Intervals (Read 1198 times)

Jlanza

Okay, I know this must already be covered somehwere but I cannot find it. How would I enter this workout using the interval feature: 2 mile warm up in 16:30, then: 5 sets of (2 x 200 in 0:44, 1 x 400 in 88 seconds) 200 meter jogs at 12:00 pace after the 200s, 400 jog at 12:00 pace after the 400s) 1.5 mile cooldown. Any help would be appreciate. I cannot figure out how to use the interval function. Thanks.
    eric :)

Hi Joe, This is the post you're referring to: Running Log Tip #1: Interval. Maybe it can help you. If not, let me know and I'll guide you through it. eric Smile
      Jlanza

Eric, Thanks. I will try to use the instructions as soon as I can get to my log. This is a maddening problem that seems to be happening more and more. Whenever I clik on the "running log" tab on the top of any page - home, community, whatever, the page starts to load (the "progress" bar on the lower right beginns to fill up) then it just sits there and refuses to go to the page I want. I sometimes have to try to get onto the page 4 or 5 times before it works. Today I have been able to get there only one time and cannot get back. ANy idea what is going on? Thanks. Joe

Joe, There has been some performance issue with the site lately. The site shares the machine with many other sites. When these sites don't play nice, my site gets affected. Sometimes the server is just busy and is slow in serving up the pages, so just wait a little while, and it should come up. I'm in the process of moving the site to its own server. It might take a couple of months because it's a huge task, but when it's done, everything should be blazing fast. eric Smile

gimme some sugar, baby

wow... it's own server?! That's awesome! I can't wait!!
            George: Runner/Law Student
            www.gimme-five.com
            Jlanza

Eric, It is not quite an issue of being patient....I can sit there all day and click my heart away on that "running log" tab and not be abel to get in. Nothing you or I can do about it I guess.

wow... it's own server?! That's awesome! I can't wait!!
                I have the machine sitting at home right now. It'll take some time to install everything, and decide if I want to switch to use a different database, so it'll be a while before it happens. I am looking forward to it because I can do that much more with my own machine.

Eric, It is not quite an issue of being patient....I can sit there all day and click my heart away on that "running log" tab and not be abel to get in. Nothing you or I can do about it I guess.
                  I did notice that only the running log tab takes a while to load, but other pages are faster. I can't think of anything I'm doing differently with it. Obviously, something is different and I'll take a look to see what's going on. eric Smile
                  Jlanza

Eric, Okay, so I finally was able to get in and enter the workout using your instructions. Thank you. One detail and it is probably something I am not doing correctly. I told the log to autosum the inervals and the recoveries, so I am getting a combined total that looks like 8:46 pace, which is an average of the fast and slow sections of the workout. Is there a way to get hose two to show up separately so for example 2.5 miles at 5:52 pace and 2.25 at 12:00 pace? Thanks again for your help. Joe

Joe, Good to hear that you got it working. You have any suggestions on how to make it easier or more obvious? To answer your question, there is no way to get the times to show up separately for the same run. Some logs have warm up/cool down fields for each run, but I prefer them to be separate run entries altogether. What you can do is record your warm ups and cool downs as separate runs from your main workout. It's not all that much more work than lumping them all into one run. The advantage is when you are graphing or searching for them, you can compare apples to apples. If you include your warm up and cool down in the same run, you can't compare the times accurately. Does that make sense? eric Smile
                      Jlanza

Eric, Thanks. That is what I did - set up the warm up and cool down as separate runs. The interval thing is a little frustrating: You should be able to get a total for the fast and slow parts separately a la the running log you rescued me from!!! A feature to repeat sets would may keyboarding easier. If I am running sets of 5 x (2 x 200 + 1 x 440) as I did today, it owuld be great to be able to set that up once and "mutiply" it by 5. Lots of intervals workouts are done in sets. Also, I would propose a new workout type, which is repetitions - different from intervals. What I did today were reps, not intervals. I'm not asking for much am I? This log is a godsend, so please don't think that I am criticizing here. Joe

Also, I would propose a new workout type, which is repetitions - different from intervals. What I did today were reps, not intervals. I'm not asking for much am I? This log is a godsend, so please don't think that I am criticizing here.
                          Hi Joe, Another user made the same request a couple of months ago. He too wanted reps in the intervals form. Since I have more than 1 user requesting it, I'll add it to my list of things to do. I won't be able to get it to immediately since I'm working on something right now. As I tell everyone here, feel free to tell me what you want. I have a bunch of ideas on improving this site, but with your suggestions, I can make it even better. Things get better through criticisms, not kudos, so I want to hear what you're unhappy with, and fix it. eric Smile
                          Jlanza

Eirc, Given my druthers, I would have you separate the recoveries from the fast bouts to get the true time for intervals. Right now it appears that I am running my repeats/intervals at 8:46 pace pace, when it is really more like 5:52 pace. That is a real distortion and makes the log less useful because I have to remember what I actually did on those rep/interval days or look at hte workouts themselves. Joe

Joe, having separate times for the reps/intervals from the recoveries is somewhat hard. The issue here is there is no easy way of presenting the data. For example, in the summary and run listing, which time should they display? Having two separate time fields pose another problem. Someone will come along and ask for 3 time fields, then 4 and so forth. For now, I'll have to leave the log as it is, unless I can figure out how it should be done. If you have any ideas on how it should be, let me know, because it could be useful to others too. eric Smile
                              Jlanza

Eric, Showing the recoveries separate from the reps/intervals would necessitate adding a line (or two) to the summary. You would need a line to show total/average time for reps/intervals and a separate one for recoveries. That other running log I came from does it that way. Again, combining the fast and recovery times into one in the summary is meaningless. I just used the log for a race for the first time. No issues but one curious thing. While you have fields for overall and age group places, you do not have one for gender place. That is pretty standard stuff to track. In fact, many logs and athletes could care less where they finish overall but are only interested in gender and age group places. I think all three are useful.