Asics Gel Kayano 14 (Read 859 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Just ordered a pair. Had a gait analysis and tried them on the treadmill. They are billed as the ultimate high mileage shoe... Anyone had any good/bad experiences with them?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Just ordered a pair. Had a gait analysis and tried them on the treadmill. They are billed as the ultimate high mileage shoe... Anyone had any good/bad experiences with them?
      It's been all good for me. I've been a Kayano wearer for a pretty long time. If you've ever worn anything from the Asics GT-2xxx series, they're a similar fit and built for a similar type of runner. But if the GT-2xxx series is like a mid-range car, then the Kayanos are a Cadillac. Very luxurious feel.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I was looking at getting them, but ended up with the New Balance 1223. I seem to recall the toe box being small with the kayanos.

Vim

Purdey

Self anointed title

Had first run in them today. Feel very good. Strange about the toe box - feels as if there's loads of room in there for me. Maybe I've got small toes?!

ymmv

been wearing kayanos since they had no number. my first pair were purple. wish i still had them to compare to the latest models. its fun to wear the really old models to a running store: "Hi! Looking for some shoes!?" after about 300 miles, i start to think they are ready to retire. i used to buy them 1/2 size larger than my street shoes, and i only ran maybe 3 miles at a time. once i started running longer distances, my little toenails started to suffer. i solved that by buying them 1 full size larger than my street shoes. i have always been able to put on a brand new pair of kayanos and run without feeling i needed a break in period. with the 14's however, both pairs i own felt stiff at the inside left ankle and left a sore spot until they had about 50 miles on them. another shoe that i've tried is the mizuno wave nirvana. there is no reason i should like them, but they continue to be very kind to my feet.
            Darla1

I love the Kayano - I do need to replace them between 300-350, but I run on gravel roads so would probably be have to do this with any shoes. I've got my friend running in them now too. She loves them also. Not cheap, but I tried several other shoes before I found these. Will never try anything else now.
                But if the GT-2xxx series is like a mid-range car, then the Kayanos are a Cadillac. Very luxurious feel.
                If the Kayanos are Cadilac The Asics Kinsei's are Rolls Royce Tongue. Haven't tried the Kinsei 2's, but we may need a new car to compare them to.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Darla1

I have not seen the Asics Kinsei's. Has anyone run in these? How do these feel? Compare them to the Kayano's if you can.
                  Leechie

Have started training for the Melbourne since February and have been wearing Kayano's since and are a fantastic shoe. Are expensive compared to other shoes, but your body will thank you for it.

Kings Canyon NP 07'

I quit the kayanos after the tens--- best shoes for me ever. When the 11's came out I got orthodicts and switched to gel landreths.. Best of luck on the 14's...

left-right-left-right-repeat

Ostrich runner

I have a pair of 13s with about 400 on them. They had no signs of wear until 350, and didn't start getting comfortable until 300. I prefer my old gt's, mostly because of flexibility--my old gt's were really fine until 650 or so (admittedly, I'm pretty soft on shoes).

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I bought a pair of Kayano 14's not that long ago and have to say I'm not a great fan. I think that it might be my fault though - you know when the shoes are not QUITE right in the store but you feel pressured into buying them? Yeah, that happened. Anyway, they're OK but not nearly as comfortable and all-round perfect as my Adidas Adistar Control 4's... Cry

Ostrich runner

What do you not like about them?

I had bad blisters in my arches to start with, and then knee pain that went on for a few weeks but they're OK now...my knees still hurt a little sometimes but maybe it's unrelated? Not sure. I do want to stress that I think I should have said "No" in the store - they're a well-built shoe etc, I think just not right for me. Anyway, I just impulse-bought a pair of Saucony Progrid Hurricane 9's...was at the factory outlet store, tried them on and *love*...

Ostrich runner

That sounds similar to my experience with the 13s before I spent several hundred miles breaking them in--the lack of flexibility caused arch blisters and all sorts of problems. I probably would have switched to a new shoe, but I couldn't bring myself to fork out the cash after spending that much on the Kayanos.