What's your favorite setting for a run? (Read 199 times)

Any setting where I don't have to spend the run time concentrating on roots and rocks Dead

I'm pretty envious of the flat dirt trails outside the Northeast, but am finding some benefits to a few rocks and roots here and there.

It’s widely reported that running on trails is softer for the foot and can help reduce injuries. Well, there is actually zero evidence to show that softer surfaces decrease injury. However, there is a significant amount of clinical evidence that shows runners who spend time on trails have fewer injuries than runners who stick to roads. So what’s going on? By nature of the rocks, roots, and drops on the trail, running on unpredictable surfaces is more variable than the road. Even though you are just out for a romp in the woods, your body is subconsciously practicing different strategies for foot and ankle stabilization and contact patterns. Mix up your surfaces and you’ll refine your skills.

-Anatomy for Runners

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

No Talent Drips

my favorite setting is a race.  

Dreamy.

Dei Gratia

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Funny - I just posted this picture yesterday in the Masters forum - this is a different Golden Gate:  Golden Gate Canyon State Park, Colorado.  My favorite place to run.  Steep single track trails in the mountains.

Boy, if I had anything like that in my area, it might be a contender for my county roads...

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

obiebyke

Funny you ask, Laker, because I realized after I posted it that I think it's the wrong lake, but I didn't change it. I was doing a Google image search for Nokomis, which is where I usually run. I just moved to the east-ier side of Minneapolis after a couple of years right by Harriet. Have you tried the Land of 10,000 Lakes forum?

Is this Lake of the Isles? I have run around Harriet, Calhoun and Isles a million times this year, but I am having trouble getting my bearings in this picture.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

some call me Tim

I'm pretty envious of the flat dirt trails outside the Northeast, but am finding some benefits to a few rocks and roots here and there.

I actually have a real fondness for technical terrain.. it really becomes a sort of different sport. Very improvisational and engaging.

Latent Runner

Nuff said.  Cool

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
              • 2-mile: 13:49
              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
              • 5-Mile: 37:24
              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
              Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

Funny you ask, Laker, because I realized after I posted it that I think it's the wrong lake, but I didn't change it. I was doing a Google image search for Nokomis, which is where I usually run. I just moved to the east-ier side of Minneapolis after a couple of years right by Harriet. Have you tried the Land of 10,000 Lakes forum?

I haven't, but I will check it out. i occasionally run by Nokomis while running from Harriet (my home lake) to Minnehaha Falls. Minneapolis has so many great places to run.

dennrunner

My favorite time and place to run is during a full moon on back country roads. No head lamp needed, no house lights, no noise just quiet running by the moon and stars. Added bonus is a inch or two of fresh snow.

Yes, very nice, especially on the newly fallen snow. Takes me back to my early days of running. Only bad thing was the cotton sweats (pre technical material days).

Single track trails through the woods or above treeline. Love spruce needles under my feet.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Any setting where I don't have to spend the run time concentrating on roots and rocks Dead

With Tea olive on this. I love running in the country, preferably the North East, and I am okay running on trails, but I find it hard to get into a real groove when I am always adjusting for rocks, etc. Give me an asphalt or well packed road running through north central New Hampshire and I am good (written as I have been sentenced to spending the foreseeable future running on straight boring, heavily landscaped residential roads though hot and muggy SWFL).

Hip Redux

I love trail running of any kind.   I do mostly road but the days in the woods are my favorite!  The only time I don't enjoy it is when it's so rocky or rooty that I'm worried about getting injured - just have to pick the trails right.  Smile

Arimathea

Tessa

I'm with those who prefer to avoid roots and rocks. I'm one who can trip on a flat floor and some of the worst falls I've taken have been on trails. I love them but I don't like the unplanned gravity checks that go along with them.

So, favourite for me is back roads, preferably those with decent shoulders so I can avoid cars.

#artbydmcbride

Asphalt paved bike path (no cars)  early in the morning with no bicyclists.  Cool

Runners run

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Earth.  Lunar runs kill my vertical oscillation stats.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Resident Historian

Right on Hereford, left on Boylston.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson