Why Do Some Races Cost So Much (Read 2463 times)

JakeKnight

The prices of some races have gone up disproportionally to simply account for inflation. The Chicago Marathon is now about 3X what it was 10 years ago. I think dropping $100 for a race is pretty tall coin. Around here though, most 5 and 10k's are $25-$30. The HM I am going in Springfield April 5 was only $30 and it's very well supported. I think the crappy marathon I am doing in Rockford of all places is $75.
    Agreed. Although I think in a lot of cases, its actually the 5Ks that are the bigger rip-off. I'll bet the profit margins are huge compared to marathons. An urban marathon does have some hidden costs. An out and back 5k in a mall parking lot? Not so much. I tell myself its for charity (when it is) ... but I'd much rather just write a check to the charity. And is it really too much to ask that they either a) skip the t-shirt altogether or b) give me a choice on paying for the shirt or c) if all else fails, grab any random runner and ask them what kind of shirts they like? Is it really too frickin' much to expect a shirt I can either wear ... or train in? Grumble. Sorry. Pet peeve.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

The Greatest of All Time

Do you think races 10 years ago were underpriced? Again, what are you willing to pay for a race you have trained 6 months or more to run? My wife and I could go out for a dinner at a regular restaurant and by time we have paid for dinner, movie and a babysitter, it comes to about the same as a big city marathon. It also takes me about the same amount of time, and the date doesn't even come with a tee shirt.
      I don't know Trent. I don't have to race. I know they have costs. I am more pissed that it cost me $45 this morning to fill up my Accord with fuel. That's whack!
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I don't know Trent. I don't have to race. I know they have costs. I am more pissed that it cost me $45 this morning to fill up my Accord with fuel. That's whack!
        Totally. And that is an Accord. Try to fill up the Sienna required for the 3 kiddos. Shocked Dinner, movie and babysitting don't necessarily have more hidden costs than a marathon. And at least with a marathon I am guaranteed to sweat. Of course, the postrace food may suck.

The Greatest of All Time

Totally. And that is an Accord. Try to fill up the Sienna required for the 3 kiddos. Shocked Dinner, movie and babysitting don't necessarily have more hidden costs than a marathon. And at least with a marathon I am guaranteed to sweat. Of course, the postrace food may suck.
          What do babysitters charge these days? An evening movie up here will run $20 for two with no popcorn. Dinner eh, maybe $100 tops (if I let DW drink wine). So, yeah you're right. It's more than a race and no T-shirt. But, I will likely get some after dinner and a movie whereas after a race that cost $100 I would likely be too tired to take it if offered. Yes
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

See, that is the difference. After kids, dates change. They cost more (i.e., babysitting) and earn you less (i.e., go home and crash asleep). Babysitting can be over $10 an hour. Nice Dinner - $40+ Movie - $20+ Babysitting - $50+ No shirt. No medal. And possibly no sweating.
              And possibly no sweating.
              Man... if you spend that kind of scratch, I'd hope you'd get some sweating out of the deal Big grin And yeah... I put $36 in a freaking Honda Civic on Monday. Finally had to ditch the full size truck... it was over $100 to fill that beast.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A Free Marathon
                If you want a free marathon or better, you could always find or start a Fat Ass - No Fees, No Awards, No Wimps.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

wbertha

What's the most expensive marathon or half marathon that you have ever done or considered doing??? wbertha
                    If you count the travel to Ireland, the Dublin marathon was pretty pricey. But, it was a vacation, too. Nice swag: long sleeve tech shirt, medal, goody bag & a fun run for international runners, which also had a short sleeve tech shirt & featured Irish music and dancing. Boston will be pretty pricey, too, w/ travel/lodging.

What's the most expensive marathon or half marathon that you have ever done or considered doing???
                      I've run NYC once and Boston a couple of times, both in the $90-$110 range when I ran them.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Big grinI am doing the Great Wall Half in May- without airfare a 9 day trip will cost about $ 4,000. for hubby and I. Add on food, daytrips and shopping and I'm sure it'll end up adding another $1500.00. Thank goodness we have points for the flight. This is a race that you have to do as a tour-you can't sign up on your own. Kathy
                          Big grinI am doing the Great Wall Half in May- without airfare a 9 day trip will cost about $ 4,000. for hubby and I. Add on food, daytrips and shopping and I'm sure it'll end up adding another $1500.00. Thank goodness we have points for the flight. This is a race that you have to do as a tour-you can't sign up on your own. Kathy
                          Another way of looking at this question is: what's a race worth? I'd say, running the Great Wall is worth it. But, I'm glad you have the flight points, too.
                          milkbaby

Yeah, but I bet you get a lot farther than 26.2 miles on a full tank... Smile Thinking about it, if you travel to races, the travel is a lot more expensive than the race fee itself. Heck, I'm not sure any hotel room is really worth more than $200 a night unless it came with complimentary all you can eat beluga caviar. I want to run the Maui marathon, but the main problem is the travelling expense...
                            "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Another way of looking at this question is: what's a race worth?
                              Excellent question! Which is why I asked it on page 1 Wink -
                              So, turning the question around, what is a race worth to you? What is a 5k worth? What about a marathon? A race that you have focused your life towards for some six months ...
                              So, the point is, if you have spent so much time and energy on the race, why would you not be willing to shell out big bucks? If you are spending hundreds on the incident hotel, why would you not be willing to spend as much on the goal event?