VO2 (Read 1148 times)

danimalism

Does anyone have any information about VO2, what it's all about, and how runners can increase their VO2 numbers? Dan
      Losing weight(if needed), intervals, tempos and just plain running. Build up a base before going crazy on speedwork though. I have seen studies showing intervals increase vo2 the fastest and best but you will hurt yourself if not ready to run them.

My Hero

Does anyone have any information about VO2, what it's all about, and how runners can increase their VO2 numbers? Dan
        Running Formula by Daniels' is a great book that does a great job explaining VO2 max.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You can't really increase your VO2 max. You can improve how well you can exert relative to your innate Vo2 max tho.

SMART Approach

These links will be helful for you. http://www.coolrunning.com/major/97/training/hampson.html http://www.runningforfitness.org/faq/vo2.php

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Feeling the growl again

You can't really increase your VO2 max. You can improve how well you can exert relative to your innate Vo2 max tho.
              While we all have some built-in limits, your max isn't your max if you aren't trained to realize it. The above statement strikes me like saying you can't run a 5K PR, you can only approach your innate 5K PR. I get the point but I don't think it's fully accurate. VO2max is essentially the rate at which your body can use oxygen. Since oxygen is used directly to create energy, it's really a measure of the maximum amount of work your body can do without going predominantly anaerobic. Various improvements that can increase VO2max are cardiac stroke volume, capillary density, mitochondrial density, and aerobic enzyme levels. Different training can affect these variables to varying degrees. The same training that will encourage capillary development won't do as much for stroke volume etc. There are also variations in how much you can improve each; the research I've read indicates that capillarization can be increased incrementally for a long time, hinting at one of the values of prolonged high mileage. Enzyme and mitochonria levels, on the other hand, can be more or less maxed out in a few months of intervals and tempos.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

VO2 is simply the volume of oxygen used during an physical activity, such as running at a given pace. Everyone has a maximum limit to the VO2 that s/he can achieve while running. It is known as VO2max and establishes an upper limit on performance. Any level of running intensity below VO2max is known as VO2Submax. VO2max and VO2Submax are measured in units of volume (milliliters) per unit of weight (kg) per unit of time (minutes)....ml/kg/min. VO2Submax is improved by simply running in the general aerobic range.....basically, everyday "comfortable" running at a pace at which you can converse using complete sentences. Everyone also has an ultimate genetic limit for VO2max. However, training is needed to develop and condition your body to reach that genetic limit. For example, a person may have a genetic limit of 50 ml/kg/min, but a current VO2max of 30 ml/kg/min as a beginning runner. Through training, his or her VO2max can be improved to the genetic limit of 50 ml/kg/min. Such training takes the form of intervals run at VO2max. With consistent training, a person's VO2max can be fully developed to the genetic limit within a year or less. The pace (or velocity) at which VO2max is reached is known as vVO2max. As VO2max is developed, vVO2max also improves until the genetic limit is reached. Further improvements vVO2max beyond that point result from improvements in running economy, which is a measure of the amount of VO2 that a runner uses to run a given pace. In summary, your daily "easy" running improves VO2Submax. Adding regular (once every week or two) interval workouts advance VO2max to its genetic limit. VO2max intervals typically: --Are run at VO2max intensity, which is 95-100% HRmax or the pace that you can race for about 10 minutes. --Last for 3-5 minutes with equal recovery time between them. --Total about 15 minutes of interval time, e.g., 3x5-minutes, 4x4 minutes, 5x3 minutes....beginners at VO2max training could start with a total of 8-10 minutes and advanced runners may work up to as high as 18-20 minutes.

Feeling the growl again

I'd disagree with being able to max out VO2 in a year, especially for beginning runners. Incremental benefits at the top end get harder and harder to get, and simply going intervals consistently won't get you there. Note the number of people who train consistently yet continue to see substantial improvements for much longer than a year. There are other factors that figure into speed than VO2, but if you're still taking a minute off your 10K you aren't doing that without improving your ability to use oxygen.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

While we all have some built-in limits, your max isn't your max if you aren't trained to realize it.
                    VO2 ...
                    Like they said. He said it much more thoroughly than I. Big grin
                    JakeKnight

Great thread. Very helpful. Thanks to all.
                      you can't run a 5K PR, you can only approach your innate 5K PR. I
                      That sounds very zen. I'm pretty sure Bruce Lee coined that. I feel the need to go meditate on all its heavenly glory.
                      Everyone also has an ultimate genetic limit for VO2max. However, training is needed to develop and condition your body to reach that genetic limit. For example, a person may have a genetic limit of 50 ml/kg/min, but a current VO2max of 30 ml/kg/min as a beginning runner. Through training, his or her VO2max can be improved to the genetic limit of 50 ml/kg/min. Such training takes the form of intervals run at VO2max. With consistent training, a person's VO2max can be fully developed to the genetic limit within a year or less.
                      Fascinating stuff. What's the research on the variation in genetic VO2max between elite athletes and normal folks. In other words, are Paul Tergat and Lance Armstrong types always freaks of nature - or do they have minor genetic advantages that they've maximized through training? What's the variance for normal people? I guess the depressing question I'm trying ask is - does this mean I couldn't run a sub 18 5-k no matter what I did? Or does it not have that much effect until you get into the elite levels of effort? If this question makes no sense, its the beer. It makes perfect sense to me.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

I'd disagree with being able to max out VO2 in a year, especially for beginning runners. Incremental benefits at the top end get harder and harder to get, and simply going intervals consistently won't get you there. Note the number of people who train consistently yet continue to see substantial improvements for much longer than a year. There are other factors that figure into speed than VO2, but if you're still taking a minute off your 10K you aren't doing that without improving your ability to use oxygen.
                        Incremental gains in pace over the long term are due more to improvements in LT, which takes longer to fully develop (3-4 years) than does VO2max, and running economy, which can improve almost indefinitely. See http://home.hia.no/~stephens/timecors.htm for details. Incidentally, in the referenced link, Dr. Seiler actually says that a "previously untrained person" (beginning runner?) can actually plateau VO2max in as little as 3-4 months. Of course, consistent training, including interval training, is needed.
                          What's the research on the variation in genetic VO2max between elite athletes and normal folks. In other words, are Paul Tergat and Lance Armstrong types always freaks of nature - or do they have minor genetic advantages that they've maximized through training? What's the variance for normal people?
                          They say the best way to be a great runner is to choose your parents, right? According to this page: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/VO2max.html "Genetics plays a major role in a person’s VO2 max and heredity can account for up to 25-50% of the variance seen between individuals. The highest ever recorded VO2 max is 94 ml/kg/min in men and 77 ml/kg/min in women." By comparison, the general range listed for professional runners is something like 60-85. I think general population starts around 45? So yeah, you have genetic limits. But don't let that stop you!
                            What's the research on the variation in genetic VO2max between elite athletes and normal folks. In other words, are Paul Tergat and Lance Armstrong types always freaks of nature - or do they have minor genetic advantages that they've maximized through training? What's the variance for normal people? I guess the depressing question I'm trying ask is - does this mean I couldn't run a sub 18 5-k no matter what I did? Or does it not have that much effect until you get into the elite levels of effort?
                            Elite runners typically have a VO2max above 70 ml/kg/min. "Normal" runners are more in the 30-60 ml/kg/min range. According to Tim Noakes in "Lore of Running, the highest reported VO2max levels ever recorded among runners was Dave Bedford's 85.0 ml/kg/min. But his book is 15-years old. Perhaps a higher level has been recorded since then. OTOH, Deke Clayton had a very low VO2max for an elite runner (69.7 ml/kg/min), set a marathon WR of 2:09:36 and ultimately ran 2:08:33, whereas Gary Tuttle had a VO2max of 84.4 ml/kg/min (second highest ever on Noakes list) but only managed a 2:17 marathon PR. BTW, VO2max is also sport dependent. For instance, elite cyclists and cross country skiers typically reach a higher VO2max than do their running counterparts. For a partial list of the VO2max of several elite athletes and general running categories, see http://www.runnersweb.com/running/vo2_js.html. This list includes one runner with a higher VO2max than Bedford. Note the difference in VO2max between Prefontaine and Shorter....Pre's was 16% higher than Frank's. Yet, their 1-mile bests were only 8 seconds apart and their 3-mile best times differed by only 0.2 seconds! Shorter was clearly the more efficient runner. V)2max ain't the "be all, end all" of running. Smile We all have genetic limits. The only way to find out if yours keep you from ever running a 18-minute 5k is to try. Smile
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Matt Carpenter, Pikes Peak marathon course record holder, 92 Shocked
                              Actually, according to his bio page (http://www.skyrunner.com/bio.htm) he has been measured even higher....94.9!!!