Commuting runners (Read 699 times)

Just trying to find out if anyone else is occasionally killing two birds with one stone and doing their commute and planned run at the same time. And if so, could you share how you do it: how long, logistics, etc. Maybe learn some things from that and inspire others to do it! My experience: [start bragging] I'm fortunate enough to live only 3 miles away from work (actually it's not a question of luck, it was one of the main criteria for finding a place to live). To get to work, it usually takes me about 30 minutes by bus and walk or 10 to 20 minutes by bike. I never drive. I'm very fortunate to have a workplace equipped with a locker room and showers! Big grin[end bragging] You don't have to think long about it in my case. Joining your commute and training run in one go is a no brainer, specially in winter when I don't bike, since the bus+walk commute is longer: a 45 min run ends up costing me 15 minutes net on my schedule. However there are some logistics issues. If I run to work, I need some clean clothes waiting for me there. So, I have to plan ahead and bring these over the previous day. Which means I can't run to work the previous day. When I run the other way, I get clothes accumulated at work and need to bring them back. And since I don't have a collection of some items like shoes and winter coats, running home on two consecutive days is not viable. Every other day works. Or run to work on day 1 and from work on day 2. I've done all kinds of runs on the way to work: easy, tempo, intervals and long runs. Even a long run fits nicely if I leave early enough. I love running TO work as I feel energized after I get there and shower. I hate running back home because I'm usually drained by the time I go home and I just dislike running in the evening. So are there others commuting runners out there? Please share your experience. - R
    Hammer86

I know exactly what you mean. I am lucky in that i do shift work and have to drive a few days during the week, so bringing clothes to and from work is a bit easier. But having to plan what to take into work gets a bit complicated somtimes, along with lunch and paperwork ! Nightmare Confused I sometimes find that i end up with a back pack rammed with stuff. Would be nice if i was alllowed to take my bike on the train during normal office hours. i am limited to the trains that start really early and come home really late - would break up the pattern of running every day..!
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I do this from time to time. My commune is 7.5 miles, or longer if I take the scenic route. It is a great way to kill two birds, and some days I do this as a double. My office backs up to the gym so showers are very easy. When I am going to do this, I keep clothes at work for the week. I run with my wallet, cell phone and keys in a small small backpack so I don't have to leave them at work or home. Also I sometimes plan to do the commute on a sequential morning and evening or evening and morning so that I don't have to deal with getting a ride or bus. So for example: Drive to work Tuesday morning. Run home from work Tuesday evening (leave car at work). Run to work Wednesday morning. Drive home from work Wednesday evening. Sometimes I also mix this up with a bike commute, although I have not recently.
          Same here for the wallet, phone and keys, they go in my hip belt, that's all I usually need. Another sticking point is I have to leave my laptop at work or home if I do this, but that's ok sometimes.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am fortunate to have an extra old laptop that I can keep in my office for those days I need a laptop AND also commute.
            mikeymike

Until a few months ago I worked in Boston and would occasionally run the 14 or so miles from out here in the suburbs. I'd do it as a mid-week long run, the route had a few killer hills too. I'd take the train home or hitch a ride with a co-worker as I did not feel up to a 28 mile double. It took a little planning--I had to make sure I left my laptop at the office and brought a change of cloths the day before. But we had a shower. It generally took me a little less time to run there and shower than it would to do my normal morning run, shower, then commute to work. So it was really a transparent long run, schedulewise. I would just put my cell phone and wallet in a small ziplock bag and put that in the rear pocket of my jacket or shorts (depending on time of year.) Now I work from home so all my morning runs end at my office.

Runners run

Burninated Peasant

I'm jealous. My work lacks a serviceable shower, though there is a closet with a garden hose and a drain in the floor next to one bathroom. This closet is labeled as a shower so that they can advertise to new recruits that the building has a shower. They don't even bother to unlock it or clean it anymore since they haven't hired anybody in so long. I need to find a new job...

I've walked to work before when I lived closer, and will occasionally bike to work (but not in winter.) There's no shower except at the elementary school a few miles from work, so if I did run then I'd still have a couple of miles to walk and would need to carry my clothes and towel with me. I have on occasion gotten a ride to work with my wife and then run home from work - it's about 13 miles uphill in that direction which makes for a good workout.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I have the good fortune of 6 miles of singletrack between my home and work that I can ride or run. The only problem is now it's covered in 2 feet of snow. Cry Starting my day off with a run/ride is fantastic. I am way more productive and have a much nicer demeanor (which makes my employees happy). I carry a camelbak to bring all the essentials with me. It works great. I can't wait for summer!
                    freckles

i run home from work about once a week. but it is easy for me as my friend from work lives round the corner so she gives me a lift in and then i run home. its only 3.5 miles too. now i'm thinking i should do it more often!

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

Oh Mighty Wing

i'm jealous!! i'm 10mi from mork and would love to run home as it would give me plenty of day light. unfortunately it involves either a high way or heavily traveled non pedestrian friendly back roads.
                          Glad to see so many commute runners! I'm wondering whether running 10 miles in the morning and 10 miles at night would be equivalent training as running 20 miles straight. I remember reading a while ago something about splitting long runs to make it easier on your joints, but it seems you would loose some of you long run's value. - R
                            I'm so jealous of you people who can do this. I live 22 miles from work via the shortest route but I wouldn't hesitate to cycle back and forth if I had a safe road to go on. Keep up the good work everyone. Wink

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

I run home from work once or twice a week. It's an 8.5 mile run through the city and some park land with one decent climb. I typically just bring in my running stuff and leave my work stuff here. It's not that hard to do because I take a train to and from work the rest of the time and can bring my work stuff home the next day, at least in theory. For me these runs as killing three birds with one stone because often I run home pushing my toddler in the running stroller.
                                Wow! That a great workout. Are you able to bring some of your stuff on the stroller? - R