Coming back from Anemia? (Read 84 times)

mnevenson

Hello all, I have just been diagnosed with anemia after feeling unwell on my runs for the past 2 months (shortness of breath and high heart rate) and my pace has dropped 1 to 1:30/mile on easy runs. I had just pr'd in the 5k with 27:13 and nowadays I can barely hit 33:00. I'm now taking iron supplements, how long do you think it will be to get back to my old pace? By the way I'm slowly increasing my mileage. I am doing the Heartland 39.3 series in the spring.

Also, I'm 20 years old and 115 pounds.

Latent Runner

This may not be the exact answer you were looking for, but here goes...

When my wife was an olympic hopeful running for the La Jolla Track Club, she was diagnosed with anemia.  Given that she has always been kind of a granola/Earth Cookie naturalistic type, she did some research and came up with organic black strap molasses.  She choked down not one, not two, but three tablespoons per day, and within a couple of weeks her doctor (who had perscribed some kind of a pharmaceutical iron suppliment and was none the wiser) proclaimed her cured.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

I started feeling better within the first two weeks of taking iron supplements.  It takes about 3 months for your iron stores to be replenished.

I have a blog post on what i discovered after finding out I was anemic:

http://ultracassie.blogspot.com/2012/07/ode-to-fe.html

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

RunsInTrees

I was diagnosed with anemia a couple of years ago. Mine was very severe and my running and general well being had suffered tremendously. While taking an iron supplement may help alleviate symptoms, you need to figure out why you are anemic to start with. It turned out I was gluten intolerant and was not absorbing iron. Once I fixed that issue, my health improved dramatically. It took me about 6 months to start to feel "normal" once I identified and took steps toward fixing the issue. Maybe 9 months before my body was healed and began to get stronger. Be patient and vigilant with follow up testing to see if the iron works. I also highly recommend taking iron bisglycinate (Thorne Research). Not all iron supplements work, but this one does. Good luck!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

you need to figure out why you are anemic

+2

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Ostrich runner

I glanced at the title while playing on my phone, and I thought it said "Coming back from enema." That'd be a more interesting thread.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum