I'm jealous - my 15 y/o will be faster than me! (Read 1081 times)

well i tried to warn him. someday chicks will dig scrawny guys w/ chicken legs. someday Cry
    I forgot about this comment Joe! It's too late, he was born with chicken legs so he might as well be a runner and show them off! I'm rather proud of Anthony, he's been in NY at my parent's campground since Sunday night and looking at his running log I can see that he ran yesterday...and I didn't even have to suggest it, he was self-motivated!

Michelle

farandfast

Jackalope

*accessing crazy psychic powers* I'm going to predict 18:45 for his 5k this year. If he's running during summer he's probably doing better than a lot of his teammates-to-be. Or at least he'd be doing better than my teammates Angry Just keep him away from dyestat/letrun and he'll be safe (half-joking)

"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true fearlessness." -Laozi

I would have to totally agree that the 'little-uns' can definately 'bring it on'. My son is 8 (9 in 2 months) and he LOVES to run. He actually comes to military PT sessions with me and can outrun many of the Airmen that are active duty. He ran the Lompoc Relay for Life and RAN for the entire hour, he clocked in right around 5 miles total. If you count the hour that he was on the track prior to his official hour, he got in well over 7 miles that night. To me that's pretty impressive. He and I met up with DimMak and his son (same age) for a local 5K at which both boys did quite well. Of course both DimMak and I ran with our boys, so our times were their times. We all came in around 32-33 or so. For one that young, I'm impressed, and did I mention HE LOVES IT. He is actually running in the mornings now with a friend of his. I swear, the boy runs more than I do and I'm active duty. But at 34 I tend to hurt more than he does Undecided
          *accessing crazy psychic powers* I'm going to predict 18:45 for his 5k this year. If he's running during summer he's probably doing better than a lot of his teammates-to-be. Or at least he'd be doing better than my teammates Angry Just keep him away from dyestat/letrun and he'll be safe (half-joking)
          If/when he gets to running times like 18:45 I will be so far behind him, I'm not sure how I feel about that!! Just kidding, I hope he does that well, it would be great to see. Right now though he seems to be too distracted and isn't putting in the mileage he said he would but I blame his grandparents for that...they have him working a lot of hours at their NY campground while he's there for a couple of weeks. When he comes back he'll be running with the Spring-Ford XC team for the optional runs, that will help.

Michelle

I would have to totally agree that the 'little-uns' can definately 'bring it on'. My son is 8 (9 in 2 months) and he LOVES to run. He actually comes to military PT sessions with me and can outrun many of the Airmen that are active duty. He ran the Lompoc Relay for Life and RAN for the entire hour, he clocked in right around 5 miles total. If you count the hour that he was on the track prior to his official hour, he got in well over 7 miles that night. To me that's pretty impressive. He and I met up with DimMak and his son (same age) for a local 5K at which both boys did quite well. Of course both DimMak and I ran with our boys, so our times were their times. We all came in around 32-33 or so. For one that young, I'm impressed, and did I mention HE LOVES IT. He is actually running in the mornings now with a friend of his. I swear, the boy runs more than I do and I'm active duty. But at 34 I tend to hurt more than he does Undecided
            Sounds like you have a runner! At that age you wonder what goes through their head with regard to running. I was 10 when someone told me that I was fast and it was then I started liking it. Having a parent as influence makes a big difference since as a runner you can relate to it all. And you have to figure that with being so young, even if he loses interest for a while, it sounds like he has a natural talent and when the interest grabs him in the future, he'll jump right in and do great! Just don't take it personally when he does better than you Roll eyes ! This is something that I'm working on. Big grin

Michelle