Aggrevating knees - any words of wisdom? (Read 729 times)

I've got that knee tracking disorder... patellar femoral syndrome, I think it's called? I went to an orthopaedic doctor, who suggested lots of knee strengthening exercises and failing that, knee braces to wear while running and hiking (I went hiking a couple months ago and had to crab walk down the hills because it hurt my knees so much!! Black eye ). I never had that problem while hiking until I took up running last fall. So I went home, and did the exercises religiously 3x a day. I do have a patellar knee brace, and tried wearing them on a run but can only stand to wear one at a time, but I don't think they do anything. Here's the weird part: my knees don't hurt when I run, it's the rest of the time I'm awake. They hurt when I sit for long periods of time, they hurt going up & down stairs, sometimes they just ache, even if I'm sitting with them straight out in front of me. Confused I had to take 3 weeks off recently due to a nasty chest cold, and my knees felt totally fine the entire time. No problems with stairs, nothing. I am better now, and started running again this week, and I'm right back where I was with the knee pain. It's frustrating. I don't run that far either - I'm only at 3 miles, a few times a week. I run slowly. I stretch lots, I drink lots of water, most of the time I ice my knees after a run... I think I'm doing everything right. I know concrete is hard on the knees... but I don't own a treadmill and besides, I do love to run outside, even in the pouring rain. The x-rays showed a bone spur on one knee but it doesn't give me any problems. And no signs of arthritis. ??? Confused Any of you knee experts out there know of anything else I can try?

Michelle

Sad I feel your pain. I have my first 26.2 race on Sunday and almost 2 weeks ago on a 5 mile run during and after I could not walk. took a week off still very bad pain when I run feels like a knife is in under the knee cap hurts when I'v be sitting long too. I am sooo sad! I go to a sports doc. on Wednesday. Have you tryed your brace when you are not running or put your foot up when your are sitting? I head core training helps as well. Good luck!!!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had this problem after a few weeks of running in a pair of Kayano 13s. Went back to the NBs I had been wearing and the problem went away. I think the Kayanos were maybe too stable. I seem to have knee issues whenever I am in a shoe that is too stable or too neutral for my needs.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

VictorN

I think Kirsten is on to something. Are you sure the shoes you are using are appropriate for you? If you haven't already done so, go to a good running store (not some national chain sporting goods or sports shoe store) and get an expert opinion. Was the orthopedic doc a runner or does he or she have experience working with runners? If not, I'd discount the advice and seek additional medical advice...or perhaps the advice of a running coach. Sometime local running clubs will have coaches attached who might be able to advise you. Victor

Maggie & Molly

I went to an ortho guy last month because me and a 18 wheeler almost bumped heads and after that I had pain in the outside of my left knee. He sent me for an MRI and told me that I have ITBS and patellar femoral syndrome. He said that most likely I already had the pain but the situation made me notice it. I now have to wear a brace when I run, cross train, whatever. Doesn't make me happy. The thing is that the DR keeps referencing 'pain' and I'm not really in pain. Every now and then it is what I would call discomfort but not true pain. I figure I'll do the exercises he gave me and wear the brace for awhile and then re-evaluate. Stinks. *oh and he is a sports ortho guy with a great reputation for working with runners.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
            Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Yeah, my ortho is a runner. But I think the idea of a discussion with a running coach is a good one. My shoes I got at South Sound Running, a local specialty running store. A few months ago I also went to Road Runner and did that shoe testing thing where you step on a gel pad so they can see the imprint of your foot, then watch you run on the treadmill, and they recommended the same shoe the guys at South Sound Running did. These shoes I've had for a year but they don't have a lot of mileage on them yet, and I only wear them while running - not walking or to the grocery store. But, it's worth a trip back to the running store anyway. I need yaktrax and they carry them so maybe I'll get them to work with me some more. Really at this point I'll try anything. I think it's interesting that they don't hurt when I run, only the rest of the time. Roll eyes Stairs, mostly downstairs but sometimes up, are the real killers, and getting up and down off a chair/couch seems to put a lot of pressure on the knee cap and it is bothersome. I'll head to the running store this week and see what they have to say. Thanks, you guys!

Michelle

robertfitzgerald

Try ibuprofen 1/2 hour before your runs/exercises. That really helped me through the worst part of my knee/ankle injuries during university track/xc. Also, make sure you are getting enough sleep, protein, vitamins, water, etc. I think the exercises should be good though, as long as you are keeping everything balanced. Sometimes if you overtrain one leg muscle without keeping up with the rest, it can put tension on your tendons when you run. A good exercise I do to keep knee pain at bay is a reverse calf raise. Basically, stand with one foot on the edge of a step with about 2/3 of your foot hanging off. Use your other foot (completely on the step) to lift your body so the first foot is now parallel to the ground (still 2/3 hanging off). Shift your weight to the first foot and (with that leg straightened), slowly descend *almost* as far as you can (don't overstrain, it can hurt your ankle). Use the other leg to bring you back up. Basically, you only want to start by having the calf *lowering* you down, not raising you up. It can be good to start with 3 sets of 10-12 for each leg. Also, I always do another nearly identical exercise before/after I run. Basically do the same exercise described above, but have your knee bent. Its hard to say exactly how much to bend your knee; slightly more than "slightly bent". Maybe 140deg between the lower & legs. To do this correctly, you should be feeling your head go up and down as you do it. If your head is staying still, you are just straightening your knee as you lower your heel. I've been doing these 2 exercises for a while whenever I'm in training, and they seem to work pretty well. You can go up and down on one leg (without the other leg helping) once you feel comfortable and the pain is gone. It is important that you keep doing the exercises even after your knee/leg stops hurting. *disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, I have no training in sports medicine, etc. what works for me might not work for you. if it irritates the injury more, stop doing it (no pain-no gain does no apply with injuries). Good luck!
                  A lot of patellar femoral syndrome is caused by muscle imbalances and ITB tightness. The IT band and lateral (outside) muscles of the thigh are pulling the knee cap to the outside which causes it to track incorrectly causing pain. As a massage therapist, I would do a very intense myofascial release on your IT band, which you could not get alone using the foam roller, and I would do it about once a week for 2 to 4 weeks. You would grit your teeth, maybe shed a tear or two from the pain, but it would work. I would also massage the lateral heads of the quads, getting them to loosen up, but not the medial heads. If you use a foam roller, concentrate on the outside and side of the upper thigh and not the middle and inside of the thigh. You want those medial muscles to HTFU and pull the kneecap back into position. IF you want quick results, go see a massage therapist who: 1) specializes in injury treatment work, and 2) knows what they heck they are doing and 3) isn't afraid to make you cry like a little girl cause ITB treatments hurt (had it done, know from experience).
                  Have you got a flag?
                    I have that problem too. I have found that making sure I stretch my quads well and icing my knees after runs helps. I have never completely got rid of it though. Hope you can find something to help yours.