Shoe and hydration belt questions. (Read 1058 times)

The young Mama Bear!

1) My shoes are only about 2 months old and I really don't do high mileage but my left shoe's cushioning seems flat now. I know...300 miles, yadda yadda, but how do you know if your shoes are really done? I don't want to get knee problems because of it, you know? 2) My hydration belt, the Fuelbelt Helium 4, was fine...and now the velcro keeps coming undone. It's not frazzled or worn out, and now all of the bottles bounce. It's annoying. I don't know if I should size down or not. Any suggestions as to hydration belts? 3) Again with the shoes...I have a sort of odd gait and I wear the Kayano 14s. I was told that because I have flat feet, I needed a motion control shoe but I know that's BS. I don't overpronate that much, and I don't rely on the inside of my foot when I'm in transition...at all. My left foot seems neutral while my right foot overpronates mildly. I'm looking at what I might be able to buy next time around, and I'm torn: do I buy a stability shoe based on my right foot, or a more cushioned shoe based on my left? Any suggestions? 4) I plan on doing a half eventually. I'm a newbie and so when exactly would you use gel packs? Thanks!
    Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
      1) Sometimes folks only get a couple hundred miles out of shoes, some people can run 7 or 800 in them. Personally, I toss mine out in the garage for lawn mowing duty when they are too damaged for running or when I start to develop a twinge around my knees. Of course, this doesn't work so well for people with existing knee problems. Another thing to try is to go ahead and get a new pair and rotate them until the old pair just seems to far gone. 2) I've tried lots of different hydration "systems" and find almost any sort of belt very annoying. My advice get a hand held water bottle with a strap. Mine also has a pocket. I resisted initially, but now I don't know what I'd do without it. 3) No idea. Maybe try a different pair of shoes next time and see how they work. A lot of people get really hung up on their shoes, when it is not the shoes at all. It is our newbie runner muscles adapting to this thing we call running. I spent a lot of years sitting on the couch or computer chair getting my muscles in prime couch potato shape. It took several hundreds of miles before those newbie aches and pains went away. 4) Leave the gels for if/when you train for a marathon. You don't need them.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

The young Mama Bear!

4) Leave the gels for if/when you train for a marathon. You don't need them.
        Oh, I know that with my mileage now I shouldn't even be thinking about them. I do plan on extending my mileage over time, and wondered how far I can go before needing them. Thanks for the help! Smile
        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
          Oh, I know that with my mileage now I shouldn't even be thinking about them. I do plan on extending my mileage over time, and wondered how far I can go before needing them. Thanks for the help! Smile
          Sorry, it seemed like you were asking about them in relation to training for a half. I normally don't use them except for long runs (i.e 18-20+).

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Sorry, it seemed like you were asking about them in relation to training for a half. I normally don't use them except for long runs (i.e 18-20+).
            Gels are a personal choice, but if, as he read it, you are shooting for a half the common answer is you don't need one. I didn't use gels for my half and barely used any sports drink (<10 oz, only drunk is sips between 60-120 minutes into a run). as you build to the longer runs, gels may make sense, but i'm no expert so i'll trust the 18-20 mile plus rule of thumb. oz,="" only="" drunk="" is="" sips="" between="" 60-120="" minutes="" into="" a="" run).="" as="" you="" build="" to="" the="" longer="" runs,="" gels="" may="" make="" sense,="" but="" i'm="" no="" expert="" so="" i'll="" trust="" the="" 18-20="" mile="" plus="" rule="" of="" thumb.=""></10 oz, only drunk is sips between 60-120 minutes into a run). as you build to the longer runs, gels may make sense, but i'm no expert so i'll trust the 18-20 mile plus rule of thumb. >

Chris
            PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Shoes - 300-500 miles, I believe, is the average. What that says to me is some people get that, some more, some less. This can be for any number of factors. Your weight can factor into it. If you are what is considered a "heavy runner" - odds are you're going to be on the low end of that average. Generally, if you qualify to run the race as a Filly - you are what is considered a "heavy" runner. The weight isn't standardized for what is considered heavy for women - but anything over 150lbs is usually a pretty safe bet. I start phasing my shoes out when I notice it is taking me longer to recover from a certain distance run that I have been running for awhile. If I'm lucky, I'll get about 200 miles out of a pair of running shoes. For your next running shoes - try different brands. FWIW, the shoe you mentioned is considered a stability shoe, not a motion control shoe. I have had no luck with Asics, but that is just me. You might try New Balance, Brooks or Saucony in a stability shoe as well, and of course the other brands that are out there. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Gels - if you eat a good breakfast before you race, you shouldn't need them for anything under a marathon, except maybe for the psychological impact of it. I've run 20Ks and half marathons and never "needed" the gels as long as I've eaten well before hand. Fuel belts - only one I have ever had any luck with is the amphipod fuel belt. If you go with something hand held, I would definitely recommend something with a strap.
                I would think whether or not you need the gels also depends on your speed. I've got a hand out from a nutritionist that says you need 100-250 calories every hour or so (during running, you burn much more-600 I think is the average). I don't know about you, but my half takes a lot longer than an hour. Now, maybe I don't "need" the GU after the first hour, but I do feel that it helped. On a training run the other day, I had one after one hour of running and felt great. Maybe I would have felt great without it, but maybe not. The GU packets recommend every 45 minutes, but hey, they're trying to sell more GU, right? Smile MTA: clarity

http://www.runningnotes.net

JakeKnight

Run your own race, fuel your own race. When it comes to nutrition ... practice. Experiment. See what works for you. Constantly refine it. If some people can run a half (or a full) with nothing, fine. (Although they're foolish not to experiment and see if they couldn't run better.) If you like 10 Gu's in a marathon, fine, if that's what works for you. The only bad thing about taking that many Gu's is that sometimes they're hard to find in the middle of a race. It can be panic inducing to discover promised Gu's aren't where they're supposed to be. (Unless you're carrying your own. If you figure out how to carry 10 of them, let me know.) And there are in fact good runners who eat so many of those things in a marathon that I could hurl just thinking about it. Whatever floats their boat. It's all pretty individual. You don't know what I need, I don't know what you need. All I know is what the research suggests and what works for me. Whether it works for you or not is up to you to find out. (For the record, I find that - for me - the directions on the Gu packets are pretty close. I take one an hour or so, which means one in the middle of a half marathon).

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Non ducor, duco.

I have tried all hydration for long runs. I used to run where I could get a drink for a fountain so I could avoid running with annoying belts and the like. Since Hurricane Ike hit, my usual parks are closed. Now I stick a water bottle in my bra in the back. When I drink it all I crunch it up and stick it in the back of my shorts until I can toss it in the trash. It is a lot of fun to see the expressions on people's faces when they see me pull something out of my bra or shorts....just an added bonus that can help lift your mood on long runs.
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It is a lot of fun to see the expressions on people's faces when they see me pull something out of my bra or shorts....just an added bonus that can help lift your mood on long runs.
                      Now see there, that's the problem with most runners -- very few are willing to put in the extra effort to entertain the world around them like Andreia -- bravo for her, but shame for the rest of you.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TJoseph

Now see there, that's the problem with most runners -- very few are willing to put in the extra effort to entertain the world around them like Andreia -- bravo for her, but shame for the rest of you.
                        You would probably get arrested if you tried to pull something out of your shorts.

The young Mama Bear!

Shoes - 300-500 miles, I believe, is the average. What that says to me is some people get that, some more, some less. This can be for any number of factors. Your weight can factor into it. If you are what is considered a "heavy runner" - odds are you're going to be on the low end of that average. Generally, if you qualify to run the race as a Filly - you are what is considered a "heavy" runner. The weight isn't standardized for what is considered heavy for women - but anything over 150lbs is usually a pretty safe bet. I start phasing my shoes out when I notice it is taking me longer to recover from a certain distance run that I have been running for awhile. If I'm lucky, I'll get about 200 miles out of a pair of running shoes.
                          Oh, I know my shoe is a stability shoe...and I definitely am a "heavy" runner. I'm 30 pounds away from being on the high end of such a statement, but I'll get there. I actually am generally neutral/supinate a tad but since I'm "heavy" I got stuck in the stability category. I honestly don't think my shoes will make it to 300 miles, but we'll see. Thanks for the help! To clear things up, I'm a newbie and don't run especially long distances, and I'm not worried about fuel right now...I just tend to worry about things in advance. It's my nature. If I ever run a marathon, I will look into them. Thanks! And andahuff, LOL. I used to keep my MP3 in my bra before I got my armband, and the looks I got just by pulling it out of my bra...haha.

Best Present Ever

You would probably get arrested if you tried to pull something out of your shorts.
                            or maybe folks would just think you were an olympic gold medalist.
                              I eat a gel if I'm going to be running for an hour and a half or more. I eat it at the 45 minute mark and I can definitely tell a difference in my energy level for the rest of the run. I'm very slow, so my hour and a half is a LOT fewer miles than what everybody here is saying, but hey.
                              Ganges Lim

my place is right smack of the equator so i always run with some sort of hydration, I either pack a twin bottle nathan belt if I plan to do return trips or have my adidas belt if I intend to take a bus back. One of my favourite route is a X-country route which takes me through a primary rainforest and I had to run it with trail shoes. Now these shoes are tanks but rather heavy and they don't wear out as fast as normal runners. You have to see what surface you run on. If I take my runners and bring them to asphalt 3 times a week they will wear out soon. Track and concrete preserves your soles better. But concrete is bad for knees.