Don't let the marathon scare you (Read 927 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

They failed to account for monkey attacks.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

They failed to account for monkey attacks.
      The monkey attacks don't affect the major metro marathons Perfesser, so they are woefully underreported by the major media. The article is absolutely right about the overemphasis on marathon deaths, bad news sells. You won't see America's weight problem called an issue by health professionals, it's called an epidemic for a reason. The health risks of planting yourself on the couch are much greater. Like Bill Maher said, "ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you".

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

this reminds me of my favorite factoid: your chance of getting struck and killed by lightning during an entire year equals your chance of dying in your car after driving a mere 7 miles. i'm hoping to race my next marathon in a lightning storm. let's see if those monkeys have enough balls to come after me then.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

mcsolar, you had better select your marathon wisely after a taunt like that...
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

this reminds me of my favorite factoid: your chance of getting struck and killed by lightning during an entire year equals your chance of dying in your car after driving a mere 7 miles. i'm hoping to race my next marathon in a lightning storm. let's see if those monkeys have enough balls to come after me then.
            Great factoid! I will repeat that to my friends who are scared of flying - I always tell them it's much more dangerous driving across town to the airport than flying commercially cross-country! They look at me like I'm nuts...
              mcsolar, you had better select your marathon wisely after a taunt like that...
              i'm in my last hard week for pf changs (13 jan) machismo is the only thing keeping me afloat right now... Wink in two weeks i'll be sacrificing at the flying monkey alter to atone for my sins, for sure... stumbling towards the taper... Dead
                Great article ... definitely something to share when people ask me if I'm worried about dropping dead in a marathon. Roll eyes
                2009: BQ?
                  Well, if a Canadian from Toronto is cited in the article it must be true. Wink I make a point of entering races that my cardiologist is also running. Seriously. He is a runner too, and I often find myself toeing the line with him. I try to stay particularly close on the big hills. Can't be too careful.

Imminent Catastrophe

... I always tell them it's much more dangerous driving across town to the airport than flying commercially cross-country! ...
                    Of course, that depends on who's at the controls... Shocked

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Feeling the growl again

The dangers of marathons may be exaggerated, but the benefits of 5Ks and 10Ks are not appreciated. Marathons are serious events that put people's bodies through a lot of stress. I still don't understand why newer runners feel the need to jump right to the marathon and forego all the benefits of shorter races.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

worried about dropping dead in a marathon.
                        This is my husband's number one fear of my running marathons. He says that it is just too much tempting fate and that the human body isn't meant to run for that long.

Michelle

This is my husband's number one fear of my running marathons. He says that it is just too much tempting fate and that the human body isn't meant to run for that long.
                          Wasn't it that PBS special last month or so ago that talked about how humans used to catch their food by outlasting the animals - i.e. long distance running. Maybe he could watch that and it will remind him to get back to his caveman roots.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Wasn't it that PBS special last month or so ago that talked about how humans used to catch their food by outlasting the animals - i.e. long distance running. Maybe he could watch that and it will remind him to get back to his caveman roots.
                            Yep Mike it was that Nova special!! Now for me if I'm going to drop dead during a race it's more likely to be a 5k Confused

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Funny. But he'd then politely remind me that there are 4 grocery stores within 10 miles of our home..and last time he checked there weren't any wild animals hiding in the meat department. Smile

Michelle