How often are you sore from running? (Read 993 times)

I have been running 5 months now. I am still trying to build a base. So I am regularly increasing milage. I find myself sore from running at least several times a week. Is this unhealthy? I haven't had any injuries so far that havn't healed up with just a couple days off. If I have made it this long I must have been doing something right. I want run as long as possible in my life. If I hurt myself now it may keep me from running later. On the other hand I want to build up a base as quickly as I can safely do. How often are you sore from running?
      I get sore every time I need new sneakers.
      runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I have not been sore from running in years .You do not have a log , so I can not tell what you are over doing. Undecided .Soreness is a sign of over used muscles. Be careful.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Are you sore or muscles just tight?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

obiebyke

Define "sore." And can you open up your log so we can see what you're doing? My instinct is to say you've only been running for 5 months, so your body is catching up. But maybe you're pushing too hard too fast or something...

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

The Greatest of All Time

Rarely. And usually only after a race or very hard workout. I attribute my lack of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) to my superior use of protein products (at you Trent), but YMMV. Some people get sore, some people don't. It's pretty individual specific. But I would not recommend running too much on really sore legs. You will have to be the judge of what is too sore, but as a rule if it hurts a lot when you run, then don't do it.
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                Well I guess I am probably only "sore" a day or two a week, but I probably have several days a week I might be stiff/tight.
                  You will have to be the judge of what is too sore, but as a rule if it hurts a lot when you run, then don't do it.
                  Maybe it isn't the best way but... if I am sore at all and I want to run, I decide to run 1/2-1 mile and then see how I feel. I figure if it is something that running would make worst I would feel worse... If it feels better after running I figure it can't be that bad to run on it.
                  Nawk

Sore - Only after a race and I push all out. When training rarely sore... more so tight or stiff

The Greatest of All Time

Maybe it isn't the best way but... if I am sore at all and I want to run, I decide to run 1/2-1 mile and then see how I feel. I figure if it is something that running would make worst I would feel worse... If it feels better after running I figure it can't be that bad to run on it.
                      That's probably not a bad way to go about it. Sometimes increasing the blood flow to the sore area can relieve some of the pain, which running obviously does. Just be smart and listen to your body, and it sounds like you are. Smile
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                        Also out of curiosity if you get sore... what is more likely the cause, pushing the pace or pushing the distance?

Giants Fan

I only get sore after a race or sometimes a big up in mileage. But, if you are sore frequently, as someone else suggested, it might be a sign of overtraining. CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

A Saucy Wench

sore - usually only after a race -and even then not very sore unless its a marathon. But when I had been sick, even though I felt better, I was getting sore every run for the next 2-3 weeks. I would say pace usually does more than distance, but if you are always always pushing the mileage it will cause soreness too.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

kcam

I get what I define as sore legs after a marathon. My legs muscles hurt the next day and for a few days after that as well. Definitely DOMS, and I seem to suffer from DOMS much more than others I've talked to. I mean, I can't even walk down stairs without holding onto the railing for two days! I don't run for at least 4 days after a marathon. But I don't get that feeling even from a very hard workout day in training. More likely tight or fatigued would be a better description. Depending on how tired my legs feel I run some combination of sllower/ shorter.

A Saucy Wench

That works for tired muscles ok. Not so good for tendonitis or other injuries. Almost all of those will feel better after a couple miles...until you stop again.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7