100 Miles this month FINALLY (Read 380 times)

Latent Runner

Way to go!  Congrats!

With my run today I have also gone over 100 miles in a month for my FIRST TIME EVER!!!

Well done; congratulations!

If you're like me your next goal will be to average 100 miles per month for a full year.  I set that goal for myself back in 2009 and have yet to achieve it, however, if I stay on my current plan I'll be at 802 miles on 31-Aug-2013 (this after playing lots of "catch-up" due to heavy snow earlier this year and a 6-week layoff due to cataract surgery.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

to all you who have posted about your 100 mile month,  great job!  way to be consistent!

Congrats... was hoping for a similar streak. But it may be difficult this month. If my schedule works out this week I will give it a go. Had a baby girl on August 1st. It's been the most rewarding month of my life. But it has been hard to get miles in.

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.

Carbs and Cabernet

Once you go triple-digits, you never want to go back. Wink

Amen to that!

90.4 so far in August, but the month is still young, right?

Latent Runner

Amen to that!

90.4 so far in August, but the month is still young, right?

You've got it locked, even if you only run two miles per day.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Congrats!  Once you go triple-digits, you never want to go back. Wink

so so true.   broke 100 today for   # 50 consecutive since July 2009.  there have been a few months where it was a struggle & this was one of them!    have had to work through some issues & #1 issue has been dealing with a hamstring injury past 3 wks. but got it done. meeting my partner tomorrow for our wkly track w/o & then take 2-3 days off.   will be 3rd straight week of not doing the w/o but will be there for her for moral support.  

I am testament to the fact that anyone can put together a nice streak of 100 miles/month.   consistency,  patience, & slow or moderate upward progression are the keys

Outside Lane

so so true.   broke 100 today for   # 50 consecutive since July 2009.  there have been a few months where it was a struggle & this was one of them!    have had to work through some issues & #1 issue has been dealing with a hamstring injury past 3 wks. but got it done. meeting my partner tomorrow for our wkly track w/o & then take 2-3 days off.   will be 3rd straight week of not doing the w/o but will be there for her for moral support.  

I am testament to the fact that anyone can put together a nice streak of 100 miles/month.   consistency,  patience, & slow or moderate upward progression are the keys

Absolutely awesome streak!  We're not worthy..... Shocked

See how they run...

I dont think its that big of a deal (although I am somewhat proud of it) , anyone can do it with consistency.  you have to get that 1st one under your belt however & Beatlemaniac you just did.  no stopping you now!

Latent Runner

I dont think its that big of a deal (although I am somewhat proud of it) , anyone can do it with consistency.  you have to get that 1st one under your belt however & Beatlemaniac you just did.  no stopping you now!

Prior to April of this year staying consistent was more than a bit difficult.  In July of 2009 I did my first 100+ mile month, errr, at least my first 100+ mile month since before I broke my leg back in January of 2003, and made myself a goal of averaging 100 miles per month for an entire year (meaning I was giving myself permission to have a "miss" or two here and there as long as I made up for it later on).  Here we are 4 years later and I might actually accomplish that goal for the first time; assuming I stay on plan for the rest of this week I'll have something like 806 miles for the year by Saturday.  That said, given the snow we had here earlier this year combined with a 6-week layoff due to cataract surgery, I had a LOT of miles to make up; my June through August tally will come to something like 613 miles.

Fat old man PRs:

Shipo.

the mostly mild PNW (puget sound area) weather definitely has its advantages as long as you dont mind the rain & wind.   but theres always the dreadmill at home or at gym.  ice (we do get a fair amt ) is the only thing that i have trouble with, but can still hit dreadmill or lower elevation trail runs.  I've had to work through several mild to moderate injuries but fortunately nothing that has stopped my runs for more than a few days, nothing that has required surgery.  I was diagnosed with a neuro-musculer disease (cervical dystonia) just over a year that has greatly affected my breathing & running form & everyday life.  something that I deal with 24/7.  still learning & adapting, every day is different.  lifetime challenge.

July 2009 was not the 1st 100 mile month  but that was when my streak started.  like I said you need to get the 1st one before you get the 2nd one.  setting a goal of 100 + mpm avg is an awesome goal but be careful with that.  if you have a month of say 50 miles be careful with thinking you have to hit 150 the following month to hit the avg.  thats alot of pressure & stress to put on yourself. You'll get it done this next week,  confident of that!

Latent Runner

Thanks SkyeDog,

Yeah, the PNW does have its winter time running advantages to be sure; my wife was amost transfered from where we live now in southern New Hampshire to Vancouver a few years ago, and while I was looking forward to being able to run year-round, she wasn't so thrilled about the reported lack of sunshine your area gets (personally I prefer dark and misty/rainy over bright, warm, and sunny, yeah, I'm sick, I know).

Sorry to year about your cervical dystonia, I feel fortunate that my age related maladies have, so far at least, been able to be repaired surgically or at least mitigated  (I'm thinking "sleep apnea" here being mitigated with a CPAP).

Regarding my fluctuating monthly mileage numbers; I also feel fortunate in that I can vary my mileage fairly significantly from one month to the next.  Since restarting my running last April (following the aforementioned layoff due to execssive snow and "doctor's orders" following cataract surgery), I ramped up from 0 in March to something like 36 in April, 82 in May, 136 in June, 218 in July, and I'm on track for 259 for August.  The key for me seems to be to stay on the dirt trails (except for days when I'm competing in a road race), and run no faster than 10-minute miles.

The interesting side benefit is the associated weight loss, I haven't changed my diet at all, and yet I've managed to lose some 50 pounds since April.  Losing this much weight wasn't really the plan, and I have no idea if I can sustain the downward trend on the scale, but if I can hit rougly 170 by next spring (which means another 25 pounds), I might actually have a shot at being able to run competitive in my age group (50-59 or 55-59 depending upon the size of the race).  Smile

Regards,

Dale

Fat old man PRs:

had a bit of rain today & more forecast for next 2-3 days but overall this has been one of the best summers that I can remember for awhile.  Joke is that summer here starts on July 5th because it always rains on the 4th.   whenever summer starts we usually have 3 or more months of 70-85 with a few rain days.  wife saw recently on the internet that Seattle was ranked #3 on list of large U.S. cities with the best weather.  ha ha  shhh don't tell anyone.

congrats on losing that 50 lbs,  thats about how much I've lost over last 5-6 yrs..  make sure you find a balance between cardio/aerobic & strength training or else you will lose a lot of muscle & not just fat.   strength training will also help with all that loose skin around midsection from all that lost weight, especially for us in our 50's.  that's alot of weight you've lost in a very very short time.

good luck, sounds like you have a good idea & handle of what you what to do.

Latent Runner

make sure you find a balance between cardio/aerobic & strength training or else you will lose a lot of muscle & not just fat.   strength training will also help with all that loose skin around midsection from all that lost weight, especially for us in our 50's.  that's alot of weight you've lost in a very very short time.

Thanks, I didn't know that strength training can help with the loose skin.  The good news is that even though I am a computer engineer by profession, I have another job is as a part-time caretaker on a horse farm (where I also live).  While being a caretaker doesn't qualify as "strength training" per-se, I do shovel out a half a ton of horse poop per week, am constantly moving around 50 pound grain bags, 50(ish) pound bails of hay (we do our own haying and we do it for the neighboring farm as well), and then of course there is the muscling around of our eleven horses (even the well behaved ones are a challenge to keep under control when you're leading three or four at once between the barn and the pastures).

Hopefully that's enough because I really don't have time to add other workouts into my schedule.  Smile

Once again, thanks for the advice.  Stay safe and keep running.  Cool

Fat old man PRs:

erinr

I'm normally a lurker, but just had to chime in and say that I also broke 100 this month for the first time!  Celebrating with a beer and some potato chips, and looking forward to many more.  Feels good, doesn't it? Big grin

Shipo,  that sounds like some hard work & probably would qualify as crosstraining.   I have alot of respect for people who do that kind of hard work as part of their everyday life.    and by the way did not mean to type that in bold print.  hit some key by accident & was not able to undo it.   sorry

ekat:  congrats on hitting that 100mpm mark!  1st of many hopefully.