Do I need trail shoes? (Read 903 times)

Shiksa

I'm doing a trail 1/2 in March and am debating on whether or not to get trail shoes. My main objection is that it took me 3 tries to get the right street running shoes, and I'm not wanting to go through that again. As far as I know, the trail will not have running water or other obstacles that would make quick-dry a bonus. It's definitely a trail with rocks and such, but I don't think it is too technical based on most of my state park experience. WWYD?

Stacy
    I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

Think Whirled Peas

I guess I wouldn't go get a new pair for one race...but if you're planning on training on trails and/or doing more trail races, then it's probably a good investment. One thing I've learned so far is that the right shoes make all the difference!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

...---...

My main objection is that it took me 3 tries to get the right street running shoes, and I'm not wanting to go through that again.
        Trail shoes have been a good move for me - same situation for me in that I LOVE my street shoes and know they are right. So I asked my local store to help me find the closest thing to those but in a trail version. They did, and all is well. I suspect that if you like your trail shoes, you'll do more off road running. It's a nice change of pace over the same routes/traffic etc. Good luck.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

If you can run where your race is to check out the course, that's the easiest way. I fretted about that for my first trail race also, but ended up using my road shoes and did fine, but my road shoes have always had some lugs on them for snow (most of my running was in winter). Many people use their road shoes for trails, some even use flats to be more nimble. Some people can run good lines between rocks and roots, if the trail permits. Other trails may force you to step on pointy-side up rocks, and I think that's the situation where a good tread may help the most. The other is if you're on a slick muddy course, and have shoes that shed the mud. Some tread patterns capture it so that eventually you're running with mud against mud. Not a problem with some soil types, but potential problem with others. But if I owned road shoes that worked for me, I could probably use them on most of my trails. That said, I do currently run in trail shoes and have for 5 years, partly because when a PT identified some of my pronation issues, of the shoes he recommended to me (Brooks Adrenaline, Trespass), the Trepass worked better for me. (Adrenaline at the time didn't have enough forefoot padding for me as a mid-, fore-foot striker.) And I use Cascadias and Adrenaline ASR3's (less aggressive tread than Trespass) on the few road runs I was do. I totally understand where you're coming from on not wanting to deal with finding another shoe. I stockpiled all the Trespasses I could find when they were discontinued and stockpiled a few pair of ASR3's when I discovered the 4s seemed to have a smaller toe box. Enjoy your race!
          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          kcam

I run lots and lots of trail miles (nothing too technical and very little water crossing). I use my regular training shoes which are ASICS DS Trainers. You wouldn't suspect they'd be any good for trail but they work just fine and they dry out very fast with the right lightweight socks as well. Don't overthink the situation - for one race use your normal shoes.
            Shiksa

Thank you so much for all the replies. Smile They were really helpful.

Stacy
              I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

I'll chime in and say that you are probably fine in road shoes, but I still recommend getting trail shoes for a race and here's why. Theoretically, you are going to train on trails for a trail race, so that adds another reason to get trail shoes. Second, most road shoes don't have a particularly aggressive tread, which can help keep you from sliding or slipping on rocks or roots or uneven terrain. Third, and not all trail shoes meet this criteria anyway, I like having narrower shoes for the trails than I do on the roads. A narrower shoe means that your ankle does not have to roll at as great an angle in order for your entire sole to come into contact with the ground as you run on uneven terrain. That means fewer turned ankles and falls. That being said, the kind of trails you are running on is going to make a big difference. If it is a well groomed trail that is basically a grassy or dirt type of road through the woods, then your road shoes will be fine. When I began running trails regularly, I didn't buy trail shoes for 3 or 4 months and I was okay even on some pretty technical single-track. When I decided to do a trail 50k, though, I bought a couple of pairs of trail shoes and they definitely make a difference over my road shoes. I rotate between different pairs of shoes for every run, though, so having an extra pair or two of shoes doesn't make a big difference to me. I don't have any DS Trainers anymore, so I'm not sure how they'd fare specifically on trails, but the majority of my shoes just don't have an aggressive enough tread to keep me from slipping. Either way, I recommend that you join this group: http://runningahead.com/groups/Trails Lots of good trail running talk in there. I also recommend reading a couple of articles that I wrote last year about trail running. The first was on a trail running clinic at a local running store (Trail Running 101) and the second was an article about how to fit more trail running into your weekly mileage (Trail Running for Road Runners) Good luck in your half, I'm looking forward to reading the race results.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Shiksa

Run to Win - Thank you for all the great information. I appreciate the time you took to write it. I'm going to read your links and join the group. Can't wait to read more.

Stacy

Third, and not all trail shoes meet this criteria anyway, I like having narrower shoes for the trails than I do on the roads. A narrower shoe means that your ankle does not have to roll at as great an angle in order for your entire sole to come into contact with the ground as you run on uneven terrain. That means fewer turned ankles and falls.
                    I don't mean to be a physics/geometry freak but I think your graphic shows that the angle is exactly the same for the wide shoe as the narrow shoe? Care to explain that?

I don't mean to be a physics/geometry freak but I think your graphic shows that the angle is exactly the same for the wide shoe as the narrow shoe? Care to explain that?
                      It takes a little longer for you to get your entire sole on the ground because it needs to travel a greater distance at the incline for a wider shoe, increasing your chance of slipping or twisting the ankle. Honestly, I never really thought about the "angle" aspect of it as being the same. I got the graphic out of the powerpoint presentation and the explanation from the person who put on the clinic, which seemed to make perfect sense at the time. I know that I've certainly rolled my ankle far fewer times with my narrow shoes than I have with normal shoes; maybe that's because the narrow ones have a better tread and has nothing to do with the width. Dammit, now I gotta go test things out. All of my other reasons for why I like trail shoes on trails still apply though! Heheh.

Run to Win

Lazy idiot

The angle is the same, but the outside distance is greater. MTA: What he said. Smile

Tick tock

To the original question: Sure. Get a trail pair. They can be your filthy muddy pair and you can keep your regular shoes for the road. Lots of people rotate shoe and it will likely make each last longer. I suppose it would only be justifiable if you run a decent amount of trails.

...---...

traction on wet exposed roots, some rocks was my biggest issue using my road shoes on trails. The extra nobbies on the bottom helped alot. The pair I bought also has a carbon fiber backing around the heal that has helped protect my foot from exposed sharp things. You'd be surprised how many dings I got around the heel. But still, for a brief experiment on trails, the expense may not be worth it.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I thought about it on my run some more, and not only is the outside distance greater, but your ankle is at a greater angle even if the sole of the shoe is at the same angle. Theoretically, your leg is going to be coming down at the same angle from your body no matter which shoe you wear, and it will be in the center of the shoe. Your ankle doesn't get wider with a wider shoe, which means that it is at a greater angle. There, figured it out. Big grin

Run to Win

kcam

I thought about it on my run some more, and not only is the outside distance greater, but your ankle is at a greater angle even if the sole of the shoe is at the same angle. Theoretically, your leg is going to be coming down at the same angle from your body no matter which shoe you wear, and it will be in the center of the shoe. Your ankle doesn't get wider with a wider shoe, which means that it is at a greater angle. There, figured it out. Big grin
                                Glad you did because I can't make head nor tail of what you just wrote. Maybe you should trail run in ballerina shoes to minimze the angle of the dangle. Smile