2011 Gardening Thread (Read 1783 times)

Glad this thread is alive again.

I've harvested two mini-early girl tomatoes.  Another one is almost ready.

Saturday, picked 3 jalapenos.

Come mid-August, I am going to be knee deep in plum tomatoes.  There are LOTS on the plants.  And, by the way, they are almost 6 feet tall now.  Crazy.

The cukes...going NUTZ with the flowers and leaves, but not one stinking cucumber yet.

My bell peppers...as I predicted.  I think my tomato plants are shadowing the peppers.  Nothing at all yet.  I'm a little disappointed at that.  I like peppers.  A lot.

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

Yeah the smaller tomatoes seem to have a lot more fruit on them.  Sometimes it's hard to keep up.  I have a couple of grape tomato plants and there are a lot of tomatoes on them .... some are ripening.  I have some of the larger yellow tomato plants and there are tomatoes on them but they are still all green.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

My tomato plans are now almost 5 feet tall.  The wire cages (the good ones) withstood direct 60mph winds.  Only 2 ripe tomatoes so far but they are about to go ape on us.

Peas are ripening...Lettuce is about to get on the old side.  Cucumbers should be edible in another week and a half, jalapenos in a week.  Corn seems to be running behind and short because despite tilling I never had time to weed in the actual rows and the pigweed is almost keeping up with the corn.

I netted the smaller grape variety yesterday to keep the birds out, had to spray for Japanese beetles before they stripped the leaves.  The Cayuga White grapes are coming along well, it's going to be a bumper crop.  Two peach trees are getting heavy though they have always leaned a bit and despite wiring up I'm always worried we are one windstorm away from losing them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I must be the only gardener who can't seem to get a zucchini plant to produce anything. Seriously, I've tried for years. My tomatoes on the other hand are amazing, and the cukes.

I must be the only gardener who can't seem to get a zucchini plant to produce anything. Seriously, I've tried for years. My tomatoes on the other hand are amazing, and the cukes.

Why won't my cukes produce?????

Flowers all over the place.

Jeff

Feeling the growl again

My issue is melons.  Year after year I plant them, the plants either die, the melons never ripen right, or right when they get ripe the bugs gut them.  This year in the spirit of simplifying my gardening life I didn't bother with them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I really think it's a matter of luck - which means a whole host of factors I can't quantify. I know I've been watering my cukes religiously each day. But the same with the zucchini, all female flowers, no goods. I just thank the garden diety for the lovely basil and tomatoes and whatever else is successful. I'll just pick up all my Dad's spare zucchini..

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

do you have bees to pollinate?

steph  

The bees are on there constantly.  Going from flower to flower.

Jeff

Best Present Ever

I'm having the same issue with the eggplant -- flowers but no fruit.  The cukes are right next to the eggplant and growing fruit.  weird.  My bell peppers ahve the tiniest, weeniest little peppers on them that don't seem to be growing, but the hot peppers are doing fine.

k

I'm having the same issue with the eggplant -- flowers but no fruit.  The cukes are right next to the eggplant and growing fruit.  weird.  My bell peppers ahve the tiniest, weeniest little peppers on them that don't seem to be growing, but the hot peppers are doing fine.

k

Same here (with the peppers).

Jeff

Found an interesting 'hummingbird' in my garden yesterday.   Well, it was the most bizare thing I've ever seen actually.  It looked just like a hummingbird, but had insect wings. 

Sure enough, I googled 'insects that look like hummingbirds'  and found out it was the

Clearwinged Hummingbird Moth.

The most interesting thing I've seen.

- Anya

Feeling the growl again

Found an interesting 'hummingbird' in my garden yesterday.   Well, it was the most bizare thing I've ever seen actually.  It looked just like a hummingbird, but had insect wings. 

Sure enough, I googled 'insects that look like hummingbirds'  and found out it was the

I have only ever seen one of those, always wanted to.  They are really cool

I have a hummingbird feeder and butterfly bushes on close proximity to my kitchen garden, so one can often find hummingbirds perched on the 5ft tomato plants (I'm not exaggerating, I measured them yesterday).  My wife named one Chester, he's there over half the time trying to guard "his" food supply.

I have _1_ cuke now.  it's about 3 inches long and very narrow, and also, is curved.  I had thought that since they were on a trellis, it would be straight, however, it *is* small.  it may only be a day old for all I can tell.  If this is what they're going to look like, I'm not sure I'm going to want to eat them.  :-)

Now, looking at it closely, I can see that it grew from the MIDDLE of the plant and the flower.  The flower is on one end, the plant the other.  A little different than tomatoes and peppers, where they grow OUT of the flower.

Also, the flower looks a little different from some of the others.  There are both male and female flowers, right?  And that's what the bees are for?

So, now what I know to look for, I'll have to check to see if there are more coming.

Jeff

Not sure if I've ever seen one or not.  Last year we had a lot of hummingbirds around, saw one every week or so.  This year, haven't seen any.  Now I'm starting to wonder if these were moths.

How big are they?

Jeff