Reinjuring a stress reaction... (Read 40 times)

insomniabelow

In late February, I had an MRI that confirmed that the calf pain that had been dogging me since November was a grade 2 tibial stress reaction. My ortho told me 6-8 weeks swimming only, then 4 weeks elliptical or bike, and then slowly go back to running.

I've swum for the past 10 weeks.  Overall, I've had no pain, and there's no longer any tender spot on my bone. With my doctor's blessing, I introduced the elliptical last week (3 times total) and have been going slowly--15 minutes first time, then 20 minutes, and last time 25. I've felt great the entire time.

However, a few hours after my last swimming session on Wednesday, I noticed a slight weird sensation in my calf while walking around. It intensified over the evening, becoming mildly painful in a jabbing way in the bone. The bone didn't hurt Thursday and Friday, but my calf muscles have been tight, uncomfortable and taut while walking... just like they were when I first got the stress fracture. It's like I went back to square one.  Since I last did the elliptical on Monday, I don't think that's what did me in--thinking maybe kicking off in the pool?  But I've been kicking off the wall edge while swimming this entire 10 weeks without a problem, so...  I don't know why it would suddenly be a problem now :/

For what it's worth, I've pressed up and down my bone 132958239058329085 times and can't feel any tenderness anywhere, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. The calf muscle stiffness really worries me, though.

Did I permanently reinjure myself and have to start all over? I'm sick about all of this. I want to get back to running so, so, so badly, and the idea of sitting out for another 2 months just horrifies me. Or is it possible my bone just got a little irritated and I haven't done any permanent damage as long as I back off and go more slowly?  I have osteopenia and amenorrhea from anorexia (yes, I am getting treatment, so please don't tell me not to run), so I'm aware my healing process might be slower than the average person's.