Over 1000 miles for the year (Read 811 times)

On Thursday I went past the 1000 mile mark.  For me this is really great progress considering that last September was the first time in my life I had run more than 40 miles in a month.  I ran my first half marathon this year, then my second and am coming up on my third one.  I have also set new PR's in every race I have run this year.

I'm stalking another one in the HM (going for something sub 1:50) and the 5K (looking for 23:30) yet this year. 

The advice of many on these forums, got me interested in upping my mileage and racing longer distances.  It also helped me learn to do it the right way.  Other than some lingering plantar fasciitis and one bout of posterior tibial tendonitis, I have been pain and injury free. 

I know it is unlikely that I will maintain the rapid progress I have been making this year, but it has been fun watching my race times improve so much. I'm toying with running a marathon next season.  We shall see.

Thanks to all who offered advice to me on previous posts.

"I aim to misbehave."

The King of Beasts

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

LOL.  What are the odds?

"I aim to misbehave."

The King of Beasts

Good work on the Miles

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

awesome accomplishment  Mike!  you are young & therefore will continue to only get faster.  just keep doing exactly what you have been doing through the winter months.  When you come out of the darkness of winter into Spring you will be noticably faster!!
            Kenotic Runner

Big congrats.  In 2008, I had a horribly bout with plantar fasciitis.

I went into 2009 with no goals, hopes, or aspirations other than to be able to run, again, somehow.

Right now I'm 12 miles behind the 1,000 mile pace bunny.  This is the closest I've been to the bunny since the first week of January.  I hadn't run at all the second half of 2008 and the first half of 2009 was building up mileage slowly.

Now, it looks like I'll finish the year with (fingers crossed)...  1,000 miles.

I may not hit it until 12/31/2009 though.

Hearty congrats and best wishes with the goals ahead.

congrats on 1,000 kr/Mike!  that is my goal now as well but have a bit to go.  Gets tougher in next month & half because of family visiting in Dec.  & the normal expected crappy PNW weather.

Mike, we have a very similar background this yr, I would also like to say a loud THANK YOU to Ra & all the RA people for the motivation & advice!!   In fact now going out for hopefully a long slow easy run ??(recurring calf issue from trail race on Sunday)