Hydration Question (Read 473 times)

Ojo

I just want to make sure that I am hydrating properly on my long runs. Today I ran 22 miles and had 8 oz of water before I left and then 32 oz along the way -- 24 oz Ultima and 8 oz water. My concern is that the last marathon I ran, I started cramping at mile 14. I had stupidly drunk more water than I usually do (I am not normally a huge water drinker as I have a horrible addiction to Diet Coke) and I thought that might have been the problem since I drank 32 oz of water the day before and I normally would not. I just don't want to have any issues with my next marathon, which is 5/4. In general, I feel great after a long run -- happy and minor tiredness in my legs. Any thoughts? Also, I know I should stop drinking Diet Coke and I will soon but I am not ready yet! Blush

Sara

MM #2929

mommyontherun

Sorry, I am not much help with the hydration question. I just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat. I love my diet coke too!!!!!! My first HM is next weekend and I am trying to give up the diet coke and drink more water this week. I am not sure if I can make it. Good luck to you in your race!
        I've been reading a great book by Jeff Galloway and his theory on drinking while running is to drink until you can feel the water swishing around in your tummy, and then stop. Personally, I drink HEAPS of water regardless of weather and always make sure that if I'm doing a long run in the morning that I drink a fair bit before bed and if I wake during the night. The last thing I want is to be dehydrated. Is it possible that during the marathon when you cramped you were already dehydrated, even though you'd had a heap of water? I think the theory is that by the time you realise you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated. Dunno, but just a thought.