2011 Gardening Thread (Read 1783 times)

Yes, it certainly does matter.  Never waste good beer on slugs.  Coors Light will do.  And I never bothered with yeast.  I just put the beer out and the slugs drowned in it.

You are wise. 

A can of Coors Light is much cheaper than some insecticide you would buy at a garden/hardware store, and probably tastes worse too. 

Especially when it gets warm.

Jeff

By the way, I have finally achieved ONE CUCUMBER.  Haven't cracked it open yet. 

And I have another one on the way.  Four friggin' plants, you would think they would start to produce, being, like, mid-end July...

Believe it or not, I don't like cucumbers.  I grew them becuse the rest of my family does.

The peppers...they're about one half the size of a marble at the moment.  Definately not producing like I remember before.

The japapenos though, they're doing good.  The hanabaros and bells...nuthin'

Jeff

Feeling the growl again

By the way, I have finally achieved ONE CUCUMBER.  Haven't cracked it open yet. 

We checked a week ago, just little finger-sized ones.  Then 2 nights ago we realized they'd exploded in this heat and 4 plants gave us about 18 nice sized cukes.  I've been eating a whole one with every lunch and dinner since. Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

We checked a week ago, just little finger-sized ones.  Then 2 nights ago we realized they'd exploded in this heat and 4 plants gave us about 18 nice sized cukes.  I've been eating a whole one with every lunch and dinner since. Big grin

That's a lot of cucumber!

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

I put the squash in late so I go nothing but potatoes.  I need to plant some more squash for a late crop, but first I need to dig up some spuds.  Most of the plants have pretty much shriveled up so I can dig as many as I want up.  There are a couple of rows of a late variety which I will leave for a few more weeks.

So, I hereby declare this weekend "Potato Weekend",  I will dig up many of the potatoes and I will brew some potato beer.  Tell me that doesn't sound like fun.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I have dumped 10 gallons of water on the pumpkin that "volunteered" in the front flower bed.  I still don't think it will make it, once this heat hit last weekend it just looks very, very sick.  Too bad, it had some nice pumpkins already coming on.  I'll hit it with another 5gal tonight.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

It's still early here.  Lettuce and peas are doing well.  Squash started last week.  Beans and cucumbers are still all blossom no fruit.  Peppers have fruit and a few cherry tomatoes.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Best Present Ever

It's still early here.  Lettuce and peas are doing well.  Squash started last week.  Beans and cucumbers are still all blossom no fruit.  Peppers have fruit and a few cherry tomatoes.

lettuce and peas!  in July!!

A Saucy Wench

lettuce and peas!  in July!!

This year was so cold and wet that the first peas didnt show up until the last week of June or the first week of July.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

I'll be interested to follow the outcome of the potatoe brew.

Done.

Not at it at all. 

Done.

Sorry to be so annoying about the potatoes (I asked you a bunch of potato questions back in April/May) but, how long after you plant can you harvest?  I recall before you said to check out Agway for some starters.  Never did that.  How much space do you need...I think this year I don't have the time/space, but next year, if I take down that darn "fort" that my kids used through their elementary school years, I'll have some more room.

Or, what's the growing season?  Say, September, when I pull out the tomatoes, can I get some potatoes going?

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

I just dug up the yukon golds today.  Yield was very good.  Check out this behemoth.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Jeff,

To answer your question, I haven't ever had much luck with planting potatoes late.  I have never intentionally did it, but it is inevitable that when I dig the potatoes up I miss a few.  Some sprout and come up August / September.  I never really get much from those plants.  Plus, I doubt that you can find seed potatoes this time of the year.  Your best bet is to wait until next year.  If you are in south Jersey you want to plant in late March.  I plant in early April.

Hope that helps.

Not at it at all. 

Jeff,

To answer your question, I haven't ever had much luck with planting potatoes late.  I have never intentionally did it, but it is inevitable that when I dig the potatoes up I miss a few.  Some sprout and come up August / September.  I never really get much from those plants.  Plus, I doubt that you can find seed potatoes this time of the year.  Your best bet is to wait until next year.  If you are in south Jersey you want to plant in late March.  I plant in early April.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I'm in South Jersey.  March, eh?  That means I have to get out and tend to the garden early.  So, there's no frost issue then?

I'm interested.  I've heard that fresh grown potatoes taste a lot better than ones you buy in the store.

I'll give the local Agway a call and see when they're available next year.

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

Yeah, I'm in South Jersey.  March, eh?  That means I have to get out and tend to the garden early.  So, there's no frost issue then?

I'm interested.  I've heard that fresh grown potatoes taste a lot better than ones you buy in the store.

I'll give the local Agway a call and see when they're available next year.

No frost issue.  The plants may burn a little but frost won't kill them.  No problem.

And yes, fresh potatoes are much better than store bought.  There is no comparison.

The local Agway will have the seed potatoes in when it is time to plant.  You should have no problem getting them at the right time.

Not at it at all.