Running with dodgy knees (Read 472 times)

mashup

At the beginning of the summer, I had a medical check-up for an application into the Royal Marines. I had a date to do my officer selection and was ready to do it and the only thing in my way was the medical. Unfortunately I failed that medical due to the question "Do you have any joint pains, particularly in the knees?" Thinking I may as well be honest so that I don't get pensioned out in my late 20s incase something is wrong I said "Yes, often when I run and when I've sat down for a while." I thought it was just my knees getting used to the running and getting stronger. However this failed me, as it could've have been quite serious and fails most people in training for the Royal Marines when they start long marches with heavy weights. So that really annoyed me. But I've seen a physio who told me it was my calf and hamstring muscles being too tight, so they're causing some sort of stress in my knees. And now I'm stretching two or three times a day and still running and have been advised to get orthotics. Before the summer I could manage a decent pace for my size (between 6-7 minutes) but slacked off towards the beginning of summer (due to exams and a blow to my motivation). Now I'm running again and trying to improve my pace. A few questions though: Can you still run comfortably with orthotics? I'm thinking of doing training for a sub 3 hour marathon (in order to boost my fitness as much as possible) and am going to see how it goes, or is this a stupid idea?

Mitch & Pete's Mom

My personal experience: I had my right knee operated on when I was 14 after a soccer injury where I tore the minisucs and the IT band (don't ever let anyone tell you girls don't play tough). It has been more years than I want to admit since I had my surgery. There was lots of therapy and lots of weight lifting. I still do a fair amount of weight training to keep my quads and hams in shape in order to reduce the stress on my knee. Two other things to consider are Glucosamine and Condroitin supplements and swimming. I say keep running but be smart about it. Keep your goals within reason. Such as, can you train for a 1/2 marathon without knee pain. Then move up to the full.
      Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.