What's your favorite setting for a run? (Read 199 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Paved trails in urban/suburban areas?  Trails in the woods?  Roads in town?  What is your favorite type of environment to run in?

I've done all of the above, and I think I like the good ol' county roads around my house.  Sure, there are often loose dogs, I have to share it with cars without a shoulder to take, and there are plenty of bugs during summer.  But I like them because they're peaceful (the relatively infrequent cars are usually going fairly slow and most of the dogs just bark) and pretty when the light hits just right.

That image may have a teensy bit of a filter on it, but you get the idea.  And the cute biker chick in the center of the frame is also a bonus. Smile

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

obiebyke

I love the pressed-down gravel roads near my cabin in the woods most, but for everyday runs, I choose the paved trail around the nearest urban lake over sidewalks/stopping for traffic any day. I get to nod to the other regulars, say hi to dogs, and watch the seasons change.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Wandering Wally

Forest single track:

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

I like country roads and trails pretty equally.  In a perfect world, it will be a little chilly and just before sunset.  This is one of my favorite places to start a run and is smack in the middle of a lot of awesome rolling country roads and very little traffic.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

I'm divided between single track in the woods and whatever surface I can find near the ocean.

Hmm.  I think I know where there's some single track near a bay that I haven't hit since I started running.  Used to walk the dogs there when we had free time...have to see if I can get there some morning...

Gator eye

My favorite time and place to run is during a full moon on back country roads. No head lamp needed, no house lights, no noise just quiet running by the moon and stars. Added bonus is a inch or two of fresh snow.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

My favorite time and place to run is during a full moon on back country roads. No head lamp needed, no house lights, no noise just quiet running by the moon and stars. Added bonus is a inch or two of fresh snow.

That is nice, isn't it?  I hate getting up super-early, but once I get out there, if there's a full moon and stars as you describe, nothing better!

Never done that in fresh snow, though.  Winters around here are usually either snow way too deep to run in, formerly-deep snow that is now brown and slushy, or 95 degrees and humid.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Unpaved, single lane fire roads.  I run in a state wildlife management area called Hanging Bog.  I rarely see any vehicles or other people.  I see deer, beavers, turtles, ducks, geese, and one time I saw a black bear.  I run through various types of forest and my favorite spot in a dense pine stand I like to call the Scary Forest.  I have a nice mix of hills and flat and I can run down the center of the road if I want the cushion of grass.  The only downside to it is in the height of summer when the biting flies are bad.  This time of year it is perfect though.

Leah, mother of dogs

Forest single track:

+1  Cool PERFECT!! Love them!!

I was about to share a few shots from the rail trail to which I sometimes find my way.

But, really my favorite setting is a race.  I guess maybe because I train mostly alone, but am an otherwise social person, I especially enjoy the opportunity to be in the thick of a pack, pushing and pulling.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

some call me Tim

Here's another vote for forest single track, that's my absolute favorite, especially if it's rolling terrain. The isolated country road with an occasional barn collapsing in on itself is a staple as well, though.

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

Is this Lake of the Isles? I have run around Harriet, Calhoun and Isles a million times this year, but I am having trouble getting my bearings in this picture.

I love the pressed-down gravel roads near my cabin in the woods most, but for everyday runs, I choose the paved trail around the nearest urban lake over sidewalks/stopping for traffic any day. I get to nod to the other regulars, say hi to dogs, and watch the seasons change.

kcam

Single track, dirt - check

Forested - check

Race - check

Golden Gate XC Championship. GG park one of my favorite places to run!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Any setting where I don't have to spend the run time concentrating on roots and rocks Dead

steph  

wildchild

Carolyn

Funny - I just posted this picture yesterday in the Masters forum - this is a different Golden Gate:  Golden Gate Canyon State Park, Colorado.  My favorite place to run.  Steep single track trails in the mountains.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.