Your body knows what it needs (Read 175 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Heard this again this weekend: "Your body knows what it needs"

I believe this refers to craving for drink, or salt, or sweet stuff, during a (long) race.

What say ye?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

My body thinks it needs 5 rest days per week and McDonald's and ice cream everyday, so no.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Village people

I don't know. I often crave something salty after a hard workout, but I normally gravitate towards salty snacks so it probably doesn't mean much. Each time I was pregnant, I felt like I needed eggs and some steak would have been nice. I wasn't the best vegetarian, so maybe I did need that extra bit of protein.

My body is an idiot.

Dave

delicate flower

My body is an idiot.

GOD DAMMIT THAT'S WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY! 

<3

Village people

GOD DAMMIT THAT'S WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY! 

You can both be idiots. Smile

catwhoorg

Labrat

My body will get what its given AND LIKE IT!

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

SillyC

Hilarious thread!

I tried listening to my body and doing whatever it wanted in a race.  It twice told me to run BACK to an aid station and down an entire bowl of gummy worms.  I listened the first time.  You can guess how that turned out.  I didn't do it the second time.

Joann Y

I'm skeptical but recently had an experience that made me think again. I'd been vegetarian for a little over a year. One night, out to dinner with the folks, I ordered a cheeseburger with no real reason other than I wanted one right then. My husband looked at me like I was crazy and I just sort of shrugged my shoulders. Later the next week, it sort of came up that I should get my hemoglobin checked as I had been feeling more and more exhausted, tired, out of breath going up stairs, etc. I thought I had maybe been overtraining. Hemoglobin came back low at around 10. Not super low but low enough. I don't know, but I take that as a sign that my body decided it wanted some iron. Doesn't explain how I could be so dumb and not recognize it sooner.

My body will get what its given AND LIKE IT!

Yep...even if what you give it is crap.

shu_runner

It does tend to fight me a lot.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hilarious thread!

I tried listening to my body and doing whatever it wanted in a race.  It twice told me to run BACK to an aid station and down an entire bowl of gummy worms.  I listened the first time.  You can guess how that turned out.  I didn't do it the second time.

I ran back to an aid station this weekend. Not very far, but I remember thinking, "boy is this stupid".

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

My body knows what it needs. It's my brain that appears to know crap!

JimR

<subjecttointerpretation>My body needs another body </subjecttointerpretation>

My body knows what it needs. It's my brain that appears to know crap!

^^^This!!

The mind tends toward addictions, habits, emotional cravings, and can fall for all kinds of beliefs about diet and nutrition whether true or not. The trick is to know the difference between what the body is telling you and the neurotic nonsense going on in the head!