Is there such a thing as luck? (Read 1016 times)

If you drive whiled intoxicated, and don't get pulled over, that's pretty lucky. 

But, if you DO get pulled over, I don't believe it's bad luck at all. It's just pure stupidity.    ( knock on wood!)

It's just a concept I'm pondering right now.   I feel I have had some very good luck in my life, and some of the things I worked for, and other things were just chance.    Everyone knows " hard luck" people.  It just makes you wonder...

- Anya

what if you get pulled over a split second before you were about to plow into some children crossing the road.  I call that lucky!

It's lucky that your alcoholism hasn't killed you already

it's lucky that your wife and kids haven't left you already

Good fortune is all around us, some just choose to overlook it and complain about what they don't have. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't know if I believe in luck...but a part of me really believes in Fate.  Lots of crazy instances of being in the right place at the right time.  I guess that's lucky timing...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

MoBramExam

If you drive whiled intoxicated, and don't get pulled over, that's pretty lucky. 

But, if you DO get pulled over, I don't believe it's bad luck at all. It's just pure stupidity.    ( knock on wood!)

If you drive while intoxicted, and don't get pulled over, that still just pure stupidity...

On the original question, if you practice getting lucky every day, it tends to happen more often.  Bad things still occur, you just don't notice them as much.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I find stories like this wrong on some level:

He had a massive heart attack, and underwent triple bypass surgery.  He's lucky to be alive.

He was stranded on the mountain for three days, and lost both legs to to frostbite.  He's lucky to be alive.

Thirteen of the 247 passengers survived the plane crash.  They're lucky to be alive.

Lucky?  Seems to me the person who didn't have the heart attack, wasn't stranded on the mountain, and whose plane didn't crash, was the lucky one.

Half Fanatic #846

Ad stapled to telephone pole:

Lost Dog - walks with a limp, has a crooked tail, is blind in one eye with some mange. Answers to "Lucky"...

And - What about Opposite Day???

BTW, instead of "He's down on his luck" - shouldn't it be "He's up with his luck      okay, that's not a real good example.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I don't know if I believe in luck...but a part of me really believes in Fate.  Lots of crazy instances of being in the right place at the right time.  I guess that's lucky timing...?

I second that.  It's just weird how sometimes things work out.  I've had a lot of those things happen to me it seems.  

I feel stupid to admit that I've totally taken them for granted. But, when you count them up, it's pretty amazing. 

- Anya

what if you get pulled over a split second before you were about to plow into some children crossing the road.  I call that lucky!

Yes, indeed.  

Don't worry, I don't drive drunk, but, I can't say I never have in the past.  I had done this on occassion, a very long time ago, and it chills me to the bone just thinking about the "what if's"    And I'm sure getting a DUI is one of the best things that could have happened.    

- Anya

Am I doing this right?

Hmmm...this seems like about the right time to bring up predestination.  I wonder where that fits in?

No excuses....

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...this seems like about the right time to bring up predestination.  I wonder where that fits in?

Holland, MI.  Lots of Christian Reformed and Reformed Church of America institutions... Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

On the original question, if you practice getting lucky every day, it tends to happen more often. 

I practice getting lucky most days. Alas, real luck hasn't happened any more often. But, I'm booked into Carnegie Hall!!

Liz

pace sera, sera

I don't know about luck, but I am banking on karma;

I walked out of my office this morning and saw an older guy (with disabled plates) half way through changing a flat tire.

I ran over and finished the task for him. Put everything back in his trunk and wished him well.

While I would offer to help most anyone change a tire in these circumstances, I did not give him the option. Dude was wheezing something fierce.

I found a check someone had dropped in the road during my run.

I picked it up and dropped it off at my bank to call the owner

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Slice

I don't know about luck, but I am banking on karma;

I have to believe in karma. I'm a nice person who does things like returning dropped items to their owners and think "I'm glad it was me that found that!" I'm forever losing/breaking/generally screwing up stuff. I see great things happen to shitty people. I have to keep believing that one day karma will bite them in the ass and I will eventually stop screwing stuff up.

Believe in Luck? Eh. Not superstitious stuff. Fate? Definitely.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

(disclaimer - I am an engineer)

Luck, sort of. Fate, I don't think so. Probability, definitely. 

I define luck as how things go when the odds become involved than could be expected. Most times our sample size is much smaller than that necessary to come close to the odds, so it really is luck.

Lottery tickets, many people who buy them have a 0% success rate. Those who win are well beyond the statistical overall success rate.

Larry Niven (very good sci fi writer) had an idea about humans being bred for luck by aliens. Okay, so the alien part was weird, but breeding for luck was an interesting concept.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Karma is more to my liking than luck. You bring into your life the things you focus on. Focus on the positive and good  things come your way.Focus on the negative and misfortune will follow.

Will I BQ at 3:39. Yes, I will. I did the work.

Yesterday,I found $10 in the restroom of a small  noodle factory. Maybe 10 employees. Returned the money to the manager. It was probably more than a workers  hourly pay. Even if the manger keeps the money I feel good about myself. Do good  works and the  good will return to you.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/