Why Do Some Races Cost So Much (Read 2463 times)

So, turning the question around, what is a race worth to you? What is a 5k worth? What about a marathon? A race that you have focused your life towards for some six months ...
    Ideally, I like to keep the cost at $2/mile or less, if possible. Special races are worth making an exception, and I'd rather spend more money on a small local "homegrown" race than a huge corporate race. For example, Leadville wound up costing $2.15/mile this year, but that's still a good deal considering everything that goes into putting on a race that lasts that long. Trent's marathon is barely making ends meet at $60 a person and I'd be more than happy to pay that. I love to support the small race directors. I get more irritated with gigantic for-profit races that charge super high fees. For example, the Bolder Boulder 10k here where I live is a good case of the latter category. The race has 50,000 runners and the entry fee is $40 for a cotton t-shirt, $50 for a tech tee, and up to $85 for some other stuff (a pair or crocs, I think). The race brings in $10 million to our local economy every year, so I'd be willing to bet the city donates all or some of the police and traffic control. If everyone paid the $40, they would bring in $2,000,000 in revenue, before expenses. I'd love to see the balance sheet for that race, because I can't image closing 6.2 miles of roads and buying 50k cotton t-shirts could cost that much. They have enormous corporate sponsorship too... so I'd be willing to bet a good portion of the expenses (food, water, drinks, shirts, etc) are donated. They heavily recruit for aid station volunteers, so most of that labor is also free. - Chris Edit/PS: I can't fault the Bolder Boulder organizers for putting this race on and doing it for-profit... I fully support capitalism and the public is obviously willing to pay to run this race so more power to them. There's obviously a market for it. I just personally wouldn't pay to run this one again (I did it once).
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

It's hard for me to name an exact figure I'm willing to pay. A lot of the races are for charity, and I'm happy for my money to go towards it. I'm also willing to pay more for a tech shirt. I don't think the organizers in Maine are trying to rip anybody off.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you want a cheap race close to where you live, consider making your own.
        If time is money, this is about the most expensive way to go. Wink
        Carl A

If time is money, this is about the most expensive way to go. Wink
          I know what you mean. It does take a good bit of time, but at least it's cheaper for the runners. They still have to bear all the other costs--getting here, feeding themselves and their companions, finding a place to sleep. Racing, even without entry fees, is kinda expensive. Here's how we keep our monetary costs close to zero: - The course is on a rail trail, so there's no traffic control. - I pick up RR spikes on some of my training runs, and these become finisher's awards. - Except for water, we promise no course aid; runners must provide what they need themselves. (I'll have emergency soda, water, and salt in my vehicle.) - We're only letting 20 people enter (this year). - We have no insurance. Buying insurance a way of betting that something will go horribly wrong, I figure. We're thinking of offering T-shirts. Today I realized that if runners want to bring their own (tech or cotton) shirts, I could probably get my wife and kids to iron on computer-printed race decals while everyone's out running. (Thanks to DrewEOB for inspiring that idea!) I'm going to let that idea set for a day or two, though, to make sure it's practical, and to find out how much those iron-on decals cost. If it's not much, we'll do it. One of our other race directors even offered to pay for the shirts; he's a good guy and loves this sport even though he can't run anymore. All of this of course takes time to set up, but it's all for fun.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Young Gun

There was a marathon here on the Seacoast of NH a few months ago that cost something like $45 to enter.. or $65 to enter... I pay $65 to run in the Vermont 50.. why the hell would I pay that much to run 26.2? Some of the marathons and shorter races are just down right ridiculous. We put on a snowshoe marathon last month... entry was $45 for a few months before it raised to $65. For finishing you got a framing hammer, we offered FREE SNOWSHOE RENTALS.. AND... you got a ticket to the Lobster and Shrimp feast post race. Some people try to "justify" why a race is so expensive.. there really is no need for it in mho.

www.HumanPotentialRunning.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

why the hell would I pay that much to run 26.2?...Some people try to "justify" why a race is so expensive.. there really is no need for it in mho.
              ouch. Is there need for that tone? Vermont 50 is a fundraiser that has loads of sponsors. You pay $65 because Harpoon brewery and many others give money to support the race. Why should they pay for you to run?

Imminent Catastrophe

Hitchcock Woods 50k last year, good support, good food during and after (hot pizza). $10! No shirt included, that was extra. I don't know how she (RD) did it.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Lazy idiot

We're thinking of offering T-shirts. Today I realized that if runners want to bring their own (tech or cotton) shirts, I could probably get my wife and kids to iron on computer-printed race decals while everyone's out running. (Thanks to DrewEOB for inspiring that idea!) I'm going to let that idea set for a day or two, though, to make sure it's practical, and to find out how much those iron-on decals cost. If it's not much, we'll do it.
                  Dude! I didn't realize that's what you were doing. I was thinking you were making one shirt for yourself. If you're thinking about doing this as an RD... wow!!!

Tick tock

Carl A

Thanks, Drew. I originally was thinking about making a different shirt for me (OK, I'll admit it, a Beard Runner shirt), but a day or two after your post one of our VTU entrants spontaneously submitted some cool T-shirt graphics that we could use for our race, so your idea is helping us figure out a way to use the artwork. Thanks again!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

By the way, did anyone notice that the ING New York Marathon went up to $125.00? I promised some friends I'd join them for it, otherwise I would have said forgetabout it--that is too much for one race!
                      I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

$125.00
                        More than that. from Marathonguide.com: New York City Marathon Opens 2008 Registration and Lottery - Holy Cow: $166* USA Fee; $221* International Fee *including lottery "processing fee" Registration open from 2/25 to 5/1 for guaranteed and international participants and through 6/1 for general lottery participants - plus, our annual pet peeve moment... Acceptance into the ING New York City Marathon is one of the most difficult annual feats for runners. Each year, runners can gain guaranteed entry to the November marathon through one of four methods: 1) NYRR members may finish nine NYRR races throughout the year to achieve a guaranteed slot, 2) any runner may best certain qualifying standards (age-dependent), 3) foreign registrants may register through an official foreign travel partner (agency), or 4) runners may participate through certain designated charities. For the rest of the world, registration is by lottery registration by June 1st with the results announced in mid-June. By certain estimates, approximately 50,000 lottery participants will likely be turned away. Almost like the annual ceremony of watching the Super Bowl or the Oscars, the running industry watches the pricing of the NYC Marathon to see where running futures might be headed... The fees for 2008 represent an across-the-board increase of $25 in fees from the 2007 registration - although the 2008 fees include bus travel to start, something that the marathon charged $20 for in past years. We will, as we do annually, continue to remark on our pet peeve of the charge of a $11 ($10 in 2007 and $7 in 2006 and prior) processing fee to enter the New York City Marathon lottery, which is unprecedented in the industry - especially when assessed against those who are not selected. As we'll always note, that's approximately half a million dollars from runners who are denied entry to the race - that's something we've still never seen in other USA running events and is equivalent to the entire runner registration budget for many races.

The Greatest of All Time

The prices of some races have gone up disproportionally to simply account for inflation. The Chicago Marathon is now about 3X what it was 10 years ago. I think dropping $100 for a race is pretty tall coin. Around here though, most 5 and 10k's are $25-$30. The HM I am going in Springfield April 5 was only $30 and it's very well supported. I think the crappy marathon I am doing in Rockford of all places is $75. I can't remember exactly what I paid to do Ironman Florida in 1999, but I think it was at least $200 and could have been closer to $300. For a race like that, I can see paying more. If you don't want to pony up the $, you can always bandit.
                          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The prices of some races have gone up disproportionally to simply account for inflation. The Chicago Marathon is now about 3X what it was 10 years ago.
                            Do you think races 10 years ago were underpriced? Again, what are you willing to pay for a race you have trained 6 months or more to run? My wife and I could go out for a dinner at a regular restaurant and by time we have paid for dinner, movie and a babysitter, it comes to about the same as a big city marathon. It also takes me about the same amount of time, and the date doesn't even come with a tee shirt.
                              All I know is my stimulus check is making expensive races more appealing Big grin Hoping the check stimulates others to go out running.

Vim

It also takes me about the same amount of time, and the date doesn't even come with a tee shirt.
                                You should suggest your wife come up with themed dates that include t-shirts or at least an embroidered hat.

Vim