Anti-depressants and running? (Read 777 times)

Fly5k

Hi! I've got severe depression, and I will start taking Zoloft soon. My doctor said that since I'm under 18, Zoloft could make my depression worse if she doesn't prescribe the right dosage. Would an anti-depressant affect my running, or make it less enjoyable? My doctor already knows I run. The endorphins help...but only for about an hour.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not sure...but I would think it would help. And running should definitely help with depression, too. Some doctors recommend exercise to treat mild depression before they will discuss meds, so there's something to those endorphins. I'd definitely tell your doctor about your running...he/she may take that into account when coming up with your starting dosage. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

obiebyke

Yes, it should make running better, ONCE SHE GETS THE DOSE RIGHT. You should have more motivation and more energy. Since you're under 18, please please be careful and pay attention to any suicidal thoughts that start cropping up. Anti-depressants can be a little funky with adolescent brain chemistry. That said, they can also be a GODSEND. Good luck. Don't be afraid to try a different drug if Zoloft doesn't work. Patience really pays off once you find the right meds and feel the weight lifting. Hang in there.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yes, it should make running better, ONCE SHE GETS THE DOSE RIGHT. You should have more motivation and more energy. Since you're under 18, please please be careful and pay attention to any suicidal thoughts that start cropping up. Anti-depressants can be a little funky with adolescent brain chemistry. That said, they can also be a GODSEND. Good luck. Don't be afraid to try a different drug if Zoloft doesn't work. Patience really pays off once you find the right meds and feel the weight lifting. Hang in there.
          Yep. I have a close friend who struggles with depression and when her meds are right she's a very different person than she is without meds or on the wrong meds/wrong dosage. I hope you are feeling better very soon, fly.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Good to meet you, Fly5k. I'm not a doctor, but your questions struck home. My own brother went through a terrible depression when we were kids. I hurt for him every day. He saw doctors, took meds, and attempted suicide once. Thank God he made it through. My brother is a different person now. We're in our late 30's, and he hasn't been depressed in years. I guess all I'm trying to say is stay in there and work on it. Don't give up. I don't know what I'd have done if I'd lost my brother. He was, and still is, my closest friend. I just don't think he could see it at the time because of the fog he was living in. I hope this hasn't sounded too tragic. I just wanted to encourage you if I could. I hope you have a friend or relative who you can count on. There are too many false "friends" out there who will make your depression worse by feeding it with alcohol or drugs, offering a hollow freedom. With running, you've got a better path. Good luck to you. God bless. Run the good race.
            Do bears bear? Do bees be?
            finney

Resident pinniped

I have my doubts about the "under 18" logic. After all, you don't go to bed with one specific body chemistry the night before your 18th birthday and wake up with some huge changes having taken place. ALL antidepressants can cause an increase in suicidal thoughts in people of ANY age, the reason for that is there is a period where you feel more active before your depression actually improves that much, so you have the (and there's no good way to say this) energy to commit suicide. As for running, it should make it more enjoyable once your medication kicks in. Just make sure you tell your doctor about ANY side effects you're having a hard time dealing with, running related or not. There is way more than one antidepressant, and the drugs are supposed to improve your qulity of life, not give you more unacceptable symptoms.
                Hi Fly, I'm new to RA and to running (I'm still at the hybrid stage..run slow and walk), but not to taking Zoloft, so I'll chime in. It has helped me with running because I'm more calm, have a more even mood, so feel more relaxed as I run. I'm not as anxious feeling all the time, which helps because running is such a challenge for me, but now I'm not anxious about it, so I'm doing better. I am a bit more tired feeling all the time, but this does not hurt my motivation to run. I sleep better, which helps me overall. If it does hurt your running, just realize it's temporary and that not addressing the issues may hurt your running even more...be patient with your treatment, just like a physical injury. I do notice that my sex drive has taken a dive--I'm not dead, just not as frustrated if I don't get it, I guess I can say. That can be calming in some ways LOL! Everyone reacts differently, so don't get too discouraged and keep the talks going with your doctor on how you are doing. Sometimes the chemicals in our brains get all out of whack and there's nothing wrong with getting some help. Just realize that you are okay, you are normal, you are not alone. The last 2 bits don't seem to be about running but they are...life is just like running...just keep going!
                You can fly, but that cocoon has to go.
                  I took them for several months while going through some really hard times and for general anxiety/panic attacks. They made me extremely lazy and not want to exercise at all. I gained 10-15 lbs which I've since lost. All I wanted to do was sleep, watch TV, and eat (and drink beer, which I don't recommend on ADs!). They can make your depression worse after you take them for a while IMO, mainly because they help you get out of one rut and can put you in another (the lazy and lethargic one). I'm not saying you shouldn't take them, just start out with a low dosage and be careful. They ARE addictive physically and mentally, and you'll have withdrawal symptoms if you get off of them too quickly.
                  JakeKnight

All I wanted to do was sleep, watch TV, and eat (and drink beer
                    Obviously someone is slipping me some antidepressants.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Bugs

Was on lexapro for a bit, my best year of running. Not sure if it was the drugs or me dealing with the crap that got me on the drugs that I can credit the running improvement. I recommend reading Duel in the Sun. Talks about Alberto Salazar when he went on the drugs and how it improved his performance. Crap, just thinking about how they improved my running makes me want to start taking them again, but they really hold a grip on you in a very suddle way. Good look, it's not crime to take the drugs, and it doesn't have to be a life-time deal.

Bugs

One word of caution: Don't trust your doctor. They give that stuff out like candy. If you're gonna get the right dose/type, it will take time. But, you HAVE to use therapy in conjunction. Be careful. Good luck.

- Anya

Bugs

Those drugs are the doctor's hammer. Be patient, one day at a time. You might want to keep a log of how you're feeling. Take it from someone in the middle of a mid-life crisis; 18 is a wonderful age, so many opportunities. A unique time in your life where you get to pick where to take your life. Please take care.

Bugs