Ran my first 50 miler! (Read 188 times)

gokuflip

It wasn't something I ever saw myself doing and it was challenging but I did it! This was a race with a 29 hour time limit so I knew I would finish and I'm happy I did.

I even ran with my Gopro so I could document the whole experience. Check it out if interested.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhAlIKatzAY

running metalhead

Kudos mate!!!
      What was your time?
      I was going to write that teh terrain looked familiar, well it did, until he gators, we don't have these fellows here in Holland XD

Also quite amazing to be able to put a face after a nickname, nice stuff.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Half Fanatic #846

Nice video!  As someone who has never done an ultra (or even a marathon), but has thought about doing one, that was very interesting - thanks!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

gokuflip

Thanks y'all it was in Texas. My time was 13 hours 38 minutes.

bpangie

Nice job. Sweet video. And rockin' shoes. Digging it.

phred_qz

Rock on and congrats!!!  Thats a tough distance Smile  Well run!!   While it's fresh, what are your top lessons learned?! I'm taking a 2nd try at finishing 50 next weekend.... Happy recovery and enjoy the finishers endorphins!!

50 Miles - done

41.6 Miles - done

26.2 Miles - done

...now it's time to get faster. 

gokuflip

Hey thanks phred_qz! I ran part of this race with my gf and I knew she was better trained than me and despite that I tried to keep up with her for the first 13.1 miles. That killed me and I suffered for the rest of that loop, so definitely go at your own pace. I'd probably invest in some sort of camel back as they ran out of water for about 10 miles and I was really suffering because of it. For my next 50 I will implement the Galloway method which I did during the 2nd loop with my friends Tara and Dawn. It was difficult at first but once my body got used to it i was good to go for miles and miles. I'd also probably bring a few drop boxes so that there would be some kind of treat for you to look forward to at those spots. Other than all that I'd definitely train a lot more so I could bring down my time. Hope that helps.

Congratulations! Cool video

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congratulations

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

gokuflip

Kudos mate!!!
                      What was your time?
                      I was going to write that teh terrain looked familiar, well it did, until he gators, we don't have these fellows here in Holland XD

Also quite amazing to be able to put a face after a nickname, nice stuff.

Thanks! It was 13:38 and some change.