Running with 5 year old?!?!? (Read 1160 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

My 5 year old has been watching me take running more and more seriously. Today she pulled me aside and said that she wanted to take a run with me. I agreed (since good habits start young) and said that we would do it this weekend. She has never expressed an interest before, and this was initiated by her. I started thinking, though, what's a good distance for a 5 year old? 0.25mi, 0.5? I don't really know. I want it to be long enough so that she feels like she ran (she's good at knowing when we're trying to appease her), but not too far that she won't want to do it again. Any suggestions?

http://xkcd.com/621/

I took my 9 year old nephew with me the other day. We went to a track. That way he could regulate how fast and how much felt good to him. I knew he would want to run faster than I could, but this way I could keep an eye on him. My general observation has been that kids like to run a little fast, then take a walk break, then run some more. I say take your 5 year old to the track, plan on a time (maybe 15-20 minutes) and she will regulate the distance. Most of all HAVE FUN!! Big grin
        my 7 year old nephew did a 1km fun race last summer and had no problems running it. My 5 year old nephew is going to do the same race this year. I have no doubts in my mind that he'll be able to do it. They're also active little farmboys who love to run and bike, etc. Take her on the cooldown portion of your run... that way you can still get your workout and tailor the run to her stamina!
        Ringmaster

I'd ask, her, too, while you're lacing up shoes, maybe, what she's got in mind: a run like you do, slow and long, or more of a race? My 4yo still thinks every run is a race, so she's more into the 40-yard dash runs. Lots of them after some play breaks, but just short racing dashes. But she really thinks this is a "run." If she establishes that she really wants to go slow and long, then I would let her set the pace and certainly not go further than about a 1/2 mile before heading back. Most children's "fun runs" or "marafuns", I think, are about one mile. If she gets tired before that, you can walk back. Have fun!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

Giant Flaming Dork

Thanks all! Those are some really good suggestions! The only time she ever sees me running is on the weekends when I'm coming home from the long run. Our driveway is a steep uphill, and DW usually gets them outside to cheer me on as I run up the driveway. I think it's really cute that she's taking an interest - either way. And I'm trying not to care whether she likes it or not (although I would really like a running partner later in life).

http://xkcd.com/621/

My 5yo son did the same sort of thing to me a few months before my last 5k. I told him they had a "kids fun run" and he got super excited and then wanted to run with me regularly. So, sporadically from the time he asked to the time of the race I'd take him on a kid training run. I made him walk for a little while first to warm up, and when he said he felt warm, we started to run at his pace for as long as he wanted to go. Of course, it was a blazing sprint (for a 5yo) followed by a stop and some huffing and puffing. Repeat for a little over half a mile, and he was ready to be done with it. We were just around the block anyway. During the run, we'd talk about how you should pace yourself and run at a training pace so you could go farther, but I still let him do whatever he wanted while we were out. We did this 3-5 times before the event, which was supposed to be 1/4 mile. When the event came, he was AMPED and lined up on the front row. He actually did really well. He didn't take off at a full sprint, and he managed to run the whole way, "swerving and zooming" (his words) around the people who stopped. I followed close behind and encouraged him toward the end when he seemed to be flagging a bit. He didn't need my encouragement once he saw the finish line though, and threw in a little kiddie kick at the end. I'm sure when I register for my next race, he'll want to do it all again, but he hasn't asked me to go on a training run again since the race.
              Brandon
                I've got a 6 (soon to be 7) year old who likes to run with Dad once in a while. We usually go out at a very comfortable pace and I let him dictate when we're done. In fact we've got a 2k fun run planned for the upcoming weekend that we're running together, so we've been "training" which means we run when he remembers the race is coming up which is about 1x/week. Bottom line, let the kid pick how often and how far as well as the pace for the run and you'll be fine.
                mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I'd say start training her to "jog" rather than sprint, and get her used to running and breathing properly. Take her as far as she wants to go, then walk (quickly) back home. That seems to be the biggest problem - they all want to take off like there's a bear on their heels, then end up sucking wind a couple of hundred yards into the race. Once she starts getting the hang of pacing, encourage her to go a little farther than she wants to, or run part of the way home as well. The most important part here is praising her and pointing out to her how much she is improving each time. Pretty soon she'll be ready to run a kids K, and maybe in a year or two a real 5K race will be in her future ! Yes Oh, and if you can, jump in and cross the finish line with her, then grab her to cross the line with you for your race! (I speak from personal experience - My 7 yo (see pic) ran the kids K at last years Race For The Cure (he was 6 then). We did a couple of similar distances around the neighborhood before the race, mainly to give him the idea of what to expect, and to give me a chance to teach him about pacing himself and not doing the sprinting and stopping, huffing and puffing thing. Then we started working on distance like I described above. After the race, his first comment was "Dad, that was REALLY hard!", followed shortly by "Can we do that again at your next race?" He got his own shirt, his own bib, and his own time. This year he wants to do the full 5K race, so we've been training at longer distances, gradually working up to a run-walk 5K which DW is planning on doing with him so I can race at my pace. If he doesn't get close to that distance by race day he will do the kids K again.
                    If you have some nearby park trails that are reasonably safe, try starting there and let her go at pace that's fun for her, even if it's sprint / stop / gasp for starters. Keep an idea of how much they run when playing anyway and that might be a good starting point for distance of first run. Eventually, she'll probably want to go longer and realize some value in pacing. I think it's helpful to make running seem like play. (well, it is, at least for me) A couple ultra runners have kids that they take with them when they're doing short, easy runs. I think the one was 6 yo when he did a snowshoe 5k (his mom runs the ss club) and did a typical start too fast. But by the time he was 8, iirc, he was beating most of the adults. (these races are small - generally < 10-15) good luck! it's great to get kids started early. 10-15)="" good="" luck!="" it's="" great="" to="" get="" kids="" started=""></ 10-15) good luck! it's great to get kids started early.>
                    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    JakeKnight

I started thinking, though, what's a good distance for a 5 year old? 0.25mi, 0.5? I don't really know. I want it to be long enough so that she feels like she ran (she's good at knowing when we're trying to appease her), but not too far that she won't want to do it again. Any suggestions?
                      Good for you - and for her. Awesome, in fact. I think little kids can actually do a lot more than you'd think, and I also think they tend to be pretty good at quitting when they should (unlike a lot of grown-ups). If it were me, I'd explain carefully that its going to be out and back - meaning she has to decide the turn back point knowing she'll still have to run home. Or at least walk home. And I'd bring a lot of water. Kids seem to get dehydrated easily and aren't always smart about taking care of it. Then I'd go run until she picks the turn around point, then run or run/walk back - and make a game out of seeing if you can get farther the next time or the next week or whatever. I'd leave it up to her, but I'll bet you could hit a half mile right out of the gate. Let us know how it goes. I'll bet you get over a mile pretty quick, and if she really likes it, I think you'll be doing 2-3 miles before you know it. I suspect she won't have much interest in much further - and if she does want to go further, I'd talk to a doctor about it beforehand.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

My 6 year old son runs approximately a mile with me at the end of my long weekend runs. He loves it and the slower pace serves well as my cool down. He has done a couple of mile fun runs and enjoys them a lot - my avatar is him finishing the last one he did. Make it fun...we play little games like "race" to the next mailbox, etc. If she feels like she needs to walk...just start walking for a little bit.

A Saucy Wench

When I have gone out with dd, we went before my run (not a bad warmup) and we ran as far as she wanted to run and then ran home. I would occasionally remind her she had to run home (she was 3 1/2 at the time). I think all told we went about 0.4 miles. This summer I want to try to get in some more with her.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7