Psychological support needed (Read 764 times)

Hi, I'm 40, started running a little bit more than a year ago, really enjoy it, and plan to keep running "forever". Smile The reason I'm writing now is because I need some "positive" arguments to convince my family. I'm the only runner in my family and I get the feeling some of my relatives think I'm not "normal" Just to "help", my doctor told me that running more than 3 times per week is not too good, the pharmacist told my wife that the human body is not "built" for running a marathon, and if that wasn't enough today my wife's gymnastic teacher told her that I'm too old to run the distances I'm doing, that she knows somebody who was preparing for a marathon and almost finished in a wheel-chair ... Guys, help ! Undecided Rafa

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

Browse this thread...... you'll see a lot of people who are much more healthy since running and I bet there are a lot of marathon finishers in there too. Before and NOW pictures! You will get a lot of advice here but the most common and best advice is Listen To Your Body, it will tell you when you are doing too much. Jason
      mikeymike

Yeah because nobody ever ended up getting hurt doing gymnastics Roll eyes We were born to run. Not everybody understands. Tell your wife about this woman: CLICK. Maybe that will put it in perspective for her.

Runners run

Urano....if you asked 100 different people what they thought, you'd get a hundred different thoughts. But none of those thoughts are your thoughts. Thank those people for their input, solicited or not, and then use your mind and thoughts to determine what's best for you. People, and their ideas, come into our lives for a reason. Mostly we'll never know what that reason was, but many times we do. Likewise, you have come into their lives for a reason. Just maybe that reason is to show the good things that running can provide.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            If (no, make that when) you encounter the "it'll ruin your knees" comment, you can carry around a copy of This Research Article to give to people. Just remember that there are a lot of people who have their minds set in stone and nothing you say or do or show them will change their opinions. When you encounter those people, just smile, change the subject, and then go out for a run after you're done talking with them. Big grin
              Hi, I'm 40, started running a little bit more than a year ago, really enjoy it, and plan to keep running "forever". Smile The reason I'm writing now is because I need some "positive" arguments to convince my family. I'm the only runner in my family and I get the feeling some of my relatives think I'm not "normal" Just to "help", my doctor told me that running more than 3 times per week is not too good, the pharmacist told my wife that the human body is not "built" for running a marathon, and if that wasn't enough today my wife's gymnastic teacher told her that I'm too old to run the distances I'm doing, that she knows somebody who was preparing for a marathon and almost finished in a wheel-chair ... Guys, help ! Undecided Rafa
              Your wife's gymnastics teacher? What is she 13? And the gymnastics teacher is saying that you're too old. That's rich. Here are my thoughts: Your doctor is a clown who obviously subscribes to Runners World. The pharmacist is sampling the products. 10-1 says either the doctor or the pharmacist is overweight (the body is not "built" to carry that extra poundage) and/or smokes (the body is not "built" to snarf on carcinogens). If the body is built to do anything, it's built to run. Before my great great great uncles and aunts invented the wheel, that's how we got our food and avoided getting eaten. You didn't have to be fast, just faster than the person next to you. So run. Run run run as much as you want within reason. Sorry, your wife's gymnastics teacher? Really? I thought I'd seen everything with Mary Carey taking ballet on Celebrity Rehab (is the body built to watch VH1?) Where's Long Run Nick when you need him?
                If (no, make that when) you encounter the "it'll ruin your knees" comment, you can carry around a copy of This Research Article to give to people. Just remember that there are a lot of people who have their minds set in stone and nothing you say or do or show them will change their opinions. When you encounter those people, just smile, change the subject, and then go out for a run after you're done talking with them. Big grin
                You're a much better person than I am.
                  I believe it was in 1983 or 1984; they had a race in Australia between Sydney and Melbourne--it was something like 580 miles or so. They had all the famous ultra-marathon runners from all over the world came to run this race (a big prize money). They had a 63-year-old man entered this race. He started running like 3 or 4 years earlier (but was a sheep farmer so quite active I would assume). Clif Yound, I think, was his name. Now, you've guessed it; yes, he won the race. The thing was; while most of the contenders were getting 8~10 hours of sleep a night, he kept on running with something like 3-hours-a-night sleep. He had 30-mile lead on the first day and he won it by something like 30-miles. The following year, he married to a girl who was 24 years of age. If this is not a good reason to keep on running, I don't know what is...
                    You'll get those comments all the time and they all come from non-runners. It's easy to be ignorant of something that you aren't interested in and just because you are a doctor or a pharmacist doesn't make you immune. To say that running more than three times a week is bad or that your body is not "built" for a marathon is simply absurd. Any doctor that discourages exercise shouldn't be practicing medicine. I've been running for eleven years now and my knees are stranger and feel better than they did before I started running. I'll be 54 years old in three months. My experience is that the body adapts very well to weight bearing exercise and becomes stronger because of it. Even if running did damage my knees I'd do it anyway. I can live with weak knees and a strong heart but it's pretty hard to do the other way around. Tom
                      You've come to the right place for help on this subject. I did some internet research and came up with the following from a very good source. Because it's great being fit Because on a "good run" the feeling is absolutely fantastic Because you want to find where your limits are Because it's a very good way to burn the stress of your work Because not being fat is not necessarily equivalent to being fit OK, I stole all of them from your profile. They happen to be excellent reasons, and easy for you to remember. Big grin Maybe most important of all, you're setting an excellent example for the handsome young men flanking you in the photo. When somebody tells them that running isn't good for your body, they can say "but I personally know a healthy old guy who's really happy..."

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

SMART Approach

Your wife's gymnastics teacher? What is she 13? And the gymnastics teacher is saying that you're too old. That's rich. Here are my thoughts: Your doctor is a clown who obviously subscribes to Runners World.
                        I would say the doctor probably suscribes to Cooking Magazine and should suscribe to Runners World to get a clue. My wife constantly tells me running will kill my knees. I have been doing impact exercise for over 20 years and my knees are just fine. The funny thing is that she is the one with knee issues. She is overweight. Being overweight and not exercising is much more likely to wear on the joint than regular running (not being overweight) and non runners are more likely to have knee issues than runners. Research shows this. The other quote I get from people especially my parents or older relatives is when they read about someone dying after or during a marathon or race. The say, "see running is bad for you and could kill you!". NICE! You won't change their opinions but this is what I recommend next time you are questioned. Tell whoever, "Running makes me feel great. I have more energy, my body feels great, it relieves stress, relaxes me and makes me feel good. Why would you discourage me from running when it strengthens my heart and mind and makes me feel so good? Why?"

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hang in there, Rafa! I get negative comments, too. So weird! Fortunately, my husband supports me, so I have it easier than you. I agree with BadDawg - just keep thinking of your boys to motivate you. All 3 of my kids (9, 12, and 15) are running now. The 12-year-old is overweight, but he keeps plugging! He's so proud of himself when he runs 3 miles. I don't see how anybody could see that as a negative! The other thing you could show your wife is a listing of marathon results. It always amazes me to see the NUMBER of people that are running, as well as their ages! You're not some oddball doing this - lots of other people run! Good luck! Teresa

Non ducor, duco.

Here is an idea. Don't tell your doctor or the gymnastics chick or your relatives. Do they really need to know? You could also tell them that you know someone that NEVER ran, got fat, had diabetes and DIED.

A Saucy Wench

Get a new doctor for starters... I had bad knees until I STARTED running. 40 is old if you are sedentary. It is young if you are a runner. I plan on running until I die. If I live to 120, then I will stop running and live out my years on the porch rocking chair. To old for the distance...that's rich...the older people tend to do MORE distance. MTA: But the sad truth is you will NEVER convince people. Just smile and say "Thanks for your concern!"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I agrre with getting a new doctor. If your getting bad advise about exercise, how do you trust anything he says. Your close friends and family will see the benefits both mental and physical in no time. Keep on running.