damp rain wear (Read 823 times)

Besides on my run I did the math 10-18 C isnt even cold rain.  that's 50- 65F  That's like summer rain. 

Yeah, but the OP is in Taiwan and probably used to the prevailing climate there.  (I work with a guy from Singapore -- he'd be bundled up in 55* weather and likely wouldn't run if it were raining (too cold).)

And +1 to using a base layer to keep warm rather than dry.  FWIW, I have an Asics Storm Shelter jacket that's windproof/waterproof, but I'll still get a little wet underneath it from rain going down my neck.  A dry base layer and a little wind protection should work well for you.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

i agree those are summer temps.  I  usually just wear shorts at 50-65F and make sure the drawstring on waist is tied.Wink 

But if too cool for you, try a light wind breaker made of some plastic/polyethylene windbreaker material.  They are usually  water resistant but don't breath well, i.e., you will sweat.  I use them in winter rains when I need to run in colder rain with multiple layers.  I have a few Nike and even an Izod - both fold up into pocket pouches.  Other option is a rain poncho.

My summer temps are 35-40C (94-104F) and high humidity, and I wasn't complaining about the low temps.  Those temps, if it's dry, are great; when it's been raining for a month with those temperatures, I get cold wet skin if I run in the rain.  

I'm probably taking the advice of a windbreaker, just not sure what fabric.  I've got an old Puma one, but it hangs like it's made out of cotton in the rain.  Thinking maybe a more fitted one, anyway

Thanks for all the advice

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

Yeah, but the OP is in Taiwan and probably used to the prevailing climate there.  (I work with a guy from Singapore -- he'd be bundled up in 55* weather and likely wouldn't run if it were raining (too cold).)

And +1 to using a base layer to keep warm rather than dry.  FWIW, I have an Asics Storm Shelter jacket that's windproof/waterproof, but I'll still get a little wet underneath it from rain going down my neck.  A dry base layer and a little wind protection should work well for you.

Yeah, attitudes to the cold here are a little out-of-whack, but it's all relative.  My In-laws put a sweatshirt on my daughter at 75 degrees.

Thanks for the recommendation for Asics.  I'll look into it.

Feeling the growl again

I'm probably taking the advice of a windbreaker, just not sure what fabric.  I've got an old Puma one, but it hangs like it's made out of cotton in the rain.  Thinking maybe a more fitted one, anyway

This is why I use a vest at those temps vs the jacket -- if you're going to be wet anyways, the vest will keep your core out of the wind while providing little to hang and flap in the wind.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

little to hang and flap in the wind.

I thought you used wind shorts to keep the little guy safe.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

I thought you used wind shorts to keep the little guy safe.

Not necessary at 55F....and I was referring to the flapping of the jacket.  Wink

<<insert some snark about the appropriate term being swaying rather than flapping for something of that size>>

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Sugoi and Pearl Izumi tend to be on the fitted end of the spectrum.  I've never had any of their outerwear, so I can't speak to waterproofness.  My Sugoi and PI cycling stuff seems pretty well-made.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

+1. The only time staying dry is really important is when it gets below 0F. Then wet equals rapid heat loss. If you swear a lot early on when it is that cold you will freeze later in the run.

Snark alert.  Couldn't help it, but I love the warning about swearing a lot early on in the run. Smile

+1 with what Spaniel said.  Having the wicking layer first, against your skin, makes an amazing difference.