Garmin Foot Pod + Eliptical (Read 1138 times)

Okay why use a foot pod with a FR305? Mostly 'cause it gets dark early in the evening, I travel quite a bit, and it is not always easy to find a good run in a strange town. Most hotels though do have a (usually crappy) treadmill. Problem is that makes the weekly log look sort of .... well weak. I know the FR305 + Foot Pod is supposed to work with "impact" sports, (walking, running, sprinting) but the Garmin web site says it will not work with cycling or elliptical type equipment (non-impact). Are they being overly cautious in their literature, or not? Anyone out there using a foot pod on a stationary bike/spinning or elliptical successfully?
    TJoseph

Why would a treadmill run make your log look weak? I log my treadmill runs. 7 miles on a treadmill doesn't look any weaker than 7 miles outside. That being said, the Garmin makes it easier for me to run outside when I am travelling. I just run out the front door of the hotel and don't feel like I need to pre-measure a run. Sometimes I will bring up a Google map first to see if I can find a nearby trail.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Are they being overly cautious in their literature, or not? Anyone out there using a foot pod on a stationary bike/spinning or elliptical successfully?
        The footpod counts on that impact to determine exactly when the step is taken. I've never tried it on a stationary bike, but that's my understanding.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

TJoseph, I did not state this well, running on a treadmill does not make it look weak (and I was going for a bad pun...) the fact that if I do NOT log any runs, including treadmill runs, makes the weekly mileage look low = weak for the week. Yes, I enjoy the Garmin outside and being able to wander wherever I want to on a run. Just running in a new town, unknown neighborhood, after dark = not all that appealing.... I guess I could run 50 laps of the parking lot. Just was hoping if the foot pod worked on elliptical (which I have one at home - but there I run outside 98% of the time) it would be worth it, but if it only works on tread mill not so sure. I was thinking sometimes something works, but maybe not so well they want to advertise as a function, but good enough. TKS for the responses.
          TJoseph

I guess I misunderstood you. Yeah, I stayed in a hotel in the Hollywood area a few years ago near a hospital that my mother was getting back surgery at. The treadmill was broken, so I started to go for a run outside. I got about one block before I realized what a really bad idea that was and went back into the hotel. Tom