Stupid new running shoes... (Read 1657 times)

Now that was a bath...

Or 'An ode to my blisters'. Well, I wore my new shoes twice and by the end of my second run my feet were in agony with blisters. I couldn't run yesterday as they were too painful but after a day's rest and care I managed a great run this morning in my old battered shoes without any trouble at all. I am trying to figure out what to do. When I bought the shoes the woman that assessed my feet was working her first day on the job. She said that she couldn't use the refit machine as it wasn't available but got me to walk barefoot over a few metres. She said my feet were perfect. I don't pronate or supernate. She then picked out the Asics for me and they felt really comfy at the time. When I run in them though I can feel the inside edge of my foot (at the heel) rubbing the shoe when I push off to run. I looked at my old shoes and I quite clearly supernate as the outside edge of them is worn away. I wish that I had thought to look earlier! My game plan is to take the Asics back, explain the situation and see what solution they can offer. I am not sure if they will exchange them as they were in the sale. If not, maybe there is an insert that I can use to rectify the situation! They are after all a store that specilises in athlete's footwear so I hopethat they will take me seriously. I am so fed up. I was so excited about having proper running shoes and now this! Please keep everything crossed that I find a solution. Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Yes, do take them back unless you like them so much that they'd make good gardening shoes!!! Take your old shoes in with you, too, 'eh? Wink They should at least be willing to do store credit. (BRING RECEIPT!) If they give you a hard time, bump it up to the manager, but a well trained staff wouldn't balk at that request.

Roads were made for journeys...

Teechur

Where did you get them from? A chain store or a local running store? Most chain stores are next to worthless when it comes to fitting shoes. A good running store will not just look at you walking because that doesn't say much at all about your running stride. A good running store will watch you actually run. They'll see how your foot falls. They'll have you try on three or four pairs of shoes and then let you take them out for a run outside. At one of the best ones in Seattle you can run around Greenlake if you want. A good running store will also have a 30 day return policy. Not that the chain stores are bad, but usually all it takes to get hired at Footlocker is an application and a pulse. Running stores tend to be full of people who are passionate about running and ONLY running. YOu won't find much in the way of other gear there, except possibly triathlon gear.
        JakeKnight

Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm actually surprised to hear it; I've had shoes that weren't the best, but I've never had them be this bad, or hurt this quickly. At least not when they were decent shoes. A word of advice: when you go back to the store, take those older shoes with you. And find someone who knows what the wear patterns mean. I always do that now, and once I find some grizzled old running guru who knows how to "read" my shoes (and they usually get strangely excited about it), I get a good new pair. It might not substitute having someone watch you run for a mile, but it can help somebody diagnose your feet. If they look at you like you're crazy for bringing in your old shoes, get a cash refund and run away to a different store.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Prophet!

bummer about the shoes...from my personal experience it is good to do some research yourself because even in reputable running stores you might get somebody who is having a bad day, or new, or for whatever reason ended up giving you the wrong type of shoes. Find out if you're high, med or low arch (do the wet foot on paper test) and check your old shoes on the mid-foot or forefoot section if its worn on the inside (pronator) or the outside (supinator) or in between (neutral). Which type of Asics did you get ? I have a low arch supinator and I've been using Asics Cumulus XIII 4E wide and have bought from the store and the next day run 20 miles on it with no problems. It may also be good to check out good running socks. I would look up the type of your old shoes on the internet and find some similar types of proper shoes do the same in the running store and see what they recommend. Good luck to find a solution quickly before other injuries can occur..

Now that was a bath...

OK I have new shoes. The store was cool. They assessed me on the machine then got me to run up and down the street. I have very high arches and apparently I was totally wrong - I pronate. I showed her my old shoes and she said that the reason they were worn down on the outside of the heel was that it was this area where my foot first struck the ground but that my foot then rolled inwards. I now have a pair or New Balance shoes and some funky expensive running socks. She though that the combo would be great as long as I kept distances under 20km. As she pointed out, I will need a new pair of shoes in October before the Marathon anyhow - so i'll get a different shoe then designed for the job. I am really nervous about running tomorrow! Claire xxx

Now that was a bath...

Ok - update. My new shoes were perfect! No issues at all. I am so happy to have finally sorted out my footwear issues. Will I be faster now, lol? Claire xxx
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, another NB addict--though I have even had a bad pair of NBs that were totally wrong for MY feet (bad, raw spot on my right heel/achilles area). Glad you got a good pair, now. BTW, which style did they get you into? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

Kirsten, I got the Achieve 782. The lady thought that they would suit me as they are mixed terrain shoes and the first race I am doing is a hilly one. I tired on several pairs of NB's. These ones were by far the most comfortable for me. Some of the others felt a little stiff and not so springy. Next I need to think about some proper running clothes so i don't look quite so 'Gumpy' around the neighborhood. It's the begining of summer here (starts next week) so i am going to look at getting some running shorts and a vest so that I don't get too hot. My 16 year old daughter looked me up and down when I returned from Saturday's run and said 'Mum, you need a new outfit. That's not a good look'. Whilst I don't run to look good - I do admit that what I am wearing is too heavy and too hot for this climate. I'll look quite the professional soon! All I need now is to learn to run as good as my kit, lol. Claire xxx
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

Maybe you can take her shopping with you ... and lure her into the dangerous world of running through clothing... Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, yeah...take your DD shopping! And if you can find one, try a running skirt--I think you will like them! They are like stretchy miniskirts with short "bike shorts" underneath. Really help chafing and nothing bunches up in the inner thigh area. LOVE them! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

I totally agree, Kristin! I LOVE my running skirt! Blush
                          2009: BQ?
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I totally agree, Kristin! I LOVE my running skirt! Blush
                            Trishie, check out this thread! I can't wait to get another running skirt! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay