2011 Gardening Thread (Read 1783 times)

It seems like overnight all the Orb spiders have disappeared.   How odd.  

- Anya

Well, yesterday (Saturday) was the end.  I went out in the snow and picked the last 15 of my tomatoes (two red, one partially red, the rest green).  I put them all in paper bags, and I'll hope for the best.  But, honestly, to be able, in South Jersey, to pick a ripe tomato off a plant on October 29th is pretty good IMO.  Last week I got about 5 ripe ones.

I can't wait for the 2012 Gardening Thread.

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

I can't wait for the 2012 Gardening Thread.

+1

My garden is empty now.  The rabbit fence has been put away, and I spread a couple of yards of home made compost.  Next year I am going to do something different and not rototill in the spring.  I am just going to keep top dressing with leaves, grass clippings, etc.  I am going to see if I get less weeds this way.  I think that tilling draws up weed seeds.  There's really no need for me to work the soil anymore because years of incorporating a lot of organic matter into it have really helped make it plant friendly.

The only thing left this year is to collect leaves.  I have a 4 x 8 wagon that I tow with my car.  When people put their leaves out to the curb I'll collect a couple of wagons full.

Not at it at all.