garmin. 

4) Restarted Firefox.

5) Removed any old installation programs from hard drive. 

6) Emptied trash.

7) Deleted all workouts on the device.

8) Hard reset device

9) installed Garmin Ant Agent

10) Paired the device to Ant agent

11) Installed Communicator (It found device this time!)

12) Started installing firmware updates

To be continued.

13) After 2 firmware updates, RA now "sees" my device. Approve

• Black Canyon 100k
                            • RRR
                            • Zane Grey 100k
                            • High Lonesome 100
                            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                            • The Bear 100
                            • Javelina Jundred (?)

Burnt Toast,

What happens if you uncheck the "Import new workouts only" option?  Does it upload all workouts, including the new ones?  Or does it not find anything?

I was thinking of the next step if your answer is it uploaded all workouts, including new ones and decided to look into your data.  It turned out that RA thinks your last workout was completed on May 13, 2013.  This would explain why the Ant Agent doesn't find any new workouts.  I have manually set the date back several days so it should start working for you again.

I don't know how this happened, unless there's a corrupt entry in your GPS.  I'll put in code to prevent dates in the future.

eric Smile

That makes alot of sense and explains why I can upload all but not the newest. I'll try it today on my lunchtime run and let you know what happens either way. Today is the last day of use for my 310 as it will be shipped back to Garmin today.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Eric

It is working again, thanks for straightening this out for me.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life