C25K Done - What next? (Read 842 times)

weelittleme

Hi I'm a new runner. I will be completing the C25K program this weekend. I followed it pretty much to the letter using distance instead of time for weeks 7 and 8 and now back to time for week 9. I'm feeling good. Lost a bit of weight during the C25K and still need to lose more. I find running motivating and it makes me feel good. I'm slow (somewhere around 8:00 min per kilometer for a 4K run). Now I'm wondering what in the world to do next. I need to lose some fat for sure and running hasn't been super great for that so far. I've toyed with the idea of trying the one hour runner but on the other hand I'm thinking about just continuing with 30 min 3 times a week while I do something else like weight training and other cross training to trying and drop weight. Don't want to get hurt. Any advice on where to turn next for a chubby 30 something runner that's fallen in love with running and wants to forge a more permanent relationship with it. Due to circumstances I only really have the next 15 weeks to run much and then I will need to scale back appropriately since I will switch to a job that requires me to walk around in the woods on rough terrain for about 8 hours a day 6 to 7 days a week. I'm worried that I'll need to stop running then since recovery is very difficult under those conditions. There is a lot of hill work involved in the hiking I need to do every day. I'll be in the woods for about 5 months and then hope to get right back on board with running. I'd also love to not totally lose all of my running conditioning... any thoughts on how to deal with that? I know that is probably a weird question/situation but I just hoped to collect some thoughts on what you all think.
    Lane

There is a program called "one hour runner" that picks up where C25K leaves off. It will get you up to running an hour at a time. Congratulations, and good luck!
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

One Hour Runner does start with 3 weeks of 30 minute runs. Even if you are just thinking about it and doing 30 minute runs, you might join us in the C25K/OHR Group. The group is really supportive and helpful. C25K/OHR Group Congrats on finishing! Big grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Speediest Slug There Is!

Hi weelittleme! It's olivesmarch4th from Cool Runnings! (we're in the same C25K class together.) I'm doing the Hal Hidgon Spring Training next. Because, as it stands, I'm already running for nearly an hour just doing the 5K. This is because I'm slow, so I've decided to focus on distance rather than time. After the C25K on the 4th of July I'm going to drastically restructure my runs, go for shorter, faster runs several times a week with one or two long-distance runs on the weekends. That's supposed to help you build up base miles. For losing weight, I'm told it's not running that does it, but running combined with eating properly. I don't know how you've been eating, but nutrition is a major component to weight loss. I have had to completely change my eating habits-- for the last 2 months I've been consuming mostly fruits and vegetables with no more than 2 or 3 oz of meat per meal (and not with every meal.) Also I am on a diet high in fiber. It sounds unfun, but I'm actually having a blast discovering new foods and learning to cook more naturally. I'm not on a diet, I'm trying to change my eating habits for the rest of my life. I am much happier and healthier this way and I wouldn't go back to eating the junk I used to for anything in the world. My body knows what it needs. I am really trying to lose weight also but it's been slow going (then again, I've been keeping track for only 3 weeks... roughly 4 lbs lighter now.) Sometimes when I get discouraged I just focus on the experience of running. I imagine eventually my body is just going to get into shape. Maybe 2 years from now, maybe 6 months, I dunno... but eventually. I know my cardiovascular health has improved from running, and my body is more efficient. This gives me hope.
          Fall seven times, stand up eight.
          Goals:
          *Complete a 5K (no walking)
          Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
          *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
          *15 mpw base

Queen of 3rd Place

Welcome weelittleme, and congratulations on doing so well with C25K! Racingslug is right, you need to modify your diet to lose weight. 5K of running only burns about 100 cal, and you need a 3600 cal deficit just to lose one pound! It's hard to do, because running also makes you hungry - I've heard of plenty of folks who have actually gained weight when they started running, because they weren't aware that they had to also really watch their diet. You're already hooked, but if you *really* want to be hopelessly hooked, sign up for a community fun run! There are bound to be some 5K runs in your area during the next few months. I've always had a blast at such events! You should be in pretty good shape after all that hiking, except it's not exactly the same kind of stress as running, if it was me I would ease back in, but ramp up a little more quickly than the last time. Arla

Ex runner

Everyone in here gives such good advice. My advice to you and to the running slug too for that matter, is first and foremost...DONT WORRY ABOUT HOW FAST OR SLOW YOU ARE Cool (At your stage of training how fast you run is the least important aspect of the game).....its very common when starting out to compare yourself to others and become disappointed and discouraged with what you are doing or the progress you may or (sometimes seem NOT) be making. If you notice Hal Higdon and everyone else will tell you to run slow and build your mileage at first without regard to speed. Trying to run fast too soon will only get you hurt and watching from the sidelines thinking that everyone is better then you are...(which is just not true).... In fact the last time I read a Hal Higdon book on Marathoning he said not to worry about speed and just run easy until you have finished your second marathon. I am not familiar with the one hour program you mentioned or the c25k program either....but I think you should run slow and run long and focus on loosing weight (proper diet).....if you are carrying too many LBS, you wont believe what loosing 15 or 20 will do for your ability to run.... Most of all BE CAREFUL because the last thing you want to do is to get hurt (its is so depressing to not be abe to go out for a month becasue your shins or heel or something else is hurting)...and running too fast to early in your training is almost a virutal guarantee that you will end up on the side lines.... (take it from a guy that had very bad training when starting out, and has probably had every possible running injury know to modern science). Find a nice flat easy 5K race and go run in it (preferable with about 200 to 300 runners).........just do your distance (at a nice slow pace Big grin) and enjoy talking to other runners. This will show you how good you can be if you keep at it (as a point of perspective only)...but they will all be really helpful and interesting to talk to .... also, they will all be impressed that you are running and have just completed your first race (even the guys/gals that have run marathons will be impressed that you are out there).. Runners are a very supportive group..... Alway remember that you are only competing with yourself......and you are trying to make yourself better....thats It...thats what running all about.....self improvement..... Did I mention - to not worry about speed and running fast at this stage of the game Smile......

Champions are made when no one is watching

colinw

Racingslug is right, you need to modify your diet to lose weight. 5K of running only burns about 100 cal, and you need a 3600 cal deficit just to lose one pound! It's hard to do, because running also makes you hungry - I've heard of plenty of folks who have actually gained weight when they started running, because they weren't aware that they had to also really watch their diet.
                I understand the requirement to adjust diet in addition to exercise for weight loss, but I don't think running 5k only burns 100 calories. The numbers provided on the running log here and with many other activity based calculators who much more than that. I know after I have run 5k or longer I feel like I have burned off way more than 100 calories!

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

Queen of 3rd Place

You're right - my bad - more like 300. The figures I have seen say roughly 100 per MILE (depending on your size) Big grin Arla

Ex runner

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Have you given any thought to running trails Confused

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Thank you guys for all the advice. I'm working on my diet and making good progress there I think. The day after a run I have learned it is essential that I watch portion sizes and eat frequently because I'm starving but I'm focusing on getting about 1800 Cal a day. I wish there were some 5Ks around here. Unfortunately, I can't find any Sad I am in a small city in New Zealand and 5k races don't seem to be as common here. There are marathons and duathalons all over the place but no little runs. Oh well. I'm doing a virtual 5K run next weekend. I know it won't be the same not getting to meet the other runners but it is motivating to share the run with others online anyway. Re: the trail running... Do you mean while I'm working in the field? There are definitely trails for me to run but normally when I'm on them I'm carrying equipment and a large backpack so no running at that time. I have access to a large beach to run on and so I could do that every now and again as long as I watch for overtraining since I will need to walk long and hard almost everyday so I'm worried about recovery if I run. Hmmmm I guess all I can do is try to listen to my body. I'm wondering if running some intervals would help keep the cardio up but allow fairly good recovery compared to longer runs. Any thoughts on that. Hi Olives!!! nice to see you over here!
                      The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                      • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                      • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                      • Complete a 10K fun run
                      dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Our "Podrunner: Intervals" series has a "Gateway to 8K" series that was designed for us by Coach Jenny Hadfield expressly to follow on the heels of our "First Day to 5K" series (which is analagous to the "Couch to 5K" series). You could give that a shot. It's at http://www.djsteveboy.com/gw28k.html. They're all free.
                        Steve Boyett
                        Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
                        Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
                          you haven't been running long enough or are in good enough shape for intervals......stick to easy runs of what ever you have time for..........it will work a lot better for you............dont even think about working intervals or speed work until you have averaged at least 20 miles per week for at least 6 months........i keep saying it.....the only thing speed work will do foryou is get you hurt..I am walking talking proof of that.......you're just not ready yet...and its just not worth it...besides, easy and longer runs are a lot more fun to begin with......run a nice easy 1 to 2 miles down that nice beach you mentioned..............

Thanks for the tip on the podrunner... I'll check it out John A, point well taken on the intervals. I think maybe I wasn't clear. I was just hoping to find some form of running I might be able to do a couple times a week to maintain some cardio. I wouldn't do high intensity intervals or sprints. I'm talking about 20 or 30 minutes of running 2 or 3 min and then walking for a minute, something like that. I won't have time for long runs and I'm worried that running 5K in the evening after a full day of work in the woods will break me down too much and kill my legs. This wouldn't really be for speed, just for not losing too much of what I've achieved. I seem to remember hearing that running with walk breaks is easier/faster to recover from than running straight up. I think this is a Galloway perspective and not sure if that is a taboo subject on these forums or not. As you can tell I have no experience with anything other than the C25K so far. I hear ya though and I guess I can try out the 20 min here and there on the beach and if it is killing me I'll give it a miss.
                            The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                            • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                            • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                            • Complete a 10K fun run
                            dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Sorry, but advising you not to run intervals as a blanket warning is kind of silly -- the guy just finished C25K, which is an interval program for beginners. As are our First Day to 5K and Gateway to 8K programs. I get the feeling you have a more narrow definition of "interval".
                              Steve Boyett
                              Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
                              Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
                                This was a point well taken from both of you.... Intervals to me means the track and a coach with a stop watch or something equally as gruesome and un-fun that is designed to create speed. You really need to be in shape and seasoned for that type of training. When you define interval like you did, it would probably be a very good strategy for you to maintian running in the midst of your other adventures....... Walking in the middle of a run or during runs is a strategy that many peope use. This past weeknd I used it on a 5 mile run where I ran 8 mins and walked 2 mins....to start building a one day mileage day......... 3 mins runnng and 2 walking or what ever feels comofrtable to you would probably be a very good thing....you dont have to maintian 20 minutes straight or what ever........I didnt completely understand what you meant be interval. Based on your description, it sound to me like you have a very good plan....sorry for the confusion, but I have spent so much time hurt that I really want to help other people avoid injury Shocked......